X

89 katana stock to 4-1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 katana stock to 4-1

ok heres the deal........im on my second 89 600 kat and the first one i had ...the previous owner had cut off the left muffler and welded up that hole.....and added a kerker pipe making it 4-1 it seemed work good but i had so many prolems with that bike its hard to say if that was causing all my misses and carb issues....

On my current kat i have the opportunity to pick up a stock can from a 2001 f4i or a stock can from a 2003 636 for next to nothing...like 50 bucks. so my question is can i just cut off the left pipe right by where it connects at the "H" and seal the hole? or might i have more air flowing from cylinders 3-4 than 2-3? and will this screw anything up?

i added a pic of my stock setup and am talking about cutting where the red line is and welding that up and then cut the other side and weld the new pipe...

Heres a pic of what i am possibly getting..
    sigpicMike
    1990 gsx-f 600

I don't have any experience with this but I don't imagine it to be a very good idea. The stock Kat exhaust is pretty restrictive to begin with, and it won't flow properly with that type of setup. I would just look for a used 4-1 that will fit. check http://www.rpm-cycle.com/ seems to be some good deals there.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

ya that is a good site...saw a header off of a 02 kat 600 ...would this fit?
      sigpicMike
      1990 gsx-f 600

Comment

Yes, the header from a 98+ kat will fit the pre-98. However, the collector does not completely clear the oil pan, so you'll have to use a peening hammer to dent in the collector a bit. If you replace the oil pan with a 98+, then you'll have no fitment issues.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

thanks,,, so i guess its a bad idea try and convert the stock pipes to 4-1.....i went ahead and ordered the header off of an 02 750 kat
          sigpicMike
          1990 gsx-f 600

Comment

4 into 1 headers

well i am just about done my project....i installed the 750 headers..after banging the crap out of them with proper tools of course. I also put on a cbr f4i pipe which sounds pretty mean on this bike..

I dremmeled out the header as well, and i had to buy a $4.99 aqdapter(mid pipe) from canadian tire tho.

I took it out for a ride last night (-12 c ) just for 5 minuites and i am pretty sure i noticed a difference in the whole power range ( seemed to wheelie easier :P )and she sounds wicked

so now the fine tuning begins........i will post some pics soon but waiting on digi cam
            sigpicMike
            1990 gsx-f 600

Comment

Re: 4 into 1 headers

cool...post pics as soon as you can.

Originally posted by katana mike
              well i am just about done my project....i installed the 750 headers..after banging the crap out of them with proper tools of course. I also put on a cbr f4i pipe which sounds pretty mean on this bike..

I dremmeled out the header as well, and i had to buy a $4.99 aqdapter(mid pipe) from canadian tire tho.

I took it out for a ride last night (-12 c ) just for 5 minuites and i am pretty sure i noticed a difference( seemed to wheelie easier :P ) in the whole power range and she sounds wicked

so now the fine tuning begins........i will post some pics soon

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

here are a few updated pics
                Attached Files
                sigpicMike
                1990 gsx-f 600

Comment

more
                  Attached Files
                  sigpicMike
                  1990 gsx-f 600

Comment

i have couple more pics but have reached my limit for adding pictures to this threadf??

in my ride profile i got an up close of the muffler connecting to header
                    sigpicMike
                    1990 gsx-f 600

Comment

Working...
                    X