X

GSXR750 or 1100 or GS1100ES

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR750 or 1100 or GS1100ES

Well, I am gathering parts for my build. The bike is a 82 Kat 750.

The GS1000 race engine fell through. Not a big deal.

I have an opportunity for the following motors. A working 91 GSXR750 motor with everything to make it run which is the carbs, harness exhaust etc for $700 was pulled in the spring to make a 7/11. There is also a complete 90 GSXR1100 runs but second and third gearing is gone (not a big deal) for $1000 and lastly is a GS1100ES motor with harness, CDI and such. It was just pulled this past Thursday but is running fine. No oil burning, compression is fine and gearing is okay.

Which one you guys go for? I know the GS may be the easy motor to put in. What are the disadvantages or pros for either engine?

The 750 is low on my scale but would like you input. The GSXR 1000, I know I can pick my parts a sell what I do not need or want.

Yes I am picking brains here>

Thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by ukilme; 10-25-2009, 01:51 PM.

That's a no brainer. GS1100ES.

Comment

I, personally, would go for the 750.

Comment

The 1100ES motor is by FAR the strongest, most bullet proof, & capable of producing the most power. On top of all that, it's a bolt in! The GS motor is a no brainer for me. Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

+1 on the 1100es (yes, coming from the guy with the B12 in his)

Comment

it depends on what you want it for so purely from a mechanical point of view & disregarding the cost .....

If you want an engine to tune the crap out of at the risk of making it unreliable or finicky for road use or to use purely on the strip buy the es engine

If you want similar power from a stock engine or mildly tune it & keep it reliable for the road buy the gsxr11 & sort the gearbox

if you want a reasonably quick but less torquey engine to put some miles on buy the gsxr750

If you have any questions on fitting the R engines to your frame & the pitfalls feel free to pm me

cheers tone
            Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
              it depends on what you want it for so purely from a mechanical point of view & disregarding the cost .....

If you want an engine to tune the crap out of at the risk of making it unreliable or finicky for road use or to use purely on the strip buy the es engine

If you want similar power from a stock engine or mildly tune it & keep it reliable for the road buy the gsxr11 & sort the gearbox

if you want a reasonably quick but less torquey engine to put some miles on buy the gsxr750

If you have any questions on fitting the R engines to your frame & the pitfalls feel free to pm me

cheers tone

You know to hit me up as well in regards to the oil cooled motor info.

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post

cheers tone
                Where do you come up with this crap?!!! The GS engine is WAAAYYYY more reliable than the GSXR & a LOT less high strung when modified! I build 1400 cc GS motors that are DAILY DRIVERS & have absolutely NO leaks, glitches, or issues with drivability whatsoever! There is NO way you made the above statement from EXPERIENCE because it simply is not true. Either that or you don't know how to build GS motors. I've been building them for over 30 years now & know for a FACT the GS engines are the strongest, most reliable, most durable, & highest torque producing you can build for a sreet bike! PERIOD! Ray.
                85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Suzukiray, you did not disappoint me. I knew your would say the GS. When I first started riding, it was either the Gpz or the GS bikes you buy because they were the dependable motors and hard to blow up.

Tone and Waltari thanks for your offer's and if I go that path I will pick your brains.

Waltari, you did surprise me with your vote.

Well, I will get to see all the motors on Wednesday. They are all owned by the same guy-well, the GS is his father's. I still don't know how much for the GS motor as of yet.

Decisions, decisions......

Comment

Is the rest of the ES there or only the motor? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                      Is the rest of the ES there or only the motor? Ray.
                      It is the motor, harness and CDI box. It was last running three weeks ago. He pulled the engine and sold the chassis. I think the engine is stock.

Anyways, would you know the rough value of the engine assuming it is stock? I am thinking about 600-700 if the compression is good overall but I am not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                        Where do you come up with this crap?!!! The GS engine is WAAAYYYY more reliable than the GSXR & a LOT less high strung when modified! I build 1400 cc GS motors that are DAILY DRIVERS & have absolutely NO leaks, glitches, or issues with drivability whatsoever! There is NO way you made the above statement from EXPERIENCE because it simply is not true. Either that or you don't know how to build GS motors. I've been building them for over 30 years now & know for a FACT the GS engines are the strongest, most reliable, most durable, & highest torque producing you can build for a sreet bike! PERIOD! Ray.
                        Hey ray this is the 4th or 5th time ive seen you rubbish someones opinion for no apparent reason, why is that ???

