Slimming the katana down?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slimming the katana down?

Hey guys.

I'm new to forums and new to owning a katana. It's an 05 750. I was wondering if you guys had an ideas/suggestions on how to slim it down a bit. I know it's a sport touring but it just seems to be really bulky. I thought about a street fighter project but I don't know of I want to go that route.

Another question, did they ever come out with katana specific bodywork that's aftermarket?

I feel dumb asking all this. But I'd definitely appreciate the help and tips.

Slimming it down size-wise or weight-wise?
    Either way the only real answer is to fighter it and chop off every single unnecessary piece.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I guess a bit of both. I'd just like it to have a slimmer sleeker look if at all possible.

Comment

Trade it in for a GSXR?
        Lol not saying the kat is a bad bike, but sounds like its not what you were after.
        The katanas made before 1998 don't have the bulky looking fairings like the post models do. Maybe you should looking into getting one of them if you still want the sport tourer with a less bulky look, plus the engines in the pre's are better IMO.
        Last edited by cintidude04; 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
          Trade it in for a GSXR?
          Lol not saying the kat is a bad bike, but sounds like its not what you were after.

I think post Kats look like overweight Pokemons. I think the pre's are much nicer looking. If you like the bike, but not the look, fighter it. If you don't like the look or the ride, get a different bike.
          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Lol that's the problem. I love the way it rides. I'll probably end up fightering it I suppose.
            I'm still paying for it anyhow so my hands are tied until the end of that. Them I might look into trading it depending on the cost to fighter it. The problem would be to find someone to trade :P

Comment

The Pre's if modded well can look very slim. The fighters can shed about 50 pounds off the bike. but the heaviest single part of the bike is the frame...second to that is a full tank of gasoline in the metal tank (or maybe one of the engine sections). both of those can be replaced but your not going to have the same bike by then...

The post katanas look all weird and bulbousy to me fully faired, but once again 50 pounds can be removed easily by fightering.

lighter weight battery placed lower on the frame can help the bike feel a lot less top heavy giving the impression of lightness.

for real weight savings read :
              KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
              and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

So if really light touring bike is what you want then I would look for an Aluminum framed sport Tourer.
              Last edited by il_ragazzo; 03-19-2012, 08:20 PM.
              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

If it feels heavy to you, there are 3 words to fix it...

suspension
                suspension
                suspension

Seriously, I went from a Ninja 250 to a pre 600 and the Kat felt like a big lumbering whale. Where the 250 was "flicky" in curves, the Kat felt like trying to turn a freight train from side to side. I made plans to upgrade the Kat to a GSXR in a few years because it was so ponderous. Then Tim talked me into going ahead and having Tmod do me up a suspension that would lower it to suit me better and a side effect of that was getting a suspension that was set up for me weight and size wise. The difference was night and day. It went from being heavy and difficult to almost intuitive in the handling. It is like riding a different bike.

Most folks around here will tell you the best bang for your buck upgrade is a Factory Pro stage one jetkit, and I'm not going disagree, but in my opinion a very close second is getting a proper suspension. Looks can be changed with time, patience, and money. I promise that the right suspension will make it seem 75 lighter (until you have to pick it up after dropping it).
                Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                  I promise that the right suspension will make it seem 75 lighter (until you have to pick it up after dropping it).
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                    Trade it in for a GSXR?
                    double ditto!

