X

How To: Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
    If it was me, I'd go with the stiffer springs as I still have some fork dive and I have a lot of other add-ons to my bike that the calculator can not factor in, but that's just me.

The purpose of springs, or even the whole suspension for that matter, is not to provide soft cushion comfort but to keep the wheel(s) on the road, to aid in providing traction for the tires.

A few years back I bought one of the last remaining Ohlins rear shock available.

The 750 rear shock is fully adjustable. What can be done is have Tmod (Terry) either rebuild yours, if you have a 750, or purchase one from him. He cab custom rebuild the OEM shock to your needs. He is a member here and you can PM if you wish. He is active in this suspension section as that is what he deals with.
    Originally posted by steves View Post
    Try contacting resident suspension guru tmod. IN fact he might be able to get you a better price on the parts.
    Once again, thanks guys, looks like I need to contact Tmod! I'll shoot him a message and see what kind of magic he can work with my suspension.

Comment

so i have a question, im going to be rebuilding a set of forks soon, and i will not be installing emulators. do i still need to dothe whole brazing thing or is there a set i dont need to do?

Comment

Originally posted by beatup86 View Post
        so i have a question, im going to be rebuilding a set of forks soon, and i will not be installing emulators. do i still need to dothe whole brazing thing or is there a set i dont need to do?
        If you are not installing the emulators, why would you be posting in an informative thread about installing them?

Oh and no, obviously you don't need to braze the damper rod if you are not installing emulators.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

posting cause it said & REBUILD FORKS. and i need to rebuild them, so hence the question.

Comment

Sounds like you need to check out threads like this then. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120255
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

i appreciate you posting that for more info. but i like this one cause its more detailed, and i like detailed instructions for the first time im going to do something. but thank you

Comment

It was my frist time also and I have sucess, print the tutorial with pictures and follow step by step you'll see that its really easy

Comment

Originally posted by beatup86 View Post
                  do i still need to dothe whole brazing thing or is there a set i dont need to do?
                  No, since you are only rebuilding the stock forks you do not need to braze the rebound holes. That procedure is only for the purpose of installing the emulators.

You will still need to unbolt them from the bottom to separate the forks and then install them with a new crush washer.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

So will this work at all for a 2006 katana 600?

Comment

Originally posted by tstew325 View Post
                      So will this work at all for a 2006 katana 600?
                      Yes, I have an 06 Katana 600 with the RaceTech emulators and springs.

This is the write-up I used. Can't remember if anything was different, but if so, it's only minor.

Two biggest things in my memory was drilling the new holes accurately, which I did by making a V-shape out of a 2x4 to hold the damping rod for drilling in a drill press, and brazing the original valving holes shut. It was my first time brazing, and wasn't that bad.

Comment

Thanks I'll keep that in mind

Comment

The installation process works for just about any emulator-style fork. Whether it be from the older Bandit 600 or the Generation 1 V-strom 650, etc.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Hate to revive an old thread, but since I'm on a parts buying kick

What's the purpose of having these emulators in the forks? I understand that they allow for adjustment of compression rate, but don't the stock forks allow for adjustment as well?

I feel confused by this "upgrade" if you will.

Regardless, I should likely look at rebuilding my forks because I've never honestly even looked into them. 11,XXX kms on my post kat.
                            2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
                            - Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
                              Hate to revive an old thread, but since I'm on a parts buying kick

What's the purpose of having these emulators in the forks? I understand that they allow for adjustment of compression rate, but don't the stock forks allow for adjustment as well?

I feel confused by this "upgrade" if you will.

Regardless, I should likely look at rebuilding my forks because I've never honestly even looked into them. 11,XXX kms on my post kat.

Here is everything you need to know.They make the forks of any bike way more responsive and react faster to changing road conditions.My Kat forks on my GS5 will be getting a full Racetech make over by me and also my V Star will be getting the same treatment.Well worth the money and work if you ride a lot.I do a minimum of 10,000 a year.
                              I am the one "THEY" call Ben.
                              http://maniccycles.blogspot.com/
                              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manic-...69358576434069

Comment

Originally posted by ben2go View Post
                                Well worth the money and work if you ride a lot.I do a minimum of 10,000 a year.
                                Last year I put on 500km (work sucked last year).

This year I expect to put on 3,000km max.

I don't think this upgrade is for me because this is where the beaten path seems to stray from "reasonable" to "outrageous" in the money pit department.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise... I may need to rebuild my forks anyways, so if I'm going down the rabbit hole, why not spend the extra $200 to ride down into the hole in a Ferrari
                                2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
                                - Aaron

Comment

Working...
                                X