X

Poor man's exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor man's exhaust

How to make your stock muffler on your Katana sound like an aftermarket slip-on. I will give the steps I took to make my exhaust on my 2005 Katana sound great for Free.

Remember: I work on airplanes for a living. So I have access to all the tools I need and also an Air Compressor. This job took around 2 hours. And that was doing alot a experiment with what I had read from another post on how to do this and this method to the quickest and cleanest way to do it.

Tools needed (or that I used) : Saftey googles, gloves, breathing mask, A Rachet, 12mm socket, 12mm wrench, Needle nose pliers, Dremel (with alot of little cut-off wheels), 90 degree highspeed (w/ attaching parts the adapter to use sanding disc), 2" hole saw, rotary file, and some type of spray lube.

First: I removed the muffler from the bike.(Only 3 bolts all 12mm)

Next: I used the Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel attached and cut as low as I could into the smaller pipe at the outlet of the muffler.

Next: You should be low enough to use the 2" holesaw. Now insert the 2" holesaw into the outlet and cutout the metal plate that the smaller pipe to welded to. ( Tryed using a 1 3/4 holesaw it wont clear the weld. With the 2" holesaw I had to grind out the out pipe so it would fit, also spray some oil while cutting makes it easier.)

Next: Once the holesaw cut through metal plate remove the holesaw from the tube and use the dremel to cut the small pipe. I cutted about 1" past the metal plate. Then I was able to remove the plate and pipe with some needle nose pliers.

Next: Use the rotary file on a highspeed to grind the excess metal that 2" inch holesaw do not get. I grinded my then it was flush with the outpipe. (But not being to picky)

Next: I use an adapter for a 1 or 1 1/2 inch course sand disc on my 90 degree high speed and grind the smaller pipe smooth.

Last: I turn the exhaust upside down and blow out the metal shaving and install the pipe into the bike ( which is only 3 bolts)

The bike has a great sound. Real deep at idle. My friend as a muzzy on his 06 Ninja 636 and at idle we sound the same. But in high rpm his is louder. Now I was consider buying a hindle slip-on, but now I am thinking twice. The bike is perfect in sound to me I wanted something that was mildly loud, except when cruising around 70mph you can kinda hear it but you hear more wind noise then anything. I felt no difference in power. The bike as still running great. No other mods were needed.

Video and pics coming very soon. Let me load them up
    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 10-16-2007, 10:12 PM.
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Pics

Edited this post on 10-22-2007 to add some better pics of exhaust and a couple of hundreds miles on it. The last pic is the best far as detail. The first pic is the day of, so it is shiny. The other 3 were tooken today Mon 10-22-2007
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 10-22-2007, 10:01 PM.
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

VIDEOS OF THE POOR MAN'S EXHAUST IN ACTION

This is the bike and stand still ( New tire on order also if u didn't notice its time)

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

This is moving till about I guess 60 mph

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Another Video of playing going I guess around 60 mph

0 to 110 Max Speed (Missed 3rd to 4th) OOPS But still U get the picture

Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 10-16-2007, 10:17 PM.
      sigpic
      Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Nice tone!
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

If I may add a couple things:
          1) If you have access to a long slide hammer you could pull the small pipe out of the second divider plate as it is a pressed in fit. It's not easy but it comes out.
          2) On the newer mufflers, 04+, you have extra restriction of a cat converter and the older OE mufflers have a cool welded together canister appearance.
          Yours sounds and looks great.

Comment

My bike exact date is made in 12/04 does my have a cat? Cuz my small pipe was welded to that metal plate
            sigpic
            Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

I wish i had an airfield to use as a track!
              Definitely a better way to do a FOD check.
              1996 SUZUKI
              KATANA 600F

Comment

Yeah it is great and the airport I work at is a kinda small compare to like hartfield. There probably 30 airplanes at most that fly in a day. So not much room for error as far as stupid people around you. Yeah I love it. And the Lower ramp that two of the video's were shot on doesn't get used hardly at all actually most people that work at the airport don't even know about it. And the Kingair at u seen on one of the video. Was the first time I actually seen someone park an airplane down there. Except on Race weekend. The airport I work is right next to Atlanta Motor Speedway.
                sigpic
                Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Totally cool! I wonder what changing the depth of the inside pipe would do? I've been thinking of a slip-on, but this has got me thinking.

Only issue that I can foresee is rain. That's probably the reason for the bend at the end of the exhaust(s).

Great job!

Comment

Ok, so being the dumb a$$ I can be at times, I wasn't grasping what you did, so...... out came the grinder and my rashed spare pipe went under the knife.
                    Check it http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...tana/?start=40
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

So its confirmed from Astro4x4 that all your doins to taking away a baffle. And Water? Well really Im not a expert. But There is a small hole a the end of the muffler. And that work let alittle water in. And also if it started raining well riding it the water would vaporate. And as far as letting the bike set outside a couple of month in the rain well IDK. But If you drive the bike once a week for maintance purposes anywayz. And actually drive the bike like u should I don't think there would be a problem. But Im not a expert. And in my case my bike stays inside.
                      sigpic
                      Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

It looks like the thumbnail shows an almost flush outside pipe, but the video looks like the original bend was put back on. Optical illusion or am I just not understanding?

I saw that a bee was starting to set-up shop in my exhaust. It only got as far as 1 honeycomb!

Comment

Umm not following. Basically all I did was cut the small pipe back probably a half inch past the metal plate that inclose that baffle. But u can't take out the small pipe because it is welded to the metal plate. So I used a 2" hole saw to cut the metal plate. And use a rotary file to clean up the metal plate and make it flush. IF u have any more problem. Write back and I can take more pic. 2nite and post it.
                          sigpic
                          Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

More or Better Pic of Exhaust

Hope This help. I added some lighting. See in the last pic how I grinded the metal plate down flush with the outer. And it is hard to tell but the smaller pipe goes past the where the metal plate almost a half inch
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic
                            Update Jul 11 2014

Comment

Now I'm even more intrigued. By shortening the inner pipe, isn't the sound basically a result of less baffling and/or increased backpressure due to the inner pipe not directly exiting the baffle? Just thinking aloud, but if this is causing an increase in backpressure, well, I'm not sure that's good for the engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X