X

Wash & Wax

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash & Wax

I'm looking for tips on how to wash, wax and detail to get the best shine. Place your tips, techniques and products used here:
    "from zero, one arises" - me

Motorcyclist magazine January issue had a whole how-to on this . If you can find someone with a subscription who'll let you borrow it ...
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Bucket of Water, Car Wash Soap, and a Sponge for washing.

Simple Green for the rims and other metal parts.

Turtle Wax to Wax that SOB.

Lot's of beer to assist in passing of the time.

Hot Chicks in Bikini's also help to pass the time, and you don't get as wet since they do most of the work.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

I like Lou's explanation. The biggest thing that I worry about when washing my bike is not getting water where it is not supposed to go.

Comment

Ok then..........

Wash..........

Wax........

Polished parts bling.........

Mothers Polish-Wax-Cleaners - Mothers knows best when it comes to caring for your treasured ride. Whether you drive a Hot Rod, pickup truck, collectible cruiser, van, sedan, suv or bike...Mothers Polishes - Waxes - Cleaners has exactly the right car ...
          Ron
          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Don't use a pressure washer or other direct, forceful stream of water on it. I use the hose with the nozzle set to "sprinkler."

I guess if you want to clean the engine and junk you could take your tank off and bag all the electronics then go to town.

Any water that gets in the sparkplug shaft should drain right out the front.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

if there are any minor scratches in the paint try a palimor wax.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Since you're in Florida, I'll chime in:

A 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vinegar in your wash bucket (or rinse bucket) will keep hard water spots from forming before you can her dry. It'll also break down any water spots left from the Florida rain... Your choice of washing detergents (I tend to use dish detergent, which strips waxes and thus isn't a good choice if you use normal waxes -- use a car wash instead if you use standard waxes).

Then I use a polyacrylic wax-substitute (there are at least half-dozen on the market, from NuFinish 2000 to Klasse All-in-One, etc). Any polish removes a small amount of paint (oxidized surface paint) and most waxes contain polishes (about the only one I've found that doesn't, at least at my local auto parts stores, is ?Mothers? or ?Meguires? Pure Karnuba wax). The fact that I'm polishing is OK with me, since the poly-acrylic will seal the paint with a very thin layer of UV-protected plastic that will keep a shine and keep the paint from deteriorating. Once dry, it's good to go for another year or so, just regular rinsings or washings (dish detergent won't strip the acrylic layer) and maybe some clear wax or easy-wax solution over it if I want a deeper shine (turtle wax sheets for example).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Mequires makes some great wash and cleaning products. Thats mainly what I use..and their quick detailer is nice for just getting the dust off if you dont have time to fully wash. I havent noticed that it left any scratches or damaged the finish on my kat at all so from my perspective its definately good stuff.

I use a very soft thick sponge to wash and very soft big beach towels to dry... after using a shammie to get the bulk of the water off.

and word to the wise, just because it looks cool, doesnt mean you put armor all on your seat and tires.

Comment

Nice to see another Kat Rider/Steelers fan.
                    This year The Bus gets a ring

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Comment

...paint it flat black

Comment

I have yet to have a pressure washer ruin anything (I said yet). But it does soak everything under my seat, so I'm done with that route. I watched a guy in an apartment wash with a soap bucket then just use another bucket to rinse it off. Bike looked good.

I love Mequires. I have the quick detail stuff and use it when I'm getting ready to head out and want to get rid of the dust.
                          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                          -Terence

Comment

Honda spray polish/wax is a good cleaner . Cuts the dirt and bugs , leaves a good coat of wax , and SMELLS lovely , too . I used to use that stuff all the time on my previous bikes . I don't wash my Katana though . Every time I do , I break a chain .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                              I have yet to have a pressure washer ruin anything (I said yet).
                              The biggest problem with pressure washers is that they drive water into electrical connectors, resulting in corrosion and unexpected electrical system gremlins over the long term. Filling electrical pigtail connectors with dielectric grease helps prevent water-penetration related long-term failures (and is something I do as soon as I get a new or used bike), but it will not keep water under high pressure from pushing into the connectors.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X