• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 GSX600F, NO CRANK??? push button start does nothing

Just replaced ignition with a new aftermarket one
    Also replaced signal generator and pick up coil
    new battery

Everything else works - but it doesn't crank... or do anything when i push the button
    not even a relay

did u check the clutch switch and the side stand switch, is it in neutral? Ans what about the engine stop switch?? then the main fuse...
    2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

Yes the side fuse, at the starter 30amp

and under the seat, the fuses looked good, and I only did a test light on the fuses. Only on of the headlight fuses went off. the others didn't do anything with key on or off

I dont kno what else

I dont have a manual, so I dont know what everything is, or where everything is at.

I connect pos/neg with screwdriver at the starter and it does crank that way.

Comment

You can check the clutch switch and sidestand switch by tracing the wires back to their connections and bypassing the switch. In other words, unplug the switch and the two connectors that run back into the harness, you plug those together(for each switch). Just do one at a time to rule out the problem. Simple check and you can still ride while waiting for parts. The connectors for the clutch switch are under the tank and the sidestand connectors are under the airbox (or close by)
        But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Mat 10:33

Comment

step one, GET THEE A SERVICE MANUAL. preferably a factory, or clymer. you can download a haynes from here but it's no where near as complete. it should still get you thru troubleshooting tho.
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I think its a bad switch.

Comment

its possible. Start checking wires for voltage with the key on. you should have power at the starer switch and after with it pressed. There's a relay for the sidestand at the battery. If you turn the key on and put the bike on stands or have someone hold it upright, you can hear and feel the relay kicking off and on as you move the sidestand from the down pos. to the up pos.

Check the starter switch and clutch switch for power and that they are connected. You can test the starter switch at the starter solenoid and test it while you are there. They are common to go, but for a newer model as yours, you may just have a bad connection somewhere (ie: in a switch or connection)
              But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Mat 10:33

Comment

What exactly- How do i......... make a new push putton switch.

With wire, and a switch. And i can just mount it somewhere else

Comment

all of the components inside both switch housings are simple to clean and put back into service. just take your time dissasembling, and make sure you keep track of ALL the springs, little ball bearings, etc. do it on a bench with good light, a pad (so stuff dont bounce and ricochet away) and some sort of block so stuff dont roll away. could be as simple as a wire come loose or a grubby contact.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

10-4! Usually you can clean up the contacts in the switch and bring it back to life. No sense in "Jimmy-riggin" a switch up somewhere

Comment

Make sure you check the emergency kill switch. Had that happen to me and felt real stupid when I figured it out.

Comment

I checked everything really.. all fuses n everything are good.
                        The bike starts up / starting it straight from the starter....
                        But im having other problems now, as the bike not staying running. Only runs with starter fluid.
                        The floats are not stuck, & even the carbs are kinda clean but its still been sitting a while.. i didnt empty ALL the gas out the tank but most of it and put more new gas in it..

So id what. im hoping Some lucas cleaner will help/ or seafoam..... like it usually does...?

The problem is the fuel flow doesnt keep running, but im sure once i get the fuel to suck, n keep flowing i should be good??
                        Its raining out n havnt been able to really work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackice2242 View Post
                          Yes the side fuse, at the starter 30amp

and under the seat, the fuses looked good, and I only did a test light on the fuses. Only on of the headlight fuses went off. the others didn't do anything with key on or off

I dont kno what else

I dont have a manual, so I dont know what everything is, or where everything is at.

I connect pos/neg with screwdriver at the starter and it does crank that way.

here is the manual

Originally posted by blackice2242 View Post
                          I checked everything really.. all fuses n everything are good.
                          The bike starts up / starting it straight from the starter....
                          But im having other problems now, as the bike not staying running. Only runs with starter fluid.
                          The floats are not stuck, & even the carbs are kinda clean but its still been sitting a while.. i didnt empty ALL the gas out the tank but most of it and put more new gas in it..

So id what. im hoping Some lucas cleaner will help/ or seafoam..... like it usually does...?

The problem is the fuel flow doesnt keep running, but im sure once i get the fuel to suck, n keep flowing i should be good??
                          Its raining out n havnt been able to really work on it.
                          check petcock hose conections betting mixed up or not all connected
                          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

bad/missing/disconnected vacuum hose from the petcock to carb #4. set the petcock to prime for 30 seconds, then return it to ON before you try to start it next time to make sure the float bowls are filled.

Comment

I would say since everything else coming on and workin when you turn the key on....has to be something between the start button and starter (make sure and check that your in netral and clutch in). starting with the start button since it seems to be the most likely cuase of the prob, then work through the wiring, then possibly the starter motor

Comment

Working...
                              X