Originally posted by rogue_statue View Post
                    Lol that's the problem. I love the way it rides. I'll probably end up fightering it I suppose.
                    I'm still paying for it anyhow so my hands are tied until the end of that. Them I might look into trading it depending on the cost to fighter it. The problem would be to find someone to trade :P
                    well that all depends on how you look at it. you need to weigh your options.
                    you know....comparing the cost of what you will lose by selling it now, against the cost of modifying it into something you like better, and the loss in value of the bike which will accompany it.

example: you owe $3k for the bike, then spend another $500 or so in making it a fighter, with the end result being a bike you like better, but only worth $2k (if that) because you made it "non stock". so right there, you have already lost $1500.

on the other hand, you owe $3k on the bike, and you sell it for $2300-$2500, you only lose $500-700.

it all boils down to this one question....do you want to lose more money over the long run, or lose less money now?

personally, if it was me, and I wasn't crazy about the bike, I would not spend money on trying to make it into something I "might" like better. I would just cut my losses and move on to another bike that would suit me better. taking a small hit to the wallet now is better than spending even more money into trying to make the bike into something it isn't, and losing even more money.

that's my 2 cents.
                    Last edited by Mojoe; 03-20-2012, 01:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                      double ditto!

well that all depends on how you look at it. you need to weigh your options.
                      you know....comparing the cost of what you will lose by selling it now, against the cost of modifying it into something you like better, and the loss in value of the bike which will accompany it.

example: you owe $3k for the bike, then spend another $500 or so in making it a fighter, with the end result being a bike you like better, but only worth $2k (if that) because you made it "non stock". so right there, you have already lost $1500.

on the other hand, you owe $3k on the bike, and you sell it for $2300-$2500, you only lose $500-700.

it all boils down to this one question....do you want to lose more money over the long run, or lose less money now?

personally, if it was me, and I wasn't crazy about the bike, I would not spend money on trying to make it into something I "might" like better. I would just cut my losses and move on to another bike that would suit me better. taking a small hit to the wallet now is better than spending even more money into trying to make the bike into something it isn't, and losing even more money.

that's my 2 cents.

There isnt enough money in the world to make a Katana into a GSXR. If you want a light agile bike, you bought the wrong one.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

^ agreed.
                        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                          If it feels heavy to you, there are 3 words to fix it...

suspension
                          suspension
                          suspension

Seriously, I went from a Ninja 250 to a pre 600 and the Kat felt like a big lumbering whale. Where the 250 was "flicky" in curves, the Kat felt like trying to turn a freight train from side to side. I made plans to upgrade the Kat to a GSXR in a few years because it was so ponderous. Then Tim talked me into going ahead and having Tmod do me up a suspension that would lower it to suit me better and a side effect of that was getting a suspension that was set up for me weight and size wise. The difference was night and day. It went from being heavy and difficult to almost intuitive in the handling. It is like riding a different bike.

Most folks around here will tell you the best bang for your buck upgrade is a Factory Pro stage one jetkit, and I'm not going disagree, but in my opinion a very close second is getting a proper suspension. Looks can be changed with time, patience, and money. I promise that the right suspension will make it seem 75 lighter (until you have to pick it up after dropping it).

Essentially this is my problem. As far as fightering it, that's definitely a possibly because I've seen several Kat made fighters (in pics) that I've been really drawn to. I'd most definitely like a fender eliminator kit. And a jet kit as well. It's all in time I suppose. They definitely seem to be an acquired taste type of bike though. However every day that I look at it. It grows more on me. As far as it riding well, that's not the issue. It's a very smooth feeling bike, until you get into those long curving roads. I think I'm going to explore the possibilties within the bike, do my research, and see what I come up with.

Comment

I wouldn't put a whole lot into unless ur goin to keep it.

Comment

personally, I think you should just ride it for this summer and decide if you really want to keep it. so far, it sounds to be like it is an "oh well, I went in debt to buy it, not really sure I like it yet, but I think it is growing on me, so maybe I will just rip off this and add on that to see if I can come up with something I really like", situation......and those kind of situations usually become very expensive.....usually more than the bike is worth.....then you end up like many on here...really stuck with it because you have wayyyy to much invested to be able to sell it.

for the record....been there, done that, and in the end it can leave you with regret.
                              now, I don't drop a dime in anything unless I already love it the way it is.
                              Last edited by Mojoe; 03-20-2012, 11:07 PM.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X