X

Tried to remove decals... can't get the glue off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry Darrin (),
    The age of the bike and glue are working against you, but I'm sure you already know this. That's the main reason why I never fooled with the decals on my 96. Anyway, this guy with a Honda F3 told me how he took his old decals off. His bike looks great. You do see slight fading where the decals use to be.

I was told to use a good cotton bath towel or wax removal pad, becuase you can easily buff out any scratches they may leave. Start with a test small section, maybe on the belly. Get your rag good and wet with gas and dab the glue. Go behind it with alcohol and goo off/gone, then rub a little. Repeat this process, you should eventually see the glue start to break down. Keep your rag/wax pad saturated while you rub. The wetter the better.

Good luck!!! I remember reading how difficult it was for people to get that stuff off.

This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
    BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Originally posted by medic6t9
      use wd40, spray on and let it sit for a few minutes then wipe with a clean cloth. repeat as needed and make sure you use a clean spot on the cloth each time or it smears glue everywhere. this works great.
      Yeah, works great on an '05; try this in 2015 and see how great it works It's posts like this getting the Pre's in trouble. Still waiting on a second user of the eraser pad.
      Round Rock, TX

Comment

Originally posted by jrocatx
        Originally posted by medic6t9
        use wd40, spray on and let it sit for a few minutes then wipe with a clean cloth. repeat as needed and make sure you use a clean spot on the cloth each time or it smears glue everywhere. this works great.
        Yeah, works great on an '05; try this in 2015 and see how great it works It's posts like this getting the Pre's in trouble. Still waiting on a second user of the eraser pad.
        I won't need to do it in 2015...lol

Comment

like butta my friends, like butta... second dayed the following product to me, ended up being cheaper than all the goo gone, turtle wax bug remover, pads and everything else. This took me about 9 minutes to remove all the glue. NOW, I have to go back and fix where I scratched it with all the crap I was using. Good find.

We carry the best selection of auto body tools, shop supplies, car paint, & car lifts for any garage. Call today for all your body shop needs!

I don't want to sound like a commercial, but it would have been cheaper if I found that particular post first. Thanks guy2600 and everyone else that PM/IM'ed me and gave thier support/suggestions.

Man, I'm so glad I don't have to get it repainted. Now, after I get it all waxed up, I'll post about how to buff out my stoopid in a bad mood trying to get the glue off in the first place mess.

Yeah, my baby's back. Thanks again all.

Edit: fixed link

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Can I borrow that for a minute ?
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Gary used ASTROGLIDE on his bike Not going to ask why you have that stuff around your house.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Yeah, it's done!!! Here are a few pictures of the progress. It still takes quite a bit of work with the wheel, (yes MD, elbow grease), but you make progress at least. Word to the wise, if you have an older Kat.. skip all the bug remover stuff, go with the wheel. In a pinch, I think you could use a pensil eraser, but I haven't tried it. This wheel seems to be made of the same material, and it is a complete mess to use, but it works.

Here, you can see the orginal bugger sticker residue, and what the wheel leaves behind. Messy

More Wheel Residue

After all the residue is gone, I cleaned it all with un-cut Simple Green...

No Shadow lines from Stickers Although, there are some where I got overly carried away with the previous trys with multiple removers. The lines were created by this destruction

Here is where I messed up the clear coat, where I got carried away

I'm going to post a before/after in The Katana talk forum, here is a preview

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  Can I borrow that for a minute ?
                  My neighbor already swiped it for his 95 cbr. I did my whole bike, and removed the pinstripes from my wives van, and there was still about half of it left. I may buy another just to have a round. On a side note, it takes bugs off real good like

Comment

Thanks bruh, you are the second satisfied customer. I will be ordering mines; better than a $700 paint job! Which tool did you use to rotate the eraser?
                    Round Rock, TX

Comment

Originally posted by jrocatx
                      Thanks bruh, you are the second satisfied customer. I will be ordering mines; better than a $700 paint job! Which tool did you use to rotate the eraser?
                      I just used a regular drill, however, if you have a cordless that doesn't throw off alot of heat, it would probably be better (I had to take a break from time to time for my hands to cool down from the drill exhaust). An air gun may even be better. I wouldn't use too cheap of a drill, because you will be putting a bit of sideways force on the chuck.

Now, that being said, the instructions explicitly state not to go over 4000 rpm. I used it more like a dentist when they are drilling out your cavities, if that makes any sense. Just don't zip the drill to full speed and smash it into your fairings

Comment

not highlly recommended, but lighter fluid will take it off.....not as harsh as gas, but test a spot first

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WHO HOO what a ride"

Comment

decals

Would you katriders consider it risky
                          to remove the decals myself from a
                          (darn near new) 2006 750 Kat?
                          I've read this thread up and down and
                          keep seeing that metal-looking surface
                          underneath when I pulled one back slightly.
                          Is it a layer of the decal? What is it??
                          Can't be metal, but is the decal multi-layered?

Would you??? Go for iT???
                          Think I'll start a thread asking "What's the biggest tire you can put on a Kat?"

Comment

Yeeehaa! I'm a squid!!
                            Think I'll start a thread asking "What's the biggest tire you can put on a Kat?"

Comment

Tried removing mine...

I tried removing mine on my 2006 Kat, same color as yours...

Anyway, I wouldn't recomend asphault

Let me know how getting the one on the other side goes.
                              Attached Files

Comment

decal removal

I will wait and research more before I go for it.
                                I have the products but not the nerve.

Comment

Working...
                                X