X

Air fuel screws-again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air fuel screws-again

I have a 1996 600 kat and i wanted to know if the air fuel mixture screws are all supposed to be in the same position- meaning the actual notch where the screwdriver goes, it seems that 3 line up and the fourth(number 2 i think) is off by a little bit, does this matter? thanks

not even a little, as long as they are the same amount of tuns out.

Comment

The notch position doesn't matter. it's actually the number of turns that it is unscrewed from the stop positon(all the way in till stop) that matter. For example my kat 750 97' is recommended by suzuki to be 1 5/8 turn out from stop. For you're bike im not sure, do a little search with the search engine I saw this info many time.

Comment

Originally posted by hugoBOSS View Post
        The notch position doesn't matter. it's actually the number of turns that it is unscrewed from the stop positon(all the way in till stop) that matter. For example my kat 750 97' is recommended by suzuki to be 1 5/8 turn out from stop. For you're bike im not sure, do a little search with the search engine I saw this info many time.
        its 2.5 turns out i just wasnt sure about the position- thanks

Comment

For example my kat 750 97' is recommended by suzuki to be 1 5/8 turn out from stop.
          yeah, that's not right bro. If your gonna go to all the trouble to remove the EPA caps, why would you put them were Suzuki recommends, which is WAY lean. It's 2.5 turns out bro.

Comment

Thank for the tip, but actually since my bike run fairly well and this is just the mixture adjustement for the pilot circuit, I dont really care about my 0 to 1/4 throttle postion performance. Anyway, gotta clean those s*ckers by the end of winter, one pilot circuit seem clogged and only sucking gas so I'll check the pilot screw at the same time. Isn't 2.5 turn the setting for jetted carb to compensate the lack of fuel at 0-1/4 throttle and when decelerating to prevent back-fire?
            Last edited by hugoBOSS; 02-17-2009, 03:40 PM.

Comment

2.5 for stock, 2.75 to eliminate decel popping with an aftermarket slipon
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thank for the tip, but actually since my bike run fairly well and this is just the mixture adjustement for the pilot circuit, I dont really care about my 0 to 1/4 throttle postion performance. Anyway, gotta clean those s*ckers by the end of winter, one pilot circuit seem clogged and only sucking gas so I'll check the pilot screw at the same time. Isn't 2.5 turn the setting for jetted carb to compensate the lack of fuel at 0-1/4 throttle and when decelerating to prevent back-fire?
                The pilot circuit affects all rpm and throttle positions.

It may be a small amount but none the less it does change things.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  2.5 for stock, 2.75 to eliminate decel popping with an aftermarket slipon
                  Or any mod. increasing the airflow and/or velocity.
                  I actually don't know were you take those spec of 2.5 stock since its written thats its supposed to be 1 5/8 for a pre98. Is that where they were when one of you checked them after removing the epa plugs or what? Cuz as I said and as far as what I know of those bst36ss's, the screw is modifying the pilot circuit mixture and is only active during idling and up to 1/4 of throttle. Isn't supposed to improve anything while twisting the throttle. If so, YES!! I will back them during the clean-up

If someone can answer me I would feel less dumb when I go to sleep tonight HaHa

Comment

No, they came from the factory ridiculously lean so that Suzuki could pass emissions tests. Trust us, 2.5 turns out for a stock engine is where they should be set at.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                      The pilot circuit affects all rpm and throttle positions.

It may be a small amount but none the less it does change things.

Tmod
                      Well if y'are sure of that, i'll back those lil meany as spring begin. I know that shortening the cv spring is effective too, removing any lil flat spot and extend the powerband at the same time. That's what I did on many of my ATV's and motocross with CV carbs and it worked awesome.

Thank y'all!!
                      Last edited by hugoBOSS; 02-17-2009, 04:11 PM.

Comment

at 2.5 turns out will it still pass emissions?

Comment

I can't comment on that, my state doesn't test motorcycles for emissions.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            I can't comment on that, my state doesn't test motorcycles for emissions.
                            what is the difference from the stock turns out to 2.5 is it only at idle that it makes a difference or throughout the entire powerband?--- cause if its mostly or only at idle it wont change emissions during the test seeing as they get their readings while your bike is on their dyno running at about 30 or so mph i think, also its at normal operating temps and i only now this because ive seen them do it with other peoples bikes.

Comment

2.5 turns

Comment

Working...
                              X