No announcement yet.
X

What gas is everyone using?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run 87 in my '08 GSX650F, and have had no pinging, even though it's 12.5:1 compression ratio engine.

Happy riding,
    Kirk
    Living truly is truly living

Comment

few things on ethanol..

hi there ! i'm new (and by the way i'm working in chemistry)

there's a few things a can say about ethanol,

the good:
      -ethanol is more environmentally friendly
      -ethanol is CH3-CH2-OH, you can see there's oxygen in molecule, it can bring "liquid" oxygen to the combustion chamber and that can "raise" the octane level by few point (or decimal" like a little turbo
      -ethanol can merge with water and keep the tank free of water residu

the bad:
      -ethanol evaporate really fast, if you leave your bike without running it for 2 or 3 weeks, the water "merged" with ethanol is released in carburetor, and the varnish build-up is faster.
      -i'm not sure.. but ethanol can sometimes dry-up more faster rubber and plastic parts that are in contact with the gas
      -more power = more heating.. idle speed can run a little faster than supposed
      -can dissolve fiberglass tank, i'm thinking more of boating activity, but for the bodyshopper that can read this message..

so good or bad ? dunno.. make your choice. and don't store your bike with a tank full of ethanol !

Comment

Anything more than 87 on a stock engine is a waste of money.
        2014 Ducati Monster 1200
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

I usually use 91 because :
          1) It will be ping when it is over 90 degrees outside and I am running it hard. I blame this on the stock CA spec ignition box and 5 degree ignition advancer.
          2) Gas will lose octane as it sits. In the winter time, the bike might get ridden once a week or once every two months, depending on the weather. So, it gets 91 octane along with Startron.

However, I recently started running 87 octane. From what I have read, some of the things that are used to make 91 gas can have less energy than the 87 stuff, which means a little less power and mpg.
          I know that racers use the lowest octane required and that is what I try to do.

Comment

Why was this thread brought back to life.... really....
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I have a 1998 GSX600f and put 91 and it runs great. I did put 89 but it seems to run differently in a negative way so I went back to 91.

Comment

I used to use the $1.00 a gallon a really long time ago, then subsequently moved up to $2, 3$, and now a little over $4.00 a gallon, oh yeah, but the Octane has always been 87...
                "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

I run 89... it is 50ish cents more a fillup than 87 so figured.... what the hell

Comment

100 octane, because more octane equals more powah.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If your bike doesn't run the best on 87 octane... you really should fix your bike.

Jus sayn...

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

no less than rocket fuel will do the trick for my kat!

Comment

^^^ CRAZY!!!

Question for you all. Recently bought my 06' Kat600 and I haven't filled up yet (wich is awesome ) as I've been riding less than a month and it has rained a ton here. The prev owner said that he only used premium gas. Now would it be wise to swich to 89'? I would think that the bike would run a little different at first, and don't want to do anything potentially harmful.
                          "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
                          1 Corinthians 10:31
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doppleganger3814 View Post
                            ^^^ CRAZY!!!

Question for you all. Recently bought my 06' Kat600 and I haven't filled up yet (wich is awesome ) as I've been riding less than a month and it has rained a ton here. The prev owner said that he only used premium gas. Now would it be wise to swich to 89'? I would think that the bike would run a little different at first, and don't want to do anything potentially harmful.
                            They are tuned to run on 87 octane. Any more than that is really wasting money unless you get it tuned to run the higher stuff. It may actually run a little better on the regular 87.

Comment

^^^ Thanks! I'll fill up and see if there is anything drastically noticable in performance, because like you said, there's no point in wasting the money.
                              "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
                              1 Corinthians 10:31
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X