Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Overfill Now won't start!

Hi Kat Riders -- looking for a bit of n00b help with an overfill

I over filled my oil (probably about a quart over) similarly to this guy:

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

I wasn't too far over the F mark in the oil window, however as I've read this is often not overly accurate.

After changing the oil, the bike sounded very sluggish (requiring the choke to start and backfiring a bit), I thought this was just a symptom of being cold or not being riden for the last few weeks.

I did take the bike out for a spin for about 20-30 minutes and was eventually able to ease off the choke, as well, the back firing had subsided as well.

The real problems started a few days ago when I wasn't able to get the bike to start at all. The bike cranks, however won't turn over. I drained oil out of the bike to the correct level. I checked the spark plugs and they had been fouled by oil. I also tried to clean out any residual oil in the cylinders.

The bike will still not turn over... any recommendations on next steps or things to check? Did I break her before even starting the season!?

Thanks a ton!

Did you change the plugs or at least try to clean them?
    89 Katana 750
    06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

Originally posted by Malarky112 View Post
      Did you change the plugs or at least try to clean them?
      Plugs are new this season's when i pulled them, they were oilly so I cleaned them up before putting them back in

Comment

Check your air filter. There's a vent hose from the top of the valve cover to the breather box that's supposed to route fumes for burning. It's quite likely you blew a bunch of liquid oil into the breather box through that hose and now your filter is gummed up.

Also, make sure you're checking the oil level with the bike standing upright, not on the sidestand. Possible you're still somewhat overfilled.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          Check your air filter. There's a vent hose from the top of the valve cover to the breather box that's supposed to route fumes for burning. It's quite likely you blew a bunch of liquid oil into the breather box through that hose and now your filter is gummed up.

Also, make sure you're checking the oil level with the bike standing upright, not on the sidestand. Possible you're still somewhat overfilled.
          Thanks wild bill,

I'll take a look at the air filter today, is the breather tube the one that runs down beside the rear brake? Or is it literally inside the air filter? Any recommendations on how to clear it? Compressed air?

Re: oil I had it on the center stand and the window was empty.... I'll snap some shots and upload;

Thanks again kat riders

Comment

Originally posted by usdm_b18 View Post
            Thanks wild bill,

I'll take a look at the air filter today, is the breather tube the one that runs down beside the rear brake? Or is it literally inside the air filter? Any recommendations on how to clear it? Compressed air?

Re: oil I had it on the center stand and the window was empty.... I'll snap some shots and upload;

Thanks again kat riders
            The tube is the one that's attached to the rear of the airbox. Disconnect it and simply let it drain out if there's anything in there. Be sure it's plugged and not cracked at the tip or you're going to have a vac leak.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

OK, that's the drain tube for the airbox. The vent tube is the one that runs from the valve cover to the top, front of the airbox. Normally, the oil fumes go through the vent tube into the airbox and get drawn into the engine to get burned. Any oil condensation or liquid blow-by collects in the bottom of the airbox and can be drained through the drain tube.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Update

Just a quick update:

I finally came across some time this week and was able to pull the bike back apart:

1) I pulled off the cap on the airbox bottom drain tube and the was some oil that drained out (probably about a caps' worth)

2) I then went about pulling off the tank and got into the airbox and pulled out the air filter and took a look into the airbox here's what I found:

There was a bit of oil in airbox however fairly limited amounts, I cleaned it up as well as the airfilter

3) While I was cleaning these out, I noticed that there was a bit of oil dripping from the right cable, so I blew them out and there was some residual oil that was pushed back into the airbox. I blew out both lines until they were reasonably clear.

A few quick questions;

1) in the last photo, where were these supose to be plugged into? I don't recall them being plugged into anything are they supose to be left out? Are they for breathing?

2) My battery's dead and I'll be charging it tonight and plugging it back in; if I again am unable to get the bike to turnover, what are my next steps?

