No announcement yet.
X

Cheap fix needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see you put the glass pac on, you may need the up the main jet to 117. that has no back pressure at all, combine that with an after market header, your gonna run lean.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Depending on the condition of your carbs float needles, leaving the petcock on prime can flood the crankcase with gas. Check your site (oops...sight, duh) glass for oil level. If its over full, then gas may have mixed with the oil. Do a oil change anyway if you haven't already done so. Its just you don't know how the last guy treated the bike. And as for the exhaust, play it safe and swap that back to stock as well.
      EDIT: And don't put car oil in the thing. It has a wet clutch, car oil will cause your clutch to burn up.
      Last edited by katanarider; 04-27-2017, 01:17 AM.
      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

He means install a M/C can... as the 4 to 1 isn't a stock system. And I would have to agree.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Ok so oil level still at full. I'm gonna pull the carbs tonight. There's no going back as far as the exhaust goes (because I'm broke) I'm gonna give them a good Cleaning. Gonna try to refrence carbs 101 as i go. I'll post on this thread as I go through the carbs

Comment

Originally posted by Ratbike92 View Post
            I'm gonna pull the carbs tonight. There's no going back as far as the exhaust goes (because I'm broke).
            Theres more to carbs than just pulling them and cleaning them.
            I hope you have access to a carb sync tool (Manometer) and all the other little knit picky things that go with it. Unless your positive your carbs are messed up, I still think stock exhaust is your "cheapest fix".
            Good luck

Comment

I have a serious question: why do broke people buy motorcycles? They aren't as cheap to own as a cheap car would be..... I just don't get that, at all. Not knocking your choice, just doesn't make since to be..
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

He probably doesn't even own a JIS screw driver. Or, even know what one is for that matter. I know I didn't. Ratbike, take your time buddy. I know you've got the itch, but you've got all the time in the world to get this right. Save your money and take one step at a time. Crawl before you walk, young grass hopper.

Comment

I appreciate you guys I really do but I made a bad decision buying the first bike I found on craigslist. I have no idea what they did to this bike but for some reason they added extra hoses to the petcock. After researching what it's supposed to look like and what's supposed to go where it's all janked up. Only way it idles after warm up without choke is on prime. Idk why they did it but I just need a bike for this season. Once winter comes around I'm starting fresh with a ""stock"" bike. Lol

Pretty sure this bike has been a project bike all it's l8fe.

And to answer your question 92xjunker. I've wanted a motorcycle since I was 12. Finally got to a point where I could and jumped on it. Love bikes. #startedfromthebottom working my way up
                  Last edited by Ratbike92; 04-29-2017, 10:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Naw, easy fix. Front big hose goes to the 3/4 carb set. Rear large hose goes to 1/2 carb set. The small hose on the back of the petcock goes to the right side of carb 4. Done

I'm not judging your decision but, you still can't afford one. If you skimp on a can, what else are you going to skimp on...chain and sprocket isn't one you want to skimp on and they run about $200+ a set. Then there is maintenance cost. Tire don't last long, you can easily go through 2 sets of lower priced tires a year, unless you spend $400 on a good set. Just sayin, bikes aren't cheap to own unless you rarely ride it.

Keep pound in it, we'll get you riding.

Do you have the pair system on your bike? Strange cans, valves and hoses, two of which run to the front of the head (by the header).
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-29-2017, 11:02 PM.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Once winter comes around I'm starting fresh with a ""stock"" bike
                      With your knowledge, you wouldn't know if the next bike is stock or not.
                      Messing with you... If you don't mine me asking, what did you pay for the Kat ? Its not a bad bike. Other bikes may tend to be more complicated or require extra maintenance. One of the greatest things about the Kat (in my opinion) is that its oil cooled. No changing anti-freeze or head gasket issues For me the only regular maintenance I have to do is wipe down my fork tubes, clean & oil the chain, start it about once a month to keep the carbs from clogging and like xjunker was saying, damn tires every season or two depending on quality of set. I put atleast 3k-5k a year on the old girl and I ride just about every day, as long as its not raining. I just love the 45 miles per gallon thing
                      EDIT: Actually, I just thought about something. You live in the mountains, so you may need to rebuild the carbs just because of that. Looks like you maybe out of luck after all. I believe Kreylyn lives pretty close to Knoxville. He'd be the one to answer that. Darn man, sucks not to have money.
                      Last edited by katanarider; 04-30-2017, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Don't just blindly follow Carbs 101, do some more reading first. As others have noted, there are many small tips and tricks to know.

Learn and do it right the first time, or don't learn first and get the opportunity to do it over, and over.....

Comment

Got it for a grand flat.

Comment

Did you sort the fuel lines out?
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Got it for a grand flat.
                              Considering the price of other bikes in good running condition, you may be ok. Stock (750cc) exhaust $120 as seen on ebay. Some one here may beat that. Rebuilding the carbs, professionally about $450 without a jet kit, about $550 with one. Again, someone local or here may be able to do it cheaper. Since your in the mountains, I think its safe to say you'll most likely need a jet kit tho. But, before you do all of that, get yourself a compression tester. I think you can find them for about $25-$30. If the rings aren't already worn beyond your budget, proceed.
                              Just know this, Katanas are NOT race bikes ! It very, very hard to do a wheelie and its not the best handling bike for sharp curves. If you want a real race bike, its gonna cost alot more than the $1500-$1600 you'll have invested. I've done said about all I can say. You make the decision from here. Its new thread time. See you around, maybe ?

Comment

I think he can get it going with minimal effort, it's just a learning curve that will ease with some help.
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X