X

My first build!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first build!

This is my first bike and first build. I bought the bike for 300 bucks couldnt beat it. Decided to make it a fighter due to the tore up plastics. was gona just make it decent but looking at all the other builds on here i decided i couldnt just half *** it. haha so it begins....
    how i received.
    bike.jpg
    did the shovel chop
    IMAG0159.jpg
    sand blasted the tank holy crap! there was some dents with bondo piled a 1/2 inch think so had to fix those hah.
    tank2.jpg
    had to plastic weld some of the broken pieces then i cut them down so make it fightery. im probably going to trim more off the back tail pieces to make them slimmer.
    weld.jpg
    plastics.jpg
    I used the plans from a thread on here to make the guage mount face. it worked out really good i just had to change it just a fuzz. heres the link he deserves the credit http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78349.
    gauges.jpg
    painted the exhaust but defenitly should have sandblasted it first. the high temp paint comes off with the little grains of rust so it was pretty much a waste of time but it looks good right now haha. ill have to redo it after i sandblast it.
    exhaust.jpg
    started the whole tear down to the frame yesterday for a couple hours. then some more today and now the motors ready to drop.ill hopefully get that done tomorow.
    strip down.jpg
    oh yea and ive down the R1 integrated taillight mod. its awesome . ive got a lot more work to do but i just wanted to get this out here and ill keep up with updates! Tips are greatly appreciated!

Make it your's. Keep us posted.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
      Make it your's. Keep us posted.
      Oh i will! haha

Comment

sand blasting the frame and all other little parts and hopefully will get paint done too.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing which direction you take it, and the finished product of course.
          Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

this looks promising. will keep up with it

Comment

lots of pics along the way! taking notes :P
              2001 GSX600F

Comment

glad to see some interest! haha I Got everything sandblasted today finally. its all nice and clean! The first stage of the painting will be next weekend hopefully wich will be all the stuff thats getting painted black. im still deciding on the color for the tank and the plastic but i want it bright and i like green so im thinking about the new camaro green i think it would look really good.

Comment

how long did it take for the whole tear down? and how did u manage with all the wiring? labels?

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi3432 View Post
                    how long did it take for the whole tear down? and how did u manage with all the wiring? labels?
                    hey sorry it didnt tell me that you had asked a question or else i would have gotten back to you way sooner. Um i did it id say three days with only working on it a couple hours after work each day so about 4 to 6 hours and this is the first bike ive ever torn down. As far as wiring i used duct tape and wrapped it around the few wires i thought i might have trouble remembering where they go and labeled them that way but most of them have colored cordinated plugs and wiring so its easy to just match everything up that way. I highly recommend a organization method of some sort to keep track of your bolts and things. i went to the dollar store and bought 2 bags of plastic sandwich bags and used those for everything and labeled each bag with marker. i just started putting it back together today and man im glad i did that. I was a little overwhelmed at first because its my first bike but im feeling really comfortable now. i have some pictures to put on here of the progress soon

Comment

okay so had the frame and other parts painted over the weekend by the girlfriends dad. I did all the prep work (wich turns out to be quite a bit) and he sprayed. it turned out really good. We let it dry over and night and most of the next day. The only problem is and its a small one. we loaded it up in a blanket and i guess it was still a little tacky and now in a few spots has the texture of the blanket. it wont be a big deal to fix and im still really happy with it. On a different note i cleaned the motor with engine degreaser today after work wich worked pretty good and then i sprayed it down with some engine paint to make it look pretty d am n good. pics below
                      IMAG0284.jpg
                      this is the sandblasted frame after i wiped it down with a rust eating agent.
                      IMAG0286.jpg
                      Parts after paint
                      IMAG0292.jpg
                      and this is what i got done tonight, pretty much just got the frame all bolted on and the oil cooler remounted. Cant wait to work on it some more tomorow!!!

Comment

just a peak of the progress. more to come if anybody cares haha..
                        IMAG0299.jpg

Comment

Of course we care. There are few things more enjoyable than standing back and seeing other people work...lol

We always do like to see what others are up to, and your project seems to be coming along... keep it up...

TonyE.
                          "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Haha thanks i guess I was fishing for comments. I'll keep it up!

Comment

Another!

Comment

Working...
                              X