3) Does anything in the photos seem grossly out of place?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Comment

1. the hoses are just vent and pretty sure there are places to hook them on the back of the air box
                  2. another set of new spark plugs , you have flooded them and thats your problem
                  3. add a half of a can of Sea Foam fuel treatment(walmart or Napa) to a full tank of fuel I suspect your fuel is last years are just bad
                  4. a fully charged battery should start right up with the above

OUR canadian ethanol blended fuel is crap, the bunky fuel fouls plugs really fast

JIK check your oil level again , a stuck carb float will run fuel into your oil
                  I dont think thats your problem , just bad fuel
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                    1. the hoses are just vent and pretty sure there are places to hook them on the back of the air box
                    2. another set of new spark plugs , you have flooded them and thats your problem
                    3. add a half of a can of Sea Foam fuel treatment(walmart or Napa) to a full tank of fuel I suspect your fuel is last years are just bad
                    4. a fully charged battery should start right up with the above

OUR canadian ethanol blended fuel is crap, the bunky fuel fouls plugs really fast

JIK check your oil level again , a stuck carb float will run fuel into your oil
                    I dont think thats your problem , just bad fuel

Thanks Rexazz;

Actually the sparks are new this season; I've already gone and cleaned them out, hopefully I don't have to fork out some more $ to replace them.

Batt's been charging all night; looking forward to givin'er a good crank tonight or tomorrow morning.

Will update!

Thanks again;

Comment

Those 2 hoses attach along the front side of the airbox and go down. Go back to a stock air filter. My K&N was nothing but trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by usdm_b18 View Post
                        Thanks Rexazz;

Actually the sparks are new this season; I've already gone and cleaned them out, hopefully I don't have to fork out some more $ to replace them.

Batt's been charging all night; looking forward to givin'er a good crank tonight or tomorrow morning.

Will update!

Thanks again;
                        If you got a propane torch burn off those plugs first
                        its impossible to clean the oil fuel deposit that is down the porcelin and thats what will probably not let it start or run well
                        You should really just replace them

Originally posted by muffinman View Post
                        Those 2 hoses attach along the front side of the airbox and go down. Go back to a stock air filter. My K&N was nothing but trouble.
                        If it was tuned to run with the K&N dont worry about it
                        My 04 ran well with it and so does Batgirls bike

can you flip your K&N over and take another picture ??
                        the open end should have a rubber donut in it ,with out it the bike will run like crap
                        Last edited by rexazz2; 04-13-2012, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I second the motion to buy new plugs and charge the battery.
                          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

So it's 3:32AM and I've finally given up for the evening;

Here's the update:
                            -fully charged battery (no start)
                            -pulled sparks and cleaned up a bit more (there was some liquid gas, cleaned off)
                            -opened up the air chamber and cleaned out even further
                            -tried a few shots of cold start
                            -pulled sparks and checked if there was ignition (confirmed)
                            -cranked a few more times...

best I go was one cylinder firing and a bit of back firing; starter was cranking hard; however wasn't able to get it turn over... looking for some more ideas...

Rexazz, here's the bottom of the filter; it does have the dohnut on the back

Here's a pic of the front end of the carbs as seen through the air chamber:

Spark plugs as pulled before being cleaned up *it should be noted that these were cleaned a few days ago when I pulled them and tried to get it started.

Here's what happened when I tried to crank it; as well as give it some cold start:

[ame="http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t447/usdm_b18/?action=view&current=e25d8db6.mp4"]e25d8db6.mp4 video by usdm_b18 - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%...%2Fe25d8db6.mp4[/ame]

Going to hit the sack; any more ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Katriders;

PS: I'm about to give up -- any recomendations of Toronto based Mechanics that can help me get this sucker started? Or anyone want to make a couple of extra bucks?
                            Last edited by usdm_b18; 04-14-2012, 02:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

hope you left all the spark plugs out to let the motor dry out it is for sure flooded

how old is the fuel in the tank ??

when did the bike last run well ??

did you add sea foam to the fuel ??

did you installed the air filter when you tried to start? , you must have it in

Comment

Working...
                              X