X

Installing new grips with hairspray

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new grips with hairspray

Ive read a few places that you can use hairspray to install your new grips. Im wondering if later down the road you've experienced slipping or any negative side effects from using hairspray (for those who have used it).
    Air Force

audentes fortuna juvat

Worked like a charm for me. No problems at all.
    I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

+1 spud
      -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

the idea is it goes on slippy but dries up later and is not so slippy. i've never had issues slipping grips on without any lube, but i have the magic touch
        1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

I've used this for years on my bmx bikes, works great. I never had a problem, and will be using it shortly when my new grips arive.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Its much appreciated. Now i can go into my new mod without any worries...well almost no worries :mrgreen:
            Air Force

audentes fortuna juvat

Comment

Not sure if you're referring to the How To I made a while ago, but I have not had any problems with using hairspray - I actually only used it on the non-throttle side since the throttle sheath is notched.

In theory, a problem could arise if you ride in the rain (or otherwise get water under the grip) since it would re-liquify the hairspray and cause it to slip. However, I've ridden in the raid a few times and water never got in there, so...
              "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K View Post
                Not sure if you're referring to the How To I made a while ago, but I have not had any problems with using hairspray - I actually only used it on the non-throttle side since the throttle sheath is notched.

In theory, a problem could arise if you ride in the rain (or otherwise get water under the grip) since it would re-liquify the hairspray and cause it to slip. However, I've ridden in the raid a few times and water never got in there, so...
                Your how to was where i originally got the idea (im going to use it this weekend btw). Thanks for the heads up about the rain. Just to clarify, you didnt use hairspray on the throttle side, and youve never had any problems with it?
                Air Force

audentes fortuna juvat

Comment

Originally posted by zackeone View Post
                  Your how to was where i originally got the idea (im going to use it this weekend btw). Thanks for the heads up about the rain. Just to clarify, you didnt use hairspray on the throttle side, and youve never had any problems with it?
                  I used hairspary on both grips on my bike. Never slipped at all. I rode in rain and fog and whateva. Never a problem. Just do it. Its a nice mod
                  sigpic
                  Update Jul 11 2014
                  Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Originally posted by zackeone View Post
                    Just to clarify, you didn't use hairspray on the throttle side, and you've never had any problems with it?
                    On the non-throttle side, I used hairspray so that it wouldn't spin, and so far everything is ok

On the throttle side, I did not use hairspray because there was no adhesive of any sort when I took the original grip off - so I left it the same. So far, I have not had any problems - except 1 very minor (really minor) annoyance: Over the course of riding (months), the grip tends to slide ever-so-slightly down towards the bar end (probably due to the engine vibrations). This was not a problem on the stock grip because it had extra rubber material that went over the large circular ridge next to the control pod, preventing the grip from shifting left/right (the new grips just butt up against the ridge).

As I said, this is very minor - but if you're hardcore, I think they make special grip glue that will not liquify in water that's safe to use on the throttle sheath.
                    Last edited by Teh_K; 04-28-2008, 08:06 PM.
                    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K View Post
                      On the non-throttle side, I used hairspray so that it wouldn't spin, and so far everything is ok

On the throttle side, I did not use hairspray because there was no adhesive of any sort when I took the original grip off - so I left it the same. So far, I have not had any problems - except 1 very minor (really minor) annoyance: Over the course of riding (months), the grip tends to slide ever-so-slightly down towards the bar end (probably due to the engine vibrations). This was not a problem on the stock grip because it had extra rubber material that went over the large circular ridge next to the control pod, preventing the grip from shifting left/right (the new grips just butt up against the ridge).

As I said, this is very minor - but if you're hardcore, I think they make special grip glue that will not liquify in water that's safe to use on the throttle sheath.
                      Use grip glue on throttle side.
                      "The internet has the best and the worst..."

Comment

I have used the hair spray, works just fine. For some reason have gone to super weather strip adhesive. You can get it at checker or auto zone and places of the like. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Ill have to check that out.
                          Air Force

audentes fortuna juvat

Comment

Aqua Net hair spray, but I safety wire the grips anyway. I spent to many years riding non motorized bikes and there is nothing more frustrating than a grip that throttles. Never had a grip slip on a bicycle or a motorcycle since I started using hairspray and safety wire.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I used belt dressing spray. Because I had it hanging around. Works about the same way. Slippery then drys into a tacky adhesive.

Comment

Working...
                              X