X

USD Forks and 17 Inch conversion 92 1100 GSXF

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Forks and 17 Inch conversion 92 1100 GSXF

Ok guys, here goes. I will post pics of progress as it comes and goes and I will also do a more detail/technical write up for the specific areas once I have the project done and road tested...

I want to start by thanking everyone that has posted their projects because it was from here that I decided to go ahead and spruce up my old Kat...

Most of the parts I picked up from a torn up 95 GSXR 750 for $500...

As of right now, i have been working on making/prepping parts so that when I do the switch over it should be a lot eaisier...

Here are some pics of my Kat as it stands.
    Handle bars... I do have the cover...

Front and Rear Rims...

These are the rims I picked up...

Here they are after I cleaned/stripped, and sand blasted them. I rattle canned them so I could decide on a color to Powder Coat later on. I also put on a new set of Contis...

These are the Forks I will be installing..

Because the GSXR has clip-ons, I had to Fabricate an adapter/riser...

I started with flat stock, approx 5/16 inch.. and with a hacksaw and a file shaped it...

I built inserts for the bottom of the upper triple tree in order to reinforce.. was not confortable with the thin aluminum holding my fat A**...

I then drilled a 1 and 7/8 hole to allow for the adjusters to clear and welded a 2 inch thick pipe that was cut to three inches long as the risers on the holes I just cut...thats where the GSXR clip ons will mount to.. should give me the same height as the stock Kat has... just need to powder coat...

One other thing so far, I bought a front fender that had that blue to purple paint on it for 40 bucks..guy selling it failed to tell me that it was missing one of the rear mounting ears... Well, i went to the store and bought a cheap ABS funnel, I used the tab on its lip to make a new ear that I plastic welded to the fender. No pics of the before, I am an impatient ******* sometimes..lol But here are the pics of the fender after I rattle canned it...

I have to come up with a way to make the steering stop, i think I have it figured out, and there was a write up for USD forks here that I may have to re-read...

Once i figure that out, its order new break lines, originals wont reach.. and start the actual swap.

I also have to make a mounting bracket for the rear caliper and cut some spacers...should not be too bad...

As I said, I am still riding and setting up as much as I can for when I decide to tear down the Kat for the surgery... I will post as I complete things...
    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Nice work, Keep it up!
    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
    1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Looking good so far. One question: Why not just bolt the stock risers/bars to that plate? That'd leave you able to use the stock cover to keep it looking nice.

(I'm sure you have your reasons. I'm just interested in what they are.)
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thought about it, but The positioning of the bolts compared to the thinner GSXR upper looked funky. the height was not going to be the same either.

As for looking nice, It won't have a cover, but I will make caps to cover the top of the pipes. It will be cosmetic, so I will leave it for last...lol

My only worry is vibrations...

Comment

I'd also wonder about hitting the tank and mirrors. I've had trouble with that before when I changed out bars for clip-ons and depending on how I have my brake/clutch levers turned I can hit the mirrors now with the stock setup. If you hadn't already built them I'd have suggested leaving the tubes long and cutting them after test-fitting.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I bolted the clip ons and matched to the bike....it should make all clearances...

I measured it a ton of times... the clisp ons will angle down a little more, but is is extremely slight, and will be at the stock Kat height...

Comment

Ok, finished the risers... Here is what they will look like without the controls...

Once I get the break lines i will swap the entire front and then start the rear rim swap to match....

Comment

Those look really good. What's the bar between the clip-ons going to be used for?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
                    Must follow!
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      Those look really good. What's the bar between the clip-ons going to be used for?
                      In answer to your question, it will serve three fold...

1. I am a nuts and bolts guy... was a mechanic for almost 17 years before I moved to the dark side and became a manager... so I wanted a little extra security in knowing that the clip ons would not rotate. I tapped the bar itself and the two bolts thread right into it, it will not allow either clip on to rotate individually in any direction.

2. I use one of the small bags that came with my Chase Harper saddle bags for my phone and house keys that I used to attach to the top of the tree on the original setup, I can still do that with the bar...

3. When I make the caps for the tubes, I have a dandy place to bolt them down now...

It seemed really a pain to come up with a set-up for clip ons. It turned out eaisier than I though looking back on it now. If you see the earlier pics, all I did was put masking tape on a piece of stock and then traced the triple to know where to cut... I will keep posting as I make progress... A note to anyone reading and thinking of doing the same, all of it was done with hand tools. The only special thing you will need is a welder, or a welding shop to attach the tubes to the adapter plate...

Right now my inspection is ready to run out, and with the heat I am not really riding a lot. I think this weekend, or next, I will start the full swap out...
                      Last edited by Nut-Nut; 07-24-2011, 12:27 AM.

Comment

hope that doesn't stop you from adjusting your suspension. I am also looking to raise my gsxr bars. would you be interested in selling kit to me?
                        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                          hope that doesn't stop you from adjusting your suspension. I am also looking to raise my gsxr bars. would you be interested in selling kit to me?

No it does not, that is why it took me awhile to figure out exactly how to do it. The tubes are holed all the way through to allow for the adjusters. The top triple in the gsxr is flush with the top of the tubes, as you are aware, and the adjusters sit on top of that. If the adapter did not have the holes cut in it, I could not mount it.

As for the possibility of selling you a kit, This is the first I have done and my wrist stills hurts from all the filing and cutting I had to do. Hit me up in the winter and we can talk.

Comment

Great work,I,ll be following this
                            And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Comment

Thanks... I'll keep posting as progress hapens... as life and work schedules allow...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X