X

Gas Stabilizer...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Stabilizer...

when i used it before...i asked the dealer about the recommended amounts, and b/4 i put it in, i filled up the tank completely with good, high octane gas, like 93 or 94, dumped in the stabil, then rode it home, and put it away. I just buy a new bottle every year..dont like takin chances with it..but thats just me. overly cautious i guess..

but I've heard others say that its better to dump it in, when the tank is nearly empty, then fill up with gas, and ride it home.

is it that much better to put it in after the tank is full, as opposed to being nearly empty ?

My take on it would be that it would mix faster to an even solution if you put in the Stabil before you fill up the gas (by the agitation created by the gas flowing down into it).

Just my 2 cents...
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

I always put it in then fill up the tank, then drive home, makes sure it is well mixed
      Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

makes sense ...but just never did it when the tank was empty..guess it just never occured to me...

Comment

either way should be fine. Its got to go into the carbs.
          Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Haggisman
            I always put it in then fill up the tank, then drive home, makes sure it is well mixed
            agreed
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
              My take on it would be that it would mix faster to an even solution if you put in the Stabil before you fill up the gas (by the agitation created by the gas flowing down into it).

Just my 2 cents...
              I agree with this. I did that with Stabil in my bike and whenever I use fuel injector cleaner in the cage.

Comment

Originally posted by blkpitbull
                I'm for putting it in just before you top off, so it distributes more evenly. Personally, I also believe in topping off the tank after you get it into it's spot from a gas can, so the tank is absolutely chock full (takes about 5 minutes on a late model Kat because of the burping action) -- less air = less rust.

As for the blkpitbull's comment -- IMHO the carbs should be run dry and carb drains left open in most places where it snows (if it gets cold enough where you park to condense water, leave the drains open so water doesn't build up). The only exceptions should be in really dry areas (deserts), and if the bike will be run during storage occassionally.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  I'm for putting it in just before you top off, so it distributes more evenly. Personally, I also believe in topping off the tank after you get it into it's spot from a gas can, so the tank is absolutely chock full (takes about 5 minutes on a late model Kat because of the burping action) -- less air = less rust.

As for the blkpitbull's comment -- IMHO the carbs should be run dry and carb drains left open in most places where it snows (if it gets cold enough where you park to condense water, leave the drains open so water doesn't build up). The only exceptions should be in really dry areas (deserts), and if the bike will be run during storage occassionally.

In all due respect, I never drain my carbs, or run them dry. I just put stabil in and ride the bike for a few miles. I have never had a problem after winter was over. But I do ride my bike some during the winter. And when I cant I start it once a week and let it run for a bout 5-7 minutes. But this may not work for everyone.
                  Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

...And when I cant I start it once a week and let it run for a bout 5-7 minutes.
                    I used to do that with various sports cars when I stored them for winter until a Porsche club tech told me it was a bad thing. There's several reasons:
                    You get a lot of condensation built up in the muffler and running the engine for 5-10 minutes (especially at idle) doesn't get it hot enough to evaporate the water - the exhaust will rust from the inside out.
                    If the engine doesn't get hot enough then you are accumulating condensation inside it too. That's very bad.
                    Wear happens when starting an engine. If it has been sitting for a while then the oil film protecting parts (until fresh oil can flow to them) has had a chance to dissipate. Oil in the passages has drained back to the pan. It's called a 'dry' start I believe. The more 'dry' starts you do the more wear.

His advice was to prep the thing for storage and leave it alone until spring.
                    If you ride it most likely it will get up to working temp and will be OK.

Comment

What is this stuff you speak of? I have never had too use it. Oh thats right I can ride year round if I want to

Yes you should always put the additive in before you fill up or while you are filling up. You can fill the tank part way then add it or put eh additive in the fill the tank. Putting it in after you fill up takes it longer to mix up all the way..
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
                      X