X

CMRA Wrap-Up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMRA Wrap-Up

I had the last two rounds of the CMRA this weekend - it was cold (just barely over freezing), and Sunday was cold and wet.

I, thankfully, borrowed some tire-warmers from a friend who opted out of racing in those conditions.

Saturday (round 5)

I got my very first real tank-slapper next to two concrete walls... that was fun, in a omg-imma-crap-my-pants sort of way. Thankfully it was during practice, and there was no one right on my butt or trying to pass me.

I went out on practice laps, and came back to the pits only to find that the zip-tie that help my brake lines to my forks had snapped, and as such, the lines got caught in the tires and rubbed the stainless steel braids down to the plastic line. Skeeeetchy! Got those duct-taped up, and re-zip-tied, and went out for my first race.
    There was something wrong with the electrical system, as in mid-corner, the power shut off for 1-2 seconds, then would come back on. It happened twice in the same corner. The first time, it hucked my leg and arm off the bike, and I smashed my ribs into my tank (I have a pretty bruise), but I managed to keep her up. The next lap, same corner, it shut off again... I felt it starting to go for the flick, but I kept on her this time. Then, at the end of the straight, it happened again.
    It wasn't my most graceful of races, that's for sure!

So, at the end of the race, the crew ripped off some fairings to take a look for shorts, but couldn't find anything. Another racer said that the power commander had been giving him and his teammate some issues, so we yanked it (only to find that the bottom of the case was slightly melted... awesome). So, hoping that was the issue, I went out for my next race.

Again, it cut out on me, mid-corner. So, apparently, the power commander wasn't the issue.
    I did the race without much further incident.

Again, the crew pulled the bike apart in search of other problems, cut the power to the bank-angle-sensor, and we left it there until Sunday morning.

Sunday, it rained. For anyone who doesn't know, Race City is not the best laid out track. There are tonnes of drainage issues. There were lakes all over the place. On the inside of corners 2 and 3, across the entrance and exit of the chicane, on the exit of the carousel, across the chute, and all down along the concrete wall of the front straight (right where you have to ride to avoid the VHT... which i forgot on my first lap of my first race =/ )

So, was geared up in my rain gear all ready to take the bike out for rain practice after the bike was doused in di-electric grease and put back together, only to find out that I had no brakes.
    The line had torn when the wires were being re-routed. So, with an hour to race-time, one of the guys had to run to my pit-mate's house to get a spare set of lines, and another crew member had to run around (on a Sunday) to find some DOT4 brake fluid.
    Got the new lines and fluid, and the lines installed and bled 5 minutes before my first race of the day (talk about stress!).

Apparently, I don't particularly like racing in the rain. And by racing, I mean riding very slowly. Hydroplaning next to a concrete wall does not feel very good, nor does having your rear tire slide out (even by the slightest bit) through a corner.
    So, I did the races, slowly, and packed up and went home.

Wasn't a climactic finish to a season.

I pulled two 6th places and two 3rds, which put me at an overall finish of 4th place in Novice by way of points.

I really want to thank everyone here for their support and encouragement. Hope you'll stay tuned for the 2011 season!

=)
    Last edited by kat_kitten; 09-20-2010, 11:43 AM.
    the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
    # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
    [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

-Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well done! It has been great fun reading your reports, watching you through your writings the excitment you have experienced this year. Now over the next several months you will re-ride that bike in your mind a thousand times on that track. Keep us all posted when you get started next season.
      Jim.

Comment

Great job kk...

Congrats on finishing your season...

Watch out Elena Myers!!!

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

My racer friend tells me putting a steering damper on the bike helps a lot in rain races and wet practices

Comment

i already have a steering damper... in order to race here, you pretty much have to have one.
            i still got a gnary tank slapper (my very first one!) this past weekend.

here's a pic of me going down the straight, next to a concrete wall, hydroplaning a bit

and coming out of one of the most dangerous corners through a big puddle

the bike's never been cleaner though... so... there's a bonus!
            the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
            # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
            [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Holy Chit! Thats beyond wet conditions, you needed pontoons!

Comment

4th is a good finish for your first year racing. Good job.

We all wish we could have done better and rethink everthing we did that we know we could have done better. Think about those things in the off season and come back next year.

I enjoyed following your progress KK and look forward to reading about it next year.

BTW - I got fourth in my class and it's my first racing season too.

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

Congrats on your finish KK! And those are some awesome shots of you....definitely braver than me...I don't even like riding to the store in the rain lol.
                  02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                  90 GSXR 750/1216
                  96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                  87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                  sigpic

Comment

Weather warriors…

Bad, cold weather at the end of the season reveals who the real warriors are. Good for you, getting out there and fightin'!
                    But for me, it just felt like I was a die hard fool. :bunny2
                    However, we know it's a long wait through winter before we can race again, so we take what ever kind of weather we're given.

Full discloser: I've been out of racing for years, but I'm preparing for riding track days next year.
                    Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X