Clutch Safety Switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Safety Switch

Guy's,

I have a 1988 1100 that runs and drives pretty good. My only real issue comes from my clutch. Sometimes when I go to start the bike it will not turn over because the clutch safety switch has not disengaged. I then have to monkey around by pulling the clutch in and out really hard a couple of times and then it will fire. I thiink the problem is the clutch not being engaged far enough when I pull the lever.

When the bike is cold and I put it in gear I can physically feel the bike lurch forward. These bikes have a hydrolic clutch on them so i'm stumped as to how I can adjust this to get that clutch better engaged.

If I can't adjust clutch is there a way to disable the safety switch so that I'm not holding everyone up while I try to get my bike started at the gas station.

Thanks,

is there a place where you can put more oil if its hydraulic

or adjust the lever some how

Comment

I'll check the fluid level when I get home tonight. The owners manual say's that the clutch is self adjusting and offers not info on a manual adjustment

Comment

The world's shortest jumper, with blade terminals on each end, will fit into the two wires that go to the clutch. Then, you have bypassed the CSS.
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Are the wires for the CSS right up at the lever on this bike? If I can find them I can jump them. I'm gonna have to get a trouble light out and take a peak underneath. Can't see anything from the top.

Comment

Bikes when cold will lurch.
            The oil in the clutch basket will link up the transmission enough to do that.

The clutch switch on the 1100 is on the bar, just like the "little" kats.

Comment

there is an even easier fix. in fact, it is a very simple fix. under the clutch lever is a contact that activates/de-activates the safety switch.

if you look at this diagram, you will see the part I circled. that part is adjustable. if you just loosen the screws, it can slide a bit from one side to the other. just move it to a position that works. I also suggest that while you are at it, just take it right off and give it a good cleaning while you are at it. more often than not, corrosion will cause the problem you are having. it only takes a few minutes.

I am 99.9% confident that is the problem. just be careful removing it because there is a small spring and plastic part that can be easily lost.

Last edited by Mojoe; 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Right.. Like I said..

I suspect like Mojoe said the pumping is really either because the contacts are dirty or the switch is out of whack.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  Right.. Like I said..

I suspect like Mojoe said the pumping is really either because the contacts are dirty or the switch is out of whack.
                  exactly.
                  I have to clean and adjust mine every once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                    exactly.
                    I have to clean and adjust mine every once in a while.
                    I went for amputation..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                      I went for amputation..
                      so you don't have to pull the clutch to start? I am sure you do anyway, but the bike will also start in gear without pulling the clutch?

Comment

so you don't have to pull the clutch to start? I am sure you do anyway, but the bike will also start in gear without pulling the clutch?
                        Pretty rare that I'm in gear and off the side stand trying to start the bike..
                        And yeah, after 18 years of riding I pull in the clutch. Heck I didn't even know it was jumpered (it was jumpered by the PO) until I had the thing for almost a year.. I took the switch off when I upgraded the clutch lever perch..

Comment

there is an even easier fix. in fact, it is a very simple fix. under the clutch lever is a contact that activates/de-activates the safety switch.

if you look at this diagram, you will see the part I circled. that part is adjustable. if you just loosen the screws, it can slide a bit from one side to the other. just move it to a position that works. I also suggest that while you are at it, just take it right off and give it a good cleaning while you are at it. more often than not, corrosion will cause the problem you are having. it only takes a few minutes.

I am 99.9% confident that is the problem. just be careful removing it because there is a small spring and plastic part that can be easily lost.

Awesome! thanks Mojoe! I will clean and adjust tonight. Just another question. If I open the Clutch Master Cylinder and add some new fluid will I need to bleed the line or should it be ok as long as I don't **** around with the lever until I get it buttoned back up.

Comment

my old GS450E had that switch. those little contacts get dirty mighty quick! i disabled it, as well, after it gummed up a few times
                            1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by vcrmax View Post
                              Awesome! thanks Mojoe! I will clean and adjust tonight. Just another question. If I open the Clutch Master Cylinder and add some new fluid will I need to bleed the line or should it be ok as long as I don't **** around with the lever until I get it buttoned back up.
                              you are welcome.

and no, you will not have to bleed anything to add fluid.

Comment

Working...
                              X