Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

buying a '88 600 with carbs missing- what year carbs work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They appear to be 1988 front fork. I tried to zoom in, but the picture got blurry. If they have those black knobs on the top that you can turn, they are 1989-1997. If the tops are just solid, they are 1988.

Comment

The caps were gray, from what I remember.

Apparently the 89 carbs were effed up upon inspection, we're getting 90 carbs with airbox, petcock and left handlebar switch

The date on the bike's neck is 10/88
      Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
      Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
      2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

I've bought a ton of stuff at junkyards. It's ALL effed up. That's kinda why it's at the junkyard. BTW, if the build date is 10/88, it's an 89. You might want to check the left switch before you buy one a realize you already have it.
        Last edited by arsenic; 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Hm. Well, my brother apparently didn't get the left switch anyways. So here goes nothing.

It's gonna take him a bit to get this thing running 100%.
          Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
          Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
          2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Originally posted by black&blue View Post
            It's gonna take him a bit to get this thing running 100%.
            You mean like forever?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              You mean like forever?
              not really, aside from the damn carbs being gone the rest of the bike was in pretty good shape and the compression checked out. This bike, unlike mine, hasn't been hacked up.

Comment

not to jack on your thread but what exactly do u need to convert from 89 carbs to 90-97 carbs?

Comment

See post #3. But with 1989, you already have a cable actuated choke. So just the air box and petcock.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 03-26-2012, 11:02 PM.

Comment

thats good because i have an 89.. so the vacuum/purge lines will be the same place?

Comment

Working...
                    X