X

wont start in cold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wont start in cold

Hey guys, my 2000 750 has an issue starting in the cold. It'll initially start and run for a few seconds then die when i let off the little throttle that I use during start. When it's warm, I'll let off the throttle and the rpms will drop then go back to a normal warm up rpm for the full choke. But cold, it just dies. And after that, I can't get it started no matter what. Any suggestions?

And "cold" is 30-50 degrees-ish.
    "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Are you using the choke? Try setting the choke at half way, and starting her up. Adjust the choke as the rpm's increase to keep her under 2000 rpm for a few minutes, and then without any choke, she should idle in the 1100 rpm range.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

yes, I'm using full choke. Later today it should be warmer so hopefully I'll have some better luck then. I'll try usin 1/2 choke and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Comment

I had the same issue with my 06 600, what I did was on full choke I cranked it over a couple of seconds with no throttle and repeated that a few times. I then put it on half choke and it fired right up. After fire I put it on full choke until it warmed up. Hitting the throttle seemed to make it worse

Comment

The "choke" is a fuel enrichment system. The more you pull the lever, the more extra fuel your adding.

The throttle opens the butterflies. The more you turn the throttle, the more air your adding to the sytem.

Cold engines need a richer mixture to start, and this is the reason for the enrichment sytem. If you open the throttle, your countering that by adding air.

So basicly... if opening the throttle helps you on a cold start... use less choke. Your shooting for a position that will start the bike with no throttle used at all.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

as a air/oil cooled bike they will be a bit tempermental to start until you find that sweet spot and remember it everytime you go to start it up. I would also do some prevenitive maintance and check/change the spark plugs. You could be flooding it by over choking. That right there will cause a even harder time starting.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

So I figured out that it was user error. I typically give it a smidge of throttle on start up and then let go of it after it cranks up. I found out that I was letting go of the throttle too early and as long as I hold the throttle for about a full second she'll stay running and not die. One of those quirks I guess

Comment

you should just ship it to FLA (pm me for address) and get a new one...

****EDIT****

n/m your in FLA, I'll come pick it up whenever your ready....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Just an FYI I found out while I'm working on my 1999 Kat 750. Under the tank is an inline fuel fitler...if it gets dirty it will effect cold starts. It may not have anything to do with your concerns, but hey FYI right....

Comment

Interesting katat, i'll have to take a look at it next time I have the bike apart thanks for the tip

Comment

Damn I've been trying to get my bike started and it's driving me insane.. I hate carbs!

Here's my scenario on a 1999 600. Had the bike started up 1 month ago when it was actually 40F. Now that I have a few people wanting to look at the bike (might sell it due to a kid coming up) And/or a few friends going out on rides..

1) Fully charged battery
                      2) Full tank of gas.. and I run stabil all year long
                      3) Oil was changed before the end of the season.. it looks a bit low on the centerstand, but I have oil.

I can't start it! It chugs a few times like it's juuust about to catch, but doesn't.
                      Petcock on prime for 10 secs.. nothing.. but I got it to backfire once! Yay.. I flooded it!

So, no more of that. Choke full on seems to be alright.. choke has to be full on when it's any colder than mid 40's for me.

Nothing... Tried starter fluid in the air box.. no difference.

ARGH!! (if I try less choke it doesn't even want to give the chug.. so it seems I still need the full choke on to start it).

Any other tips other than waiting till it's warmer? Can't push start it, no hills.. and can't hook the charger directly to it, not close enough to an outlet outside..

Comment

In the summer or spring my bike will start up within about 1-2 seconds of cranking on it with the starter button, but when its cold it dont wanna start to save its life. I have to crank on it for about 3 minutes to finally get it to start. But dont operate the starter for more than 15 seconds at a time

Comment

Originally posted by rice_rocket View Post
                          Any other tips other than waiting till it's warmer? Can't push start it, no hills.. and can't hook the charger directly to it, not close enough to an outlet outside..

Put it in neutral, turn the key on, put the choke on full, push the bike up to run speed, jump on, pull in clutch, shift up to 2nd gear, dump the clutch out....

I'll bet it will start by the 3rd time...

It's easier if you get someone else to push though.

(bumps starts all the time without a hill.)

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Haha I'm afraid to do it.. because if it doesn't start, I have a long way to push the bike back (and I don't have any hills nor any help except for the prego wife.. har har! )

Yeah.. I'm hoping for the weather to get warmer soon.. then I'll try it some more...

Comment

Its a game of playing with the choke when its cold. I crank on my with full choke for awhile "it wont start full choke" then move the choke to 1/4-1/2 and crank on it and it will fire some. then back to full choke for more cranking till it finnally fires

Comment

Working...
                              X