Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Pls Halp!!! Needs specs for 2 up riding!! I'm big, she's bigger!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pls Halp!!! Needs specs for 2 up riding!! I'm big, she's bigger!!

What is the max weight capacity for 2 up riding, what adjustments need to be made? Do I need to get a different center shock? Different front forks? Our combined weight is going to be closer to maybe 500...maybe 510.
    Any information will be helpful as I am very determined to get her on my Kat.

I would recommend getting new fork springs from racetech. Fork springs for the Kats usually max out at 1.0kg/...cm? I forget the exact units anymore, but the stiffest one they have is intended for a rider who is a little over 200 lbs. Just that and changing the fork oil will totally change the way the bike handles when you're on it (solo).
    Which Kat do you have? If it's a post750 or an 1100, the shock is rebuidable. Either racetech or Norwest Suspension (run by a member here, T-Mod, who uses racetech parts) can do it. Rebuild it, and respring it with a better spring, and ask them how to adjust it for the 2up riding. (My guess is dial the preload way up, but I'm not a suspension guru). If you don't have one of those bikes, eBay the post 750 shock, I've seen them for ~$100. ~120 more for the spring, ~120 more for the rebuild.
    Other option, not sure if it's better: source a ...2nd gen? Bandit 1200 shock. Out of the box it might support a heavier spring. Send it to the aforementioned suspension folks and have them internally shim it, get the heaviest spring possible, and off you go.
    Left unshimmed, the rear end is raised 2" and the bike's steering geometry is way different. + With that much weight, if it bottoms out, it might result in something binding/rubbing that the stock shock wouldn't.

Last option: racetech can custom build you a shock. It's $$$$. But...they could do it.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Idk u can try changing ur sprocket that might help and its not that costly so u dont have to dump to much into it itll help change ur gear ratio maybe try upgrading ur jets in ur carbs besides that im not sure and becareful breaking when u have someone else on the back ud have to remember to start breaking sooner

Comment

If you look at the VIN tag on the frame near the steering stem it will list vehicle GVWR. Take that and subtract the wet weight of your bike (you didn't mention model) and what's left over is how much you can safely load on the bike.

Comment

I have an 06 600 what would you recommend for oil and spring also back shock its still oem and getting pretty warn now i have 39k on them

Comment

Fork oil, Fuchs synthetic 15wt is what I use. As far as shock, I'd rebuild and respring a post 750 unit. I recommend Race Tech springs.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Fork oil, Fuchs synthetic 15wt is what I use. As far as shock, I'd rebuild and respring a post 750 unit. I recommend Race Tech springs.
              +1

Race tech can get you springs that are appropriate for your weight. They make a huge difference.
              Also, getting a rebuilt and properly sprung shock is huge too. They are both night and day differences in handling. If you can source a post 750 shock racetech can rebuild it, as can Norwest Suspension (run by a member here, TMod) . Hell, there's probably other places that can too, but I've dealt with both and had great experiences.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thnks

Just wanted to say thank you both very much that will help a lot

Comment

Working...
                X