X

headlights dont work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlights dont work

im having a problem in which i cant get either of my headlights to work on high or low beam, im sure its an electrical problem just having trouble tracking it down, anyone else ever encounter this/have any trouble shooting tips?

hey man,
    I have the same problem I pulled my bulb tonight. I had to take off all the plastic on the sides to get it off. My bulb was toasted try that

Comment

both my bulbs are fine is the issue

Comment

In order:

Headlight, Tail-light or main Fuse.
        High-low selector switch.
        05 models only: headlight relay defective.
        Headlight plugs (melted from using over-rated bulbs).
        Wiring bad
        Plug disconnected at multi-pin connector over headlight (yellow or black 16 to 20-pin connectors).

I have a whole webpage dedicated to this topic to help you work through it, see:
        CyberPoet's "Motorcycle Headlight Electrical Diagnostics & Troubleshooting Page" at motorcycleanchor.com, now offering cheap permanent hearing protection for riders!

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ive been having problems with my headlights for about a month now, sometimes they work sometimes they dont. The last 2 weeks they have been working fine, however yesterday I went for a ride and they stopped working after I got some gas, then they decided to come back on Ive checked all my wires, ohmed out the connections, I think I just need to do the dieelectric grease thing and they should be fine, I think for me it has something to do with poor connections on the handlebar switch from humidity condensating in the switch oir something....I donno anyhting else it could be and Im really sick of messing with them.

Comment

I had the exact same problem about a month ago. My headlights (both low and high beams) just shut off all of a sudden (both bulbs). I looked at the fuses and they looked fine (even replaced the both the low and high beam fuse). I went so far as taking all the fairings off and checking every electrical connection on the bike but to no avail. Finally I just took my bike into the shop. It was a blown TAILLIGHT fuse. There is a relay between the taillight and headlights, so make sure you check that fuse...visual inspection sometimes isn't enough, so try replacing it. Hope this helps...I certainly could have saved $30 if someone let me know about the relay between the two.
            1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

found a blown port in one of the the connector boxes in the wiring and also the soder off of one of the wire in the high/low selector switch had come off and the wire was just hangin there

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie
                There is a relay between the taillight and headlights, so make sure you check that fuse...visual inspection sometimes isn't enough, so try replacing it. Hope this helps...I certainly could have saved $30 if someone let me know about the relay between the two.
                You sure? 'cause if you do have a relay, then either it's aftermarket or my Suzuki service manual is flat out wrong as it's not mentioned anywhere, even in the schematic

/kiba
                find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Originally posted by kiba
                  You sure? 'cause if you do have a relay, then either it's aftermarket or my Suzuki service manual is flat out wrong as it's not mentioned anywhere, even in the schematic

/kiba
                  I've never seen it in the 98 - 04 North American models either. Some other markets had mandatory four-way flashers and may have had this relay. The '05 model has a headlight relay (whether it's tied into the tail light is beyond me; I haven't seen the updated wiring schematic for the '05 models yet).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Huh...that's weird; the mechanic that worked on the bike said there was a relay...maybe HE was wrong. All I know is that when they replaced the taillight fuse, the headlights started working again. Maybe he just used the wrong terminology and being the newbie I am, I accepted his words. I'm curious now though that if there isn't some sort of relay, why would the headlights go out with a blown taillight fuse?
                    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Working...
                    X