I dont doubt you are a knowlagable engine tuner but you seem to suffer from the common fault of many experianced engine builders eg you THINK know best & everyone else knows nothing, i'm here to point out that your assumption is incorrect & there are many respected tuners in ths country, some of who are friends of mine who totally disagree with your stated opinions (yes ive asked)
                        My own experiance gained over 30+ years has proven to me that big bore gs engines on the street are nothing but hassle, heat being the main problem & as you should know exessive heat kills engines in short order

Having said all that a lot depends on what you call a daily driver, a 1400 block may be ok on the open road when speeds are high enough to provide some effective cooling or for short trips (1/4 mile) but try riding it around town for an hour, in my opinion a daily driver as you so quaintly call it should handle that with NO ill effects, it should also be good for 50k+ with only basic servicing just as a stock engine is & also be able to sustain very high speeds for hours at a time, your engines will NOT do all of this if they highy tuned.

A stock gsxr11 will produce anywhere from 125 to 145rwbhp depending on model & there's plenty of room to tune for a lot more without compromising reliability or rideability

One of my bikes has done over 7000 miles in a little over 4 months, often at sustained speeds of between 90mph & 160mph followed by hours in city's at sub 30mph In my experiance & that of more skilled engine builders than myselt a big bore gs simply wont do that without hassle

All the best tone

Comment

Sorry Tone but I am speaking from EXPERIENCE. I had an 82 GS1100E in HAWAII that was a daily driver with only about half the riding freeway! Most of it was stop & go in traffic & I never turned it off. I DID have a big GSXR oil cooler on it, a top end oiler, & 750 pump gears with the timing at 32 degrees. I never said you didn't have to do things to make them work but they WILL live on the street & be reliable! Mine made 160 HP at the rear wheel, OVER 100 pounds of torque, & ran in the 9s at the dragstrip! I commuted with it, raced it, cruised it, & beat it senseless whenever I desired with not even one issue, for TWO YEARS! A GSXR motor the same size will not even come close to doing the same. I build all types & the only thing that comes close to GS performance AND reliability are Busa motors. I know you Englanders think the GSXR motors are the hot ticket, but when it comes to BIG street motors, they AREN'T! Plain & simple. If I offended you, oh well, get over it, I speak from experience....not what other people tell me. Ray.

Comment

Ray you are entitled to an opinion on here but but so am i along with every other member of this board

I expressed my opinion which comes from experiance & you disagree, well thats fine i have no problem with that, what i do have a problem with is the way you express it

Once again from my own & others experiance a big bore gs producing GOOD power is no good on the street as a day to day bike, the meaning of day to day bike is one thats ridden EVERY day in all conditions with basic maintainance & covering hundreds of miles weekly without throwing a hissy fit

As i said originally it the fella wants an engine to tune the crap out of he should buy the gs, expect to spend a bunch of cash & put up with its little problems but if he wants a fast, light reasonably powerfull engine thats quick enough bone stock & will run for ever on basic maintanance he should buy the gsxr11

Tone

Comment

All the GSs I build only require oil & filter changes, valve adjustments, & carb syncs. What is "hissy fit" about that? Again, I go back to experience. You are commenting your "opinion" on an engine build that YOU have ZERO experience with. I build good GSXR motors too but they just have no TORQUE when compared to a GS motor. Opinions are ok but EXPERIENCE over rules in almost every case, don't you think? I will gladly ride across this country on a 1400cc GS with anyone that will do the same on a 1400cc, oil cooled GSXR & see which has less problems. I will go ride in city traffic all day long in the same scenario. I have no doubt the GS will do it without problem. I will also race you light to light all along the way for a hundred bucks a light & you will need to bring a fair amount of money. The GSXR, with it's plain bearing design just is not up to the same level of durability as the roller bearing GS. I also use STOCK rods in all my GS builds but would not even THINK about it with a GSXR motor bigger than a 1216! There just is no comparison to the durability strengths the GS has over the GSXR. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X