New to bikes, Kats, and forum. Shoulda done all this sooner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to bikes, Kats, and forum. Shoulda done all this sooner

Hello all,
    Currently bored and trollin net, seemed a good time for a post. Viewed this forum countless times before and since buying my 06 Katana 600, good info, good community, only makes since to join. In love with my bike so far, think i made a good choice all around, despite any unjustified grief kats seem to get in certain circles.

It may seem like a contradiction, but i have no need to break land speed records, and REALLY dont like giving local government any more money than i have to. Depite that i consider myself an amature engineer, and as such, every time my eyes make contact with something my brain starts thinking of ways to improve it. Its heavy, but that seems to make it stable, which is a plus, its a comfy ride (i sat on a gsxr600 at a dealership while shopping around and if felt like i had been balled up and crammed onto a toy) but from what ive seen and read so far the engine has alot of unrealized potential. So far bike, to my knowledge, is 100% stock (though i did adjust the suspension a bit), but my current plans, to start with, are to get a decent slip-on off ebay, k&n filter, richen fuel by adjusting the stock carb jets, then if possible try to run one grade hotter spark plugs. Sprockets im guessing would make a bigger difference than all the above (right?) but i dont really like the idea, seems like i would loose some drivability and wear the engine much faster.

Opinions/ideas appreciated if you got em, but not required, Im sure theres plenty of postings here on everything ive mentioned. Like i said, just bored and felt like rambling a bit.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. A large number of electrons, however, were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to KR. there is wealth of information hidden with in this site. the two major things i have found useful are the search engine and to follow the post ho's threads from the past/present and futere! good luck and happy motoring.
    "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Sounds like you got it pretty well planned out, and it sounds good. One piece of advice though, most people on here will tell you to avoid the k&n's, they cause major headaches with the tuning of the kats. Oh and, welcome!
      Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Welcome and +1 on forget the K&N, especially if your are going for a slip on. Better to invest the money on a Factory Pro jet kit ($100.00 or so), that will give you a nice perfomance boost.

Comment

I have an 05 it has a scorpian exhaust that sounds great and the bike idles too well .Im always listening and looking for improvements and since completing the integrated tail light I havent done a thing .The motor is solid and the bike runs as smooth as a kat can run.If you want an idea ,try a Halo head light mod .Im thinking about it myself
          Im waiting until winter to do any mods ,Riding season is here so youll only see me wrist twisting good luck and welcome
          I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome to KR!
              Former Marine 3/97-3/01
              MOS 0161 Semper FI!
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome! The only thing I disagree with is the hidden potential in the engine.. Not a lot can be done for big gains.. Probably the easiest is to do an engine swap with an early gsxr or bandit 1200.
                -2000 "750"

Comment

Welcome!
                  sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                  1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                  2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                  First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                  Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

welcome , when I first joined I read probably every thread there was for like 2 weeks before saying anything. loots of good info here.
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Welcome! A lot of great ideas here and even more great people.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. Filter upgrade seemed an obvious nobrainer from my background with cars, but i guess ill trust your experience.
                        As for the motor swap idea, im still a total newb. I used to ride dirtbikes alot when i was in highschool, but i learned quickly streetbikes are a whole different world, so i dont want to go to big just yet. Still, its something ill have to keep in mind. Will the larger powertrains fit without major frame modding?
                        No trees were harmed in the making of this post. A large number of electrons, however, were horribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Welcome
                          I read thru the exhaust forum before buying a Two Brothers V2 that I just finished installing. Exhaust sounds great,may go with jet kit to see if I can get a little more out of the bottom end (below 3000 rpm).Lots of info here you just have to sort thru it.

Comment

welcome. +1 on no k&n filter=go stock. +1 on fp jet kit. i have a delkevik slip on, sounds good not extremely loud.
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
                              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                              X