X

PAIR valve air injection system

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAIR valve air injection system

I recall reading some where via internet searching on Kats the the addition to 1995 and up kats of the PAIR valve air injection system actually solved some carburation problems such as flat spots.

Is there any advantage of retrofitting the PAIR valve air injection system to my 1988 GSX 600F?

Additionally, on my 88 there is a welded cross bar behind the steering stem that is welded to the outer top left & right frame tubes. This cross bar on my 88 which was highly cannibalized before I got it - has 4 drilled and tapped equaly spaced holes. What is left on this feature on my 88 are 4 individual 6mm? bolts running thru a spacer sleeve and threaded into the cross bar member. Can any on tell me what these series of drill and thread holes were used for - was it a fairing sub frame mounting or some other removed (cannibalized) assembly that someone removed before I got the bike?

regards

Kling Tut
    Do what cha wanta and do what cha will, just don't mess up your neighbor's thrill.
    And when your ride is over kindly leave a little tip, to help the next poor bast__d on their one way trip.

The answer to all is NO.

If you find that information again, please link it here so we can be sure not to believe anything else that was said by the same source.
    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

The PAIR system has nothing to do with effecting how the bike runs except to add in air/vacuum leaks to cause issues and exhaust noise. The purpose of the PAIR system is to capture excessive fuel fuems from the open air carbed system and force it into the exhaust when the bike is running. By doing so, the excess fumes will burn in the hot exhaust and less is released into the atmosphere.

Removing the entire system and blocking off the proper ports will not effect how the bike runs at all.

As for the cross brace, are you talking about the brace that the coils mount too?

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

[QUOTE=Kreylyn;2173504]The PAIR system has nothing to do with effecting how the bike runs except to add in air/vacuum leaks to cause issues and exhaust noise. The purpose of the PAIR system is to capture excessive fuel fuems from the open air carbed system and force it into the exhaust when the bike is running.[QUOTE=Kreylyn;2173504

I don't think that is how it works. CA spec bikes have pair and gas vapor recovery. Vapors from the carbs are routed through a tube in the carb throat to hoses that carry them to a little carbon tank bolted to the side of the frame. More hoses carry these vapors back into the gas tank.
        The pair system uses a reed like gizmo that sends air into the exhaust ports. The extra air helps oxidize particulates, reduces some pollutant (I forget). Pair won't won't improve carbueration one bit, but if you put a 4-1 exhaust with a jet kit on, it'll give the false impression that you have lean carbueration (if when you don't) farting and popping on deacceleration and make things richer will make the bike run too rich, while not helping the popping.
        Even if you wanted to be green and add it, it would be tough. Assuming you are Al Gore's love child and want to make your kat 600 greener, I don't think the stock head has the holes drilled for adding pair. So, you'd have to remove the head, drill, machine whatever, then pay the money for used pair stuff and geez, this is just awful! Like I say, seek out failure and you will find it!

Comment

I got a box full of Pair parts that I removed from my B12
          And yes , it reduced decel poping after exhaust was added when I removed the pair system
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Pair system questions and coil mounting

Thanks to everyone for the responses - it is good to learn more details about the PAIR system and especially why it's a bad idea to retrofit.

Additionally, thanks for the picture of the coil mounting / cross member it exactly answers my question. My bike has the coils but they were dismounted and left hanging - now I now how I need to remount them.

best regards

kling tut
            Do what cha wanta and do what cha will, just don't mess up your neighbor's thrill.
            And when your ride is over kindly leave a little tip, to help the next poor bast__d on their one way trip.

Comment

Working...
            X