X

Speedymoto Omni Bars

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedymoto Omni Bars

I am considering the angled Speedymoto Omni bars for my 89 750 Kat. However, I know that the OEM bars are notched to sas to let the clamp screw pass. I assume I will have to notch the Omni bars, as well. Has anyone here had experience with the Omni Bars?

Originally posted by TripleKing View Post
    I am considering the angled Speedymoto Omni bars for my 89 750 Kat. However, I know that the OEM bars are notched to sas to let the clamp screw pass. I assume I will have to notch the Omni bars, as well. Has anyone here had experience with the Omni Bars?
    No experiance wiht the Omni bar, but notching the bars would be very easy. I've repurposed 600 to 750 and vs versa before pretty easily.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Clip-ons

I dug out an old set of cheap 7/8 inch drag bars. They have a bit of a bend, which would raise the grip level, a bit, but should be low enough to be used with current control cables and front brake hose. Figured I could notch on bench grind, with angle grider and finish with Dremel. THen have to figure out bar-end weights. I guess I could weld in a nut.
      Last edited by TripleKing; 08-06-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

I dug out an old set of cheap 7/8 inch drag bars. They have a bit of a bend, which would raise the grip level, a bit, but should be low enough to be used with current control cables and front brake hose. Figured I could notch on bench grind, with angle grider and finish with Dremel. THen have to figure out bar-end weights. I guess I could weld in a nut.
        There are a significant selection of generic expansion nut options for bar end weights and / or vibration reduction inserts available on the market. Just another option...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I made the bars. I will post pics when it is all done.

Comment

OK, new bars are on. All works well except for my choke cable. Either binding a bit or slipped out of slider on carbs. Choke works fine, manually. I will fix, this weekend.

Meanwhile, I spent 3 hours on her today. No pain in my neck or wrists. Steering response is phenomenal.

http://www.smilesanhour.com/#!/2017/...transform.html

Comment

Good read
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Awesome.

I'll just mention though I saw this...

The Katana which was slow to transition in twisties and difficult to navigate in tight places, is now very nimble.
                That's a clear sign the suspension needs some love. New rear shock, new springs and emulators on the front makes an incredible difference. Since it's now going to be a keeper, it's worth the investment.

The most common issues are the old shock dries up, and sags badly (not rebuildable) and over all the spring rates are generally too low. Better valving on the front also helps a lot for the wrists ( so much less shock to them when hitting those road lines and bumps).

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Awesome.

I'll just mention though I saw this...

That's a clear sign the suspension needs some love. New rear shock, new springs and emulators on the front makes an incredible difference. Since it's now going to be a keeper, it's worth the investment.

The most common issues are the old shock dries up, and sags badly (not rebuildable) and over all the spring rates are generally too low. Better valving on the front also helps a lot for the wrists ( so much less shock to them when hitting those road lines and bumps).

Krey
                  I agree. Although, I was speaking in relative terms. It wasn't that bad. I was comparing it more to upright nakeds with standard bars, at least in my mind. Still, a suspension refresh is clearly in order. That and new fairings. That is my winter project.

I as thinking emulators. Hagon makes a rear shock for the Kat. I have Hagons on the rear of my CB400T and like them.

Comment

I agree. Although, I was speaking in relative terms. It wasn't that bad. I was comparing it more to upright nakeds with standard bars, at least in my mind. Still, a suspension refresh is clearly in order. That and new fairings. That is my winter project.

I as thinking emulators. Hagon makes a rear shock for the Kat. I have Hagons on the rear of my CB400T and like them.
                    Can also rebuild a couple of options to fit your needs...
                    a 98-06 kat 750 shock to use for stock height.
                    B-12 shock used to raise the tail height.
                    08+ R6 shock can be used to lower the tail a tad.

Depending on what your wanting.

Personally I used a B12 shock that was rebuilt and shimmed to slightly reduce the travel length. That put me at a 1.75" raise of the tail with a really good performance shock.

Those changes made for a highly responsive and great clearance in the curves. I can get over easier, not come close to dragging any parts or pegs, and over all it's much more responsive. I have no problems steering with out any input to the bars at all. (I mean, literally I can steer the bike with no hands on the bars by just body position).

If you don't do shock rebuilds yourself, norwestsuspension.com is Tmod's website. He's really good and very fairly priced.

Just options...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Can also rebuild a couple of options to fit your needs...
                      a 98-06 kat 750 shock to use for stock height.
                      B-12 shock used to raise the tail height.
                      08+ R6 shock can be used to lower the tail a tad.

Depending on what your wanting.

Personally I used a B12 shock that was rebuilt and shimmed to slightly reduce the travel length. That put me at a 1.75" raise of the tail with a really good performance shock.

Those changes made for a highly responsive and great clearance in the curves. I can get over easier, not come close to dragging any parts or pegs, and over all it's much more responsive. I have no problems steering with out any input to the bars at all. (I mean, literally I can steer the bike with no hands on the bars by just body position).

If you don't do shock rebuilds yourself, norwestsuspension.com is Tmod's website. He's really good and very fairly priced.

Just options...

Krey
                      Thanks for the options

I like the stock height of the Kat, but with a 32 inch inseam, I could tolerate a bit higher, for some performance gain.

I have rebuilt forks before and have removed springs from struts in the past so I imagine I could handle rebuilding a shock, provided it was truly rebuildable.

Now I am wondering of there is a worthwhile swing arm mod that can be done.

Comment

Thanks for the options

I like the stock height of the Kat, but with a 32 inch inseam, I could tolerate a bit higher, for some performance gain.

I have rebuilt forks before and have removed springs from struts in the past so I imagine I could handle rebuilding a shock, provided it was truly rebuildable.

Now I am wondering of there is a worthwhile swing arm mod that can be done.
                        In what way would you want the swingarm modded?

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Basically, I would like one a bit wider to fit a wider wheel and tire. Not stupid wide, but just something which gives me a wider choice of rubber.

Comment

Basically, I would like one a bit wider to fit a wider wheel and tire. Not stupid wide, but just something which gives me a wider choice of rubber.
                            What I did for mine... running a 5.5" wheel with 180/55 tire now. I've learned though that it's simpler to just mod the swingarm fully and use OEM parts for everything else from various bikes.

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

That is very cool. I was wondering if a bolt-in of a GSXR swing arm was possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X