X

R6 shock hitting swingarm?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R6 shock hitting swingarm?

Hey everyone. I decided to change my '93 600 katana's stock rear shock as it's worn out badly. After hours of research on this forum I decided r6 shock swap would work out best to me. So I got a 06-07 r6 shock, mouned it without bottom mount bushings just to see how it looks and noticed there is really small amount of clearance between shock reservoir and place where linkage is mounted to the swingarm. Like 1/2 inch with me sitting on bike (I'm 175lbs). I am really concerned if that wouldn't hit first before shock could be topped out naturally, especially when two up riding (not usually but anyways). I know with the bushings there should be an additional mm of clearance but I doubt it would be enough. So, will the shock and swingarm hit each other occasionally or will they pass somehow? Sorry if that was covered up already, I just couldn't find anything about that.

Need pics. The reserviour is at the top.. Unless your talking about the shock body.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yes I talk about reservoir on top, but clearance seems small a bit.. (in pic bike is on side stand without load except bike weight)

Comment

That's about right but, you still need to adjust the sag and rebound for your weight. http://www.google.com/search?q=r6+re...&client=safari
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-14-2017, 02:20 AM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

So I assume if i raise preload (now its on 3rd or 4th position out of 9) it will be totally fine when riding alone. But will it be ok even with pillion? Couse I tried sitting still with my dad who's just a bit over my weight and clearance is like 1/5inch or even less.. I really don't want to hit that reservoir when riding..

Comment

You'll need to adjust for the load being placed on it. More preload for more weight, less preload for less weight to keep the proper sag.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Thanks! I guess I need to worry less and start enjoying my new shock as soon as weather is appropriate in my country

Comment

That's the wrong R6 shock for the suggested swap, the one recommended would be the 08+ models. Clearance was the concerns for the model you have.

Once major point of clearance is the battery box, but that's something many don't have an issue changing.

While I have an 08+ on hand, and have used/installed several of those, I have not had an earlier version to verify clearance issues. What I would strongly suggest you do is temporarily remove the spring from the shock, mount it on the bike with out the spring, and then move the swing arm through the full range of motion to verify it will not hit or have clearance issues for your application.

Please take lots of pictures and note details for future reference.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My 08 sits about the same way... didn't the early models have a different lower mount?
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Hi Krey, I had a chance to compare '06-07 shock vs '08 in person, and the only differences I was able to tell is high/low speed on newer one is on one screw, also it has more top clearance for battery box but that round reservoir is exactly at the same place. I don't mind modifying battery box, so was just thinking if the swingarm clearance on the newer would be better and if it's worth paying extra 30dols . Also is it possible to safely remove spring with basic tools at home?

Pre '06 models have a different uncompatible mount, but +06 have mounts just the same as +08 I believe
                    Last edited by Benazzio; 02-14-2017, 10:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Benazzio View Post
                      Hi Krey, I had a chance to compare '06-07 shock vs '08 in person, and the only differences I was able to tell is high/low speed on newer one is on one screw, also it has more top clearance for battery box but that round reservoir is exactly at the same place. I don't mind modifying battery box, so was just thinking if the swingarm clearance on the newer would be better and if it's worth paying extra 30dols . Also is it possible to safely remove spring with basic tools at home?

Pre '06 models have a different uncompatible mount, but +06 have mounts just the same as +08 I believe
                      You would need a spring compressor to remove it. You can buy the tool fairly cheaply here in the US, so... IDK what's avail to you.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                      X