No announcement yet.
X

Time capsule Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your 01 Kat run properly? brake fluids look decent? fork seals intact? leak any fluids?
    15 y-o tires are not totally useless, I'd spend few hours in an empty parking lot just to learn the limits of those tires. As long as you ride well within those limits, those tires can still get you through a few rides.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I wound up replacing the tires today and had the bike looked over at the shop. $400.00 is money well spent for the peice of mind for this inexperienced rider.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie View Post
        $400.00 is money well spent for the peice of mind for this inexperienced rider.
        Ahmen

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Well, IMO the smart thing to do is to spend time in an empty parking lot to learn the limits of the tires, new or old.

I did with mine, that's just under 20 min.:

Comment

Originally posted by "K" View Post
            Well, IMO the smart thing to do is to spend time in an empty parking lot to learn the limits of the tires, new or old.

I did with mine, that's just under 20 min.:
            Those stock tires? Mine has 4500 miles with stockies lol. I'm going to run them until either hurricane season or winter.
            Love your bike, love the color too. I always loved those red/reddish/gray bottom'd bikes. Good find!

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Originally posted by "K" View Post
              Anyone know what kind of seat that is? Doesn't look like OEM seat, definately not a Corbin...
              I think that it is one of the after market gel seats that Suzuki made for the Katana. They are supposed to be really comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
                I think that it is one of the after market gel seats that Suzuki made for the Katana. They are supposed to be really comfortable.
                After my 120 mile one-way commute this morning, I conquer; that seat is pretty sweet.

Originally posted by Lykkan View Post
                Those stock tires? Mine has 4500 miles with stockies lol. I'm going to run them until either hurricane season or winter.
                Love your bike, love the color too. I always loved those red/reddish/gray bottom'd bikes. Good find!
                Not sure if tires are stock, but I checked the production date stamp on the sidewall, front 1408, rear 0608, I guess PO changed the tires back in 2008 or 2009. No dry rot, no cracks, after few laps around the empty office complex near my house, I'd scrubbed the tires in pretty good and feel confident about them.
                I personally have no quame about old tires, as long as I know to ride within the limits, they are just as good as any to get me from point A to point B. I try to avoid riding in the rain anyway.
                Last edited by "K"; 05-12-2014, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Put over 1k miles on the time capsule in the month of May, never thought I would appreciate a 750cc for its highway performance.. but really, this thing is super smooth cruising at 85-95 mph... if I change out the sprockets for higher gear ratio, maybe it will smooth out even more and get better fuel econ.

With 45 lb. of luggage on the bike, I get about 160-165 mile before I have to switch to reserve and take about 3.9 gal. to fill.

I learn that matt finish helmet seems to get more air resistance at highway speed.. my head seems to be more effected by wind beffering when passing 18-wheelers at speed.

Comment

Beautiful bike

Comment

Beautiful seat!
                      2001 GSX600F Katana

Comment

This past winter I worked on this project: 1978 Honda GL1000, barn find.

I turned it into this bagger, sold for nearly $3k, local broker picked it up last week and getting it shipped to Norway:

Yesterday I picked up an early birthday present for under $1k.

83 GL650 Interstate, +13k mi., runs decent, cosmetically 60-70%, PO took a nice tumble that had some nice scratches on the sidecases and topbox, dent on exhaust headers and the swingarm; but rides nice, tracks straight, no wiggle at 70+ mph when I let go of the handlebars.
                        Tires, forkseals, brakes all in decent shape, there may be a cafe/bobber in my near future.

Comment

Rode my Katana from Brooklyn, NY back to Valley Forge, PA yesterday evening.
                          135 miles in near freezing temperature, the bike had sat out doors for the last 3 weeks, but still started on first try.
                          Performed flawlessly all along the way, 80-90 mph most of the way... heated jacket liner kept me warm enough to operate the bike.
                          It was my first first ride since having the flu last couple of weeks.

Last edited by "K"; 12-20-2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Tentatively struck a Craigslist deal on a 2003 CBR1100XX, 16k mi. completely stock, never been down, looks like it needs rear tire, maybe chain/sprockets; $27xx.

Plan to pickup nxt wknd.

Comment

You are a busy, busy man "K"
                              Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
                              ~Author Unknown

Comment

Hope you paid already and go the title! Deal like that will disappear. You in land of lakes FL? I'm in Sarasota

Comment

Working...
                                X