X

oil change help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedKat91 View Post
    Well I picked up a REALLY nice K&N filter today for 12.99$ and put brand new 10w-40 in (4 quarts). SO glad I changed the oil today, it was thick and black/dark brown like Hershey's chocolate syrup.
    Thats good, but seriously, OEM filter. I find it hard to believe you dont have a dealer near you, what area of OH is Westlake in?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You can find Fram at WalMart or most auto parts stores. Otherwise I order mine from Bike Bandit. From Westlake you can take a nice ride down to Iron Pony in Westerville (Columbus sub.); former KMart superstore and huge!
      LMT

Comment

So I pose these two questions as they have me stumped.

1. When I have the bike in Neutral and I pull the clutch in and push the gear lever down into first, there is a pretty noticeable CLUNK and slight grind (almost as if the clutch is not fully disengaging and being neutral bombed into first gear).... could this be because the clutch is still engaged ever so slightly? How could I check things to try and diagnose this?

2. When I went to do my oil change this past weekend (yes, I used the proper wet-clutch motorcycle 10w-40 oil) I ran the bike a little bit to get the oil hot, and noticed that only my 2 left side header pipes were hot. The two on the right were still ice cold. So I'm assuming that either the carbs for those 2 sides are completely clogged up, or something? I have a new set of carbs for the bike, I just have to remove everything and put them on..... but while I'm in there tinkering, is there anything else I should check? Also, the RPM's get hung up at 3k and won't come back down... but this has me thinking that this is probably due to the fact that since the 2 carbs seem to be clogged, my AF screw is set too far out to compensate and keep the bike running when at first idle... but once it warms up, it is too far out and won't allow the bike to drop its revs back down.

Could this also possibly be the reason behind my CLUNK from neutral into first gear?

Thanks all!
        Last edited by RedKat91; 11-15-2010, 10:29 AM.
        Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

So I pose these two questions as they have me stumped.

1. When I have the bike in Neutral and I pull the clutch in and push the gear lever down into first, there is a pretty noticeable CLUNK and slight grind (almost as if the clutch is not fully disengaging and being neutral bombed into first gear).... could this be because the clutch is still engaged ever so slightly? How could I check things to try and diagnose this?

2. When I went to do my oil change this past weekend (yes, I used the proper wet-clutch motorcycle 10w-40 oil) I ran the bike a little bit to get the oil hot, and noticed that only my 2 left side header pipes were hot. The two on the right were still ice cold. So I'm assuming that either the carbs for those 2 sides are completely clogged up, or something? I have a new set of carbs for the bike, I just have to remove everything and put them on..... but while I'm in there tinkering, is there anything else I should check? Also, the RPM's get hung up at 3k and won't come back down... but this has me thinking that this is probably due to the fact that since the 2 carbs seem to be clogged, my AF screw is set too far out to compensate and keep the bike running when at first idle... but once it warms up, it is too far out and won't allow the bike to drop its revs back down.

Could this also possibly be the reason behind my CLUNK from neutral into first gear?

Thanks all!

1.) The clunk is pretty normal, unless the bike is lurching forward there isnt really anything to worry about. You can adjust your clutch cable to make sure but most bikes clunk into first like that.

2.) Yes, if 3 and 4 are cold odds are that you have clogged pilot jets. As for the idle, I think you mean you have the idle screw all the way out as the A/F mixture screws are actually on the carbs and there are four of them. The hanging can be a symptom of either a lean idle or a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake. Check the boots from the airbox to the carbs.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            1.) The clunk is pretty normal, unless the bike is lurching forward there isnt really anything to worry about. You can adjust your clutch cable to make sure but most bikes clunk into first like that.

2.) Yes, if 3 and 4 are cold odds are that you have clogged pilot jets. As for the idle, I think you mean you have the idle screw all the way out as the A/F mixture screws are actually on the carbs and there are four of them. The hanging can be a symptom of either a lean idle or a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake. Check the boots from the airbox to the carbs.

1) The bike isn't "lurching" forward, but kinda sounds like a quick grind noise with a fairly hard Clunk feeling.... after you loosen the big nut on the clutch cable, which way do you need to turn the screw piece to tighten the clutch up?

2) I bought a set of cleaned carbs for the bike, so I'm just going to have to swap them on sometime soon. As for the screw, yea, I meant the idle screw.
            Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
              Napa has the Wix filter for Kats, thats where I get mine. Around $6 I believe.
              That's what O'Rielly has.
              1996 Katana 600. D&D Custom Paint Job, Vance and Hines Full System, factory pro jet kit.

Comment

So just as an update, my Kat currently has the fairings off, the gas tank off, airbox out, hoses disconnected, and the Carbs ready to come out... if only I could figure out how to get the damn throttle and choke cables off... lol!
                Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

oem suz filter and i prefer ams oil or castrol 10-40 but 20-50 is fine aswell, you should read your service manual on which oil depending on climate you should use

Comment

Digging them up from the deep!!
                    04 SRT-4 with toys / 00 Katana 600 / 67 Mustang-Sold/ 88 Mustang-Sold / 92 Mustang-Sold / 97 Mustang-Traded

Comment

You can go to AutoZone or Advance if you are OK with Fram. Some don't like Fram. I bought mine from Bike Bandit. Emgo brand. There is a dealer on Rte 18 Medina. State 8.
                      LMT

Comment

So just as an update, my Kat currently has the fairings off, the gas tank off, airbox out, hoses disconnected, and the Carbs ready to come out... if only I could figure out how to get the damn throttle and choke cables off... lol!
                        Its a ******* to get the throttle cable off but after doing a few times as I have youll develop a tecnique....mine includes much swearing and gnashing of teeth.
                        Last edited by gwigs; 07-10-2011, 06:29 PM. Reason: typo
                        And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Comment

Originally posted by gwigs View Post
                          Its a ******* to get the throttle cable off but after doing a few times as I have youll develop a tecnique....mine includes much swearing and gnashing of teeth.

Haha... I actually found it fairly easy to get those cables off once I understood how they were locked in there.
                          And yea, the bike has been riding great ever since the new carbs went in,.... now I just need to replace the dang spark plugs that I forgot to do when the tank was off..... aarrrgggg... lol
                          Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

This thread is two years old. I'm pretty sure the guy has gotten his oil changed by now.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                              This thread is two years old. I'm pretty sure the guy has gotten his oil changed by now.

HAHAHA.... maybe... or maybe he's just been buying new bikes every year instead of changing the oil because he is still confused on how to do it!
                              Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

lol oh god that would be hilarious to see.
                                "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
                                2004 marauder 800

Comment

Working...
                                X