No announcement yet.
X

bike only stays running at 1/4 choke after warm up, idle is all over the place

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike only stays running at 1/4 choke after warm up, idle is all over the place

Hey guys, i'm new on this forum, i've been a mechanic for 6 years working on cars, this is a whole different game to me.

i just picked up my first bike, 98 gsx600f. for 300 bucks not running. after cleaning the cars and replacing oil i fired her up. started first couple trys, i was slowly backing off on the choke and the bike only stays on at 1/4 choke and even then the idel is all over the place. i dont have much experiance with carbs at all though.

anyone have any ideas why its doing this? i'm open to suggestions and would greatly appreciate help. i'll have picture of the bike up soon. thanks

Dismantle carbs, completely clean PAYING SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE PILOT CIRCUIT.

How did you clean them the first time? Just spraying carb cleaner at them doesnt work, need a 24 hour soak in soaking like Berrymans Chem Dip.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yeah i'm going to get new plugs today and i'm working on getting the carbs apart. also do you know where i can get the airfilter that uses a sigle cone per carb? i've seen them but dont know where to find good bike parts

Comment

Originally posted by katFighter003 View Post
        yeah i'm going to get new plugs today and i'm working on getting the carbs apart. also do you know where i can get the airfilter that uses a sigle cone per carb? i've seen them but dont know where to find good bike parts
        Don't get air filters like this. Just trust me and everyone else who says the same thing. Unless you want to get a Stage 3 jet kit and spend hours tuning your bike, don't get them. The CV carbs on the Kat detest the pod filters.

Stick with the stock air filter. Your bike will run just fine that way. The best mod you can do to your bike, hands down, is a Stage 1 Jet kit.

Comment

oh really? hmm, are the carbs a pain to tune on these? dont forget i'm a noob at bikes but im very mechanically inclined to do this kinda stuff

Comment

Originally posted by katFighter003 View Post
            oh really? hmm, are the carbs a pain to tune on these? dont forget i'm a noob at bikes but im very mechanically inclined to do this kinda stuff
            Carbs are a pain to tune with anything other than a stock air filter, yes. CV carbs are not like carbs on a car or truck. They rely on air pressure to move the slides up and down. You start changing the air flow into the carbs, you drastically change the way the slides react to opening the throttle.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the HP returns vs time invested is not worth it.

Stage 1 jet kit, stock air filter, aftermarket full exhaust or slip on is the way to go. Oh, and a timing advancer if you don't already have one.

Let me put it to you this way. I've been turning wrenches for 17 years now, and I won't put pod filters on my Kat. P.I.T.A.

Comment

Working...
            X