X

noob question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question.

Ok. So i KNOW I'm probably going to be laughed at, but I have to ask for my own sanity. The only other bike i had was a 250 cruiser and my 02 750 kat is the only other bike I have ever driven.

On my way home from work last night I took the long way home and on this route there is a nice long straight away. So, for the first time since owning this bike, I completely opened up on it. When I did, I noticed something that seemed weird to me. I know its how its supposed to be, but when i opened up on it (in higher gears), it climbed to about 6k rpms then jumped to 11k and speed up then fall back to about 8k.

Can someone explain to me how this happens and why?

Originally posted by Nofear6677 View Post
    Ok. So i KNOW I'm probably going to be laughed at, but I have to ask for my own sanity. The only other bike i had was a 250 cruiser and my 02 750 kat is the only other bike I have ever driven.

On my way home from work last night I took the long way home and on this route there is a nice long straight away. So, for the first time since owning this bike, I completely opened up on it. When I did, I noticed something that seemed weird to me. I know its how its supposed to be, but when i opened up on it (in higher gears), it climbed to about 6k rpms then jumped to 11k and speed up then fall back to about 8k.

Can someone explain to me how this happens and why?

The first answer that pops to mind is a poorly adjusted clutch that allowed for slipping. The real power of the bike is 8K+ rpms... so under that your not really pushing the clutch at all.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

once it kicks back down to 8k it takes off. quick. but it just goes up to 11k first. and it slowly climbs to the 6k to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Nofear6677 View Post
        once it kicks back down to 8k it takes off. quick. but it just goes up to 11k first. and it slowly climbs to the 6k to start.

Right... in other words... the power isn't there to cause the clutch to slip under 6k, so it doesnt'.

Then, when you go over 6k there is a sudden dramatic difference in power, that causes the clutch to slip and the rpms jump up.

Slipping doesn't mean it's not still pulling... so you are still going faster and faster and then the rpms of the engine and the speed start to match closer again and the clutch slips less if at all... dropping back down to match your actual speed.

So... I would start with checking the clutch adjustment.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

So how exactly would I go about doing this?

Comment

First thing is first here try this http://www.metal-fab.net/files/98~02...e%20Manual.pdf

It should help with everything you need.

Comment

The clutch adjustment is actually pretty easy. I've done it two or three times, and after the first time, didnt need to refer to the instructions.

And if that still doesnt help, maybe you can join my burnt plates club.
              ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
              チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
              Semper Fi

Comment

get the manual, read it.

hit the mechanical how to and FAQ section... read it

heres the manual section on adjusting the clutch, please do so before ya need new friction plates, and remewmber, when doing oil changes, DO NOT USE CAR OIL, use only JASO/MA rated MC oil ...

See My Garage for mods...
                T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Working...
                X