X

Weight Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Issue

i noticed the katana's are like 600 lbs, where is all this weight coming from???? what is making it 150-200 lbs heavier than your normal rocket??? just curious thanks in advance guys.

kats are only 490 pounds give or take a few my f4i was 426 most new r modles are 385 or less

Comment

Everytime I read something about the Kat's weight, it seems to get heavier. I bet by the end of the year people will think the Kat dry weight is over 800 lbs. FYI, a 98+ Katana's dry weight is 458 lbs for the 600cc and 465lbs for the 750cc.

If you drop the centrestand (which all SS bikes lack) you'll decrease the weight by 12 lbs. At 446 lbs for the 600cc and 453lbs for the 750cc, the Katana is not really that bad.
      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Re: Weight Issue

Originally posted by icyhandlz
        i noticed the katana's are like 600 lbs, where is all this weight coming from???? what is making it 150-200 lbs heavier than your normal rocket??? just curious thanks in advance guys.
        Size of the bike, and the material used. The Katana is bigger than your typical 600cc bikes. Although I haven't seen other bikes engines up-close, I think the Kat engine is huge.
        The material used in constructing the frame, wheels, and engine is very important. Steal, aluminum, alloy, Magnesium, and Titinium are used in cars and bikes. Each metal type has different weight value.

Comment

Like johnE said, the engine is huge. also our frame are steel where alot of the other sportbikes have moved to lightweight alluminum or magnesium alloys.
          I love my Kat!!
          2000 burgandy 750

Comment

400 and change is all that it weighs? Oh man I cant wait to tell my co-worker how much of a wimp he is for exaggerating the weight when he had to pick it up off the ground after trying to be Evil Knievel

Comment

The manual says my '02 600 weighs 458 lbs. (dry). I've removed the center stand, luggage tie downs, and put on an aftermarket exhaust so I'd say my bike is probably closer to 425 lbs. dry. I don't find the bike heavy at all, but sometimes I wish it were a little more nimble feeling. That could very well be all in my head though
              ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

all that weight is the steel that cages the beast inside the engine....
                99 Kat 6: hindle header+ carbon cannon, rear ohlins adjusty, K&N dirt mask, super jetted and flashy dyno'd, fiber-lyte pretty dash, carbon heel kicky guards, super cool solo cowl/second look seat skin combo ANNND the 520 chain conversion, super secrect perfect sprocket combo - some wicked pilot sport cup rubbers,NRC racing engine covers, fender elim kit --- any questions? FOR SALE $$$$$$$

Comment

(A) Frame material (steel) rather than aluminum.
                  (B) Frame design (double over-under with cross-bracing & lower engine cradle).
                  (C) Frame length (substancially longer wheelbase).
                  (D) Fuel tank size & capacity.
                  (E) Full sized fairings out of a thicker plastic. Full instrument surround.
                  (F) Larger alternator (generates positive charge even at idle rather than only above 4k RPM).
                  (G) Engine components out of heavier materials & with heavier designs (valves, valve springs, cams, con-rods, cranks, flywheel, etc).
                  (H) Dual large headlights.
                  (I) Extras that don't appear on the bikes you're comparing it too (more plastic under the seat for storage, more seating surface, separate fuel gauge, separate clock, centerstand).

Wet weight for the 98+ Kats in stock form has been weighed in at 508 - 520 lbs (depending on model, market) from reliable sources, sans any extras under the seat.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

for sure it weighs under 500. my 1100 is a big heavy bike, and weighs in at 525.
                    the DMV screwed up on my registration though. It says it weighs 330 kilos. that is 726lbs for you folks who haven't caught up with the rest of the world that uses the metric system.
                    can you imagine 726lbs????
                    I keep meaning to have that fixed, but screw it. not like it costs me more to plate it or anything cuz it is heavier.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

There was an easy fix around here...

oh i found it simply remove rider from bike and place on "South Beach Diet"

Comment

Oh, something I forgot to mention...

That heavier weight is actually a bonus in the real world during typical commuting and touring riding, because the extra weight increases the sprung to unsprung weight ratios, which helps keep a bike stable over bad pavement, and makes the ride smoother in general.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The key, underlying, repeated word in most of the replies is "steel" ...vs aluminum like most of your super sport bikes.

The kat is a heavy beast, but its made well, very balanced, easy to ride, and like CP mentioned..the extra weight is a nice stability factor for commuting and long rides.

Comment

There was an easy fix around here...

oh i found it simply remove rider from bike and place on "South Beach Diet"

thanks for that bit of info but im 5'9" 140, heheheh i was just curious about what about it made it heavier and thank you WILDKAT for your help, im not saying the weigh is a bad thing just wondering what about the bike was actually heavier cuz it isnt that much bigger than most and thank you all for you knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                            X