X
X

"fine tuning" your paintjob

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good information. Always helps to know this stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it especially now that I am in the middle of painting the new (well it IS a '91) Kat.

Comment

great info. Getting a new fairing and getting ready to paint it. Gunna put this post to good use.
        Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Comment

Great Post .....
          It's a Sticky must ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

very very nice writeup. however i cannot benefit to much of this because i just painted my bike matte/flat black haha. but awesome work !!!!!
            1992 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

This is a nice post as i read it entirely as i also am a painter i would like to add one point i think is important here .as i need the posts so i can get into some other forums here.

I saw no mention of water when sanding and polishing and as a painter i know this is important as it will flush your sandpaper as well as wash away particals that may scratch cut nick etc.not to mention makes your paper last longer.

so a garden hose with a trickle of constant water rinsing the areas you are sanding may be helpfull, a big wet towel also works. {note if useing a garden hose cut off the metal end of hose or tape it up with electrical tape before getting it near your paint work.

hope this helps someone 22 more posts to go lol

Comment

Originally posted by wepainters View Post
                I saw no mention of water when sanding and polishing and as a painter i know this is important as it will flush your sandpaper as well as wash away particals that may scratch cut nick etc.not to mention makes your paper last longer.
                yes...all sanding was done wet. I always have a pail with water and a wee bit of dish soap added to it to help. when my paper starts to get clogged, I just swish it around in the pail. when I rinse, with a hose, I use a nozzle to give it some pressure...but like you said, need to be careful around the paint with that.

There are other methods for sure. I am just sharing mine for those who are not sure where to start.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Great write up Mojoe

I have had all my panels painted all I have to do now is what you have just posted. Do you still have to wet sand or can you just go straight for the buffer and polish till smooth with buffing compound?

Tok

Comment

thanks, Toc

you don't have to wet sand if you are happy with your paint job. it all comes down to how fussy you are. or you can do just "spots" or sections if you feel that is all that is needed, then compound/buff the whole thing after.

the wet sanding is mostly to get rid of any orange peel or defects.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                      thanks, Toc

you don't have to wet sand if you are happy with your paint job. it all comes down to how fussy you are. or you can do just "spots" or sections if you feel that is all that is needed, then compound/buff the whole thing after.

the wet sanding is mostly to get rid of any orange peel or defects.

i am also waiting for the response to what he said above: will polish alone cure the orange peel? like meguiars? or do you have to wet sand AND polish? the very first post in this thread said "more often than not it just need a good polish"

so...?

EDIT: i may have found the answer. in a different post,. Mojoe said:

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.
                      Last edited by edromero; 12-08-2009, 02:33 PM. Reason: may have found answer
                      previous rides
                      06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
                      next ride - another kat

Comment

Originally posted by edromero View Post
                        i am also waiting for the response to what he said above: will polish alone cure the orange peel? like meguiars? or do you have to wet sand AND polish? the very first post in this thread said "more often than not it just need a good polish"

so...?

EDIT: i may have found the answer. in a different post,. Mojoe said:

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81540&page=3
                        yes, you can often get away with just polishings. I never tried meguiers polish. I find it to be too expensive. not that I am cheap, but I just don't see the sense in paying $25 for polish when I can buy a bottle of mopar polish for like $8.00, and it works just as well.

you only need to wet sand if you have heavy orange peal or blemishes. you can just polish, if you chose, but I find wet sanding by hand to be more "localized". you know....you can sand a 1 in sq section by hand, but a buffer/polisher with do a much larger area.....and I prefer to remove as little clear as possible.

Comment

this is a great fix .... i am going to try and paint my bike this upcoming week so hopefully i dont great the peel if so i k how to fix it now !

Comment

Hello,

I have stumbled across your thread regarding the repair of orange peel effect through google, so I registered.

I would like to ask one question. I have painted my seat cowl with about 4 coats of primer and 6 coats of base color, I did not apply clear yet. But I already have the orange peel effect. Should I sand it/buff it before I apply clear coat?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thanks Mojoe, great post. I will be painting soon. One thing I always wondered is how long do you have to wait before applying regular wax after your paint/polishing job is complete. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                                well, you really should NOT be getting orange peel in your base color. If you do, then you are putting it on WAY too heavy.

Orange peel is usually caused from laying on heavy coats of clear and it not flowing out smoothly.
                                Originally posted by RUS777 View Post
                                Hello,

I have stumbled across your thread regarding the repair of orange peel effect through google, so I registered.

I would like to ask one question. I have painted my seat cowl with about 4 coats of primer and 6 coats of base color, I did not apply clear yet. But I already have the orange peel effect. Should I sand it/buff it before I apply clear coat?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
                                RUS777 I think Mojoe has already answeard your question.

Tok

Comment

Working...
                                X