X

GSXR 750 cams in a 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR 750 cams in a 750

Has anyone put GSXR 750 cams in their 750 Kat. I know they will work I'm just wondering if you can expect the same type gains as putting them in a 600?

look at the lift durations, you tell me if they are better
    A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

BTW a 10th of a mm DOES make a difference.

Comment

I asked Ivan about this before purchasing his kit and he said (basically) that one needs to decide whether they want low/mid power or high-end power. I opted for the low/mid power since I'm driving on the street, not the track (where high-end-of-the-RPM-band power would be more desirable).

Basically Gixxer cams would "fight" the benefits of the Ivan's kit and other typical Kat mods that yield better performance in the low/mid range.

If you want, you could always swap a GSXR engine into the Katana. . .

Comment

Originally posted by KatScratchFever View Post
        I asked Ivan about this before purchasing his kit and he said (basically) that one needs to decide whether they want low/mid power or high-end power. I opted for the low/mid power since I'm driving on the street, not the track (where high-end-of-the-RPM-band power would be more desirable).

Basically Gixxer cams would "fight" the benefits of the Ivan's kit and other typical Kat mods that yield better performance in the low/mid range.

With the exception of the cams...... you already have a gsxr engine in your katana. The pre 750's are just that. And supposedly (from some old gsxr guys) the 98+ 750 motors are like an even better version of the 1990 GSXR750 engine, which was arguably the best oil cooled 750 motor. Fix up the valve train, and you've got a seriously badazz motor.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by KatScratchFever View Post

Ivan's kit with GSXR cams is kinda crap, you need a Factory Pro kit for gixxer cams to work right.

Comment

I've got pods & a DJ stage 3. Did that before I found this site. Needless to say I'm pretty much top end. I have seen that the pre 750 made more power than the 98+ is that right? I think I would go for the 89 exhaust cam. A 771 kit would be sweet anyone have one of those?

Comment

no, but the pods and DunoJunk stage 3 would work a whole lot better with GSXR cams

Comment

Good info. here as always, thanks for that.

I'm gonna' give the Ivan's a whirl for a bit and see how I like it. I imagine it'll be quite nice for street driving (might re-do the sprocket too in order to give a little more "oomph" down low, but we'll see).

Eventually if I want to wind it out I think I'll look into one of those factory pro kits.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmatthew46 View Post
                  I've got pods & a DJ stage 3. Did that before I found this site. Needless to say I'm pretty much top end. I have seen that the pre 750 made more power than the 98+ is that right? I think I would go for the 89 exhaust cam. A 771 kit would be sweet anyone have one of those?
                  As far as my knowledge, I believe the pre 750's made more power than the 98+ when stock, or lightly tuned. The 98+ 750's have potential to make much more power. Just look at the 88-89 gsxr750's..... they were fine on the street, but they just didn't cut it in race form. But in 1990, when they went back to the long stroke, and different heads, the race form was far better. (The 1990 GSXR750 is very close in design to the 98+ Katana 750 motor)

Somebody here is running a 771 setup, but I don't remember who.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Would it be worth it for me to ditch the Dyno jet & get the Factory Pro? I think I'll do the cams in the near future.

Comment

not if your running pod filters. There is no Factory Pro for pods. There might be for pre 98's you'd need a stage 7 kit, check it out. I know there isn't for 98+. If you'd FILL OUT YOUR GARAGE I wouldn't have to ask this AGAIN what year? If it's a pre this kit works. CRB-S12-3.0
                      Last edited by arsenic; 06-18-2008, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                        But in 1990, when they went back to the long stroke, and different heads, the race form was far better. (The 1990 GSXR750 is very close in design to the 98+ Katana 750 motor)
                        Problem with this logic is the 98+ motor is the short stroke motor.

As far as jet kits are concerned, Ivan's is a low and mid kit. Personally the 750 makes plenty of low end power so having a jet kit that improves low and sacrifices high is a waste. The Factory Pro kit gives great throttle response low end and increases top end. The DJ kit just floods the motor with fuel and is good for bench racing but fails in the real world.
                        Now everyone, Flame On.

Comment

STROKE:
                          pre 98 750
                          44.72mm
                          98+ 750
                          48.7mm
                          now would you care to explain how that is a short stroke motor
                          just because I have nothing better too do.
                          STROKE
                          GSXR 750 85-87 and 90 on
                          48.7mm
                          GSXR 750 88-89
                          44.72mm
                          so by all means go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, but your logic is NOT gonna beat the manual.
                          Last edited by arsenic; 06-18-2008, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            STROKE:
                            pre 98 750
                            44.72mm
                            98+ 750
                            48.7mm
                            now would you care to explain how that is a short stroke motor
                            just because I have nothing better too do.
                            STROKE
                            GSXR 750 85-87 and 90 on
                            48.7mm
                            GSXR 750 88-89
                            44.7mm
                            so by all means go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, but your logic is NOT gonna beat the manual.
                            Nor the knowledge of the many who have disassembled said engines. I have one apart in the basement right now!

Comment

man i really wanna get and instal this 89 gsxr 750 cam in my 750 and see what happens.... im guessin i will have to do a serious jet kit... but i think it will bring the kat to life....
                              THE EMAIL BANDIT
                              F4 I stunted out
                              Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                              MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

Working...
                              X