X

Big Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Problem

Okay guys please don't flame, cuz I am having troubles with this, and I used the Carbs 101 post, as well as my bike's shop manual.... So here's the deal. I have an all stock 1990 600cc Katana. When I bought the bike it didn't come with carbs, and the set of carbs I bought were all in pieces, so I've never had it all together yet. Anyways, I got the carbs together again (after using Carbs 101 to know how to clean), and used my shop manual (to make sure I had all the parts and that they were installed correctly). I took arsenics advice on having the air/fuel pin turned out only 2.5 turns, so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Having said this... the engine simply does not start. The engine cranks and cranks but will not start. I've used the choke, as well as put new plugs in (gapped properly) and because this is a completly stock bike, I don't assume I have a match up problem (jet kit). I've tried for the past couple days to get it to start and I can't seem to make any head way. I could really use some help. Thanks!
    -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

did you try using starting fluid?

Comment

is there fuel getting to the carbs?

loosen one of the drain plugs on the bowls, and see if there is fuel in the bowls

is it getting spark?

Comment

You guy's are scarin' me with this starter fluid stuff. In the wrong hands it can be damaging.

Comment

yeah, the bowls are filled with gas, and I took the sparkplugs out and checked to see that they did have a spark...
          -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

Any hint of a backfire?

Comment

I cooked a few mice with brake cleaner or starting fluid one of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                I cooked a few mice with brake cleaner or starting fluid one of the two.

We have to take the stuff off the guy's at work because they will spray 1/2 the can into the air filters on our diesels and laugh at the knocking noise and lock up's it causes.

Back to the problem at hand. Was there any motor work done that you know of???

Comment

yeah, there were some "hollow" sounding puts, not frequent, but some... As for backfires there were a number of them after cranking for a while... and as far as know, there wasn't any engine work done to it...
                  -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

You confirmed spark.... and gas.... try a quick shot of starting fluid into the air box. If it kicks go directly to your floats. You had the carbs apart and put these back together. I don't know how many parts were missing that you had to replace. If no kick, take a look at the timing of the motor. I can't stress this enough, one shot into the air box and no more. wait about 5 seconds then try to start the bike. Do not spray alot because you can lock the motor and bend a connecting rod.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                      You confirmed spark.... and gas.... try a quick shot of starting fluid into the air box. If it kicks go directly to your floats. You had the carbs apart and put these back together. I don't know how many parts were missing that you had to replace. If no kick, take a look at the timing of the motor. I can't stress this enough, one shot into the air box and no more. wait about 5 seconds then try to start the bike. Do not spray alot because you can lock the motor and bend a connecting rod.

Going off topic for a sec. Whats the deal with starter fluid? I use it once in a while to get small motors running, lawn mowers, old dirtbike and moped motors. I've never had a problem with the stuff. What are the issues I could be causing to the engine?

Back on topic. Did you check to make sure the spark plug wires are going to the correct spark plugs? Does it smell like gas after you've cranked it for a bit?

Comment

Yeah, the spark plugs are attached in the correct order... as for the gas smell, occasionally there is (after I use choke) so I crank with full throttle (since I assume the engine is flooded)
                        -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

Don't twist the throttle while trying to start it as this doesn't have the same effect as on a car that is flooded. Are you sure all the parts were there when you put the carbs back together?

Comment

as sure as the diagrams showed. is there a way you recommend getting the gas out of a flooded cylinder if not holding the throttle?
                            -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

lighter works...lol...also i have heard of guys sealing up the airbox for the winter is it sealed and how long does it take to flood?? could it be getting to much gas?? also i dont think it would back fire but what about your kick stand switch i had one that when you were in neutral it wouldnt let it start cuz it thought the side stand was down...and what about compression could you have a burned up engine?? or even the cam chain jumping??

Comment

Working...
                              X