X

Centerstand and lowering kit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centerstand and lowering kit

Not sure if this is the right post, but since centerstand is the topic...I just got my replacement centerstand (thanks CP!). Now I know why the previous owner removed it, he/she installed a lowering kit. This causes the center stand to bump against the lowering link when it’s up. The side stand was also modified to make the bike stand correctly - the stand was heated and bent. Half assed mods... could have replaced with aftermarket adjustable side stand.
    I also am wondering if this lowering of the bike is what making it so hard to get up on the centerstand since you are starting at a different angle - its harder than my wing or any other bike I've owned...
    Thinking that for my riding type I won’t need the lowering kit, I am considering a couple of options.
    1) Replace the lowering link with the factory one. If anyone has one lying around, I'd be interested in it - trade to sell.
    2) Cut off the bottom whole as I don’t believe Ill be using it - as I understand it, this will lower the bike ever more. Right? But I am not sure if this will be enough for the stand to com up all the way to its resting position.
    3) Extend the stop bumper on the exhaust so that the center stand stop before touching the lowering links.
    Feedback, ideas?

Thanks.
    sunnyorlando
    sunnyorlando ...
    '08 Bandit 1250 S
    '05 Goldwing (;>>)

Shorten the center stand an option?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

depending on what links you have, the holes with the shortest distance to each other is usually pretty close to stock height, maybe one inch lower. aside from that cutting off the excess should solve your problem. I would not leave it hanging down like that, it tends to catch things in a hard lean in stock position as it is. Being pushed further to the ground will reduce ground clearance even more.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Thanks teddy - thats what I was thinking too. Now, do you know if I can mount those links with the adjustment holes on top instead of at the bottom? That way I wouldn't have to cut them... There is space, I just can tell if the bolts are the same size.
        Last edited by sunnyorlando; 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        sunnyorlando ...
        '08 Bandit 1250 S
        '05 Goldwing (;>>)

Comment

I say raise the bike back to stock height as long as you don't need it lowered to not be on tip toes.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Shorten the center stand an option?

Krey
            Not an option, this s at the top where the stand mounts to the bike. The bottom of the shock sits right inside the "U" area of the center stand. This is where the links touch the stand.
            sunnyorlando ...
            '08 Bandit 1250 S
            '05 Goldwing (;>>)

Comment

I just let my center stand ride on the lowering links. My config may be different though, because I have the bandit shock, the lowering links bring it back down out of the atmosphere.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I've got the stock dog bones

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyorlando View Post
                  Thanks teddy - thats what I was thinking too. Now, do you know if I can mount those links with the adjustment holes on top instead of at the bottom? That way I wouldn't have to cut them... There is space, I just can tell if the bolts are the same size.
                  Bolts are indeed the same, go ahead and try it. I just never flipped them because if I wanted to adjust it, it is soooo much easier to do the bottom bolt instead of the top.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                    Bolts are indeed the same, go ahead and try it. I just never flipped them because if I wanted to adjust it, it is soooo much easier to do the bottom bolt instead of the top.
                    Last night I turned these upside down so the extra adjustmet hole is at the top and see if it resolved my problem with the center stand - it did. Worked perfect.
                    Unless I decide to return the bike to its original height, I think I'm good for now.
                    How much (diff in height) and what do I gain/lose by going back to original height? My reach is more than sufficient... anything gained or lost one way or the other?

Thanks all!
                    sunnyorlando ...
                    '08 Bandit 1250 S
                    '05 Goldwing (;>>)

Comment

the aluminum dog bones with multiple hole suck donkey balls. I'm not telling you this so you buy my dog bones, personally, I don't care. PM ne-oublie.

Comment

Working...
                      X