X
X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From what I gather, the advancer doesn't really add power so much as it smooths out the powerband and improves the overall rideability.
    FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

Comment

• Ok sorry don't have time to read all this right now so i figured this'd be easier. I got an 05 kat 600. Where the hell would someone find a b12? They don't exactly have bike junkyards round here at least. Any help?

Comment

• E-bay , local paper , message boards with for sale sections , cycle trader ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• Originally posted by redkat06
          Ok sorry don't have time to read all this right now so i figured this'd be easier. I got an 05 kat 600. Where the hell would someone find a b12? They don't exactly have bike junkyards round here at least. Any help?
          I just bought one off ebay a couploe days ago. They;re out there just expect to pay what they're really worth. Don't think you'll find a low milage B-12 or 1127 for $300-500. Generally, bare 1100-1200 motors go for $800-1000 on ebay...sold as car kits with the majority of components to make them run exxpect to pay between $900-1500.

Comment

• damn... I just found a perfectly good old 1989 Kat 750-pre (whole bike) for only $400 bucks. Potential donor bike here for my 600!!! Only bad part - the bike has 70,000+ km's on it.. so the engine is likely tired...

-Grimmy
            Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

• Originally posted by Grimmy
              damn... I just found a perfectly good old Kat 750-pre (whole bike) for only $400 bucks. Potential donor bike here for my 600!!!

-Grimmy
              You take the engine. And i'll take the rest. serious.

as long as the frame isn't junk

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                Originally posted by Grimmy
                damn... I just found a perfectly good old Kat 750-pre (whole bike) for only $400 bucks. Potential donor bike here for my 600!!!

-Grimmy

The bike looks good - its just the KM's are fairly high - I want to swap out my 600 engine as it is now blowing alot of smoke, and burning alot of oil.

I really do not want to swap in another failing engine... but if I do, I would want the swingarm, sprockets, chain and exhaust (4-1) as well.... everything else would be up for grabs.

-Grimmy

Comment

• Originally posted by Grimmy
                  Originally posted by Dan Dubeau

-Grimmy

The bike looks good - its just the KM's are fairly high - I want to swap out my 600 engine as it is now blowing alot of smoke, and burning alot of oil.

I really do not want to swap in another failing engine... but if I do, I would want the swingarm, sprockets, chain and exhaust (4-1) as well.... everything else would be up for grabs.

-Grimmy
                  I'll let you know. It's not exactly what I want (rolling 98+600 sans engine) but it would definatly be in my price range.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                    Originally posted by Dan Dubeau

-Grimmy

-Grimmy
                    I'll let you know. It's not exactly what I want (rolling 98+600 sans engine) but it would definatly be in my price range.
                    I called the shop today - the bike was sold to them a month ago from a guy who was lookin to upgrade - he likely bought a fixer upper for next season.

The price of $400.00 is apparently incorrectly posted - and the bike will be sold certified, which indicates a strong engine and tranny.... but leaves it up in the air as to how much they want for the bike. I was asked to call back mid next week.

-Grimmy

Comment

• Well I'm doing the gsxr 1100 upgrade in a 93 750 over the next 2 months. From what I've read I need the 1100 oil cooler, exhaust and alternator. How about the katana cdi and clutch system? Do I need the 1100 cdi and clutch lever/resevior and slave assembly? Will the katana throttle cable hook up? Will the katana coils suffice? What about the fuel system, does anyone know if the petcock and fuel line on the katana is the same dia. as the gixxer? I'm looking to gather up all the stuff I need to do the install before I start. Any other insight to the mod would be helpful...

Comment

• I used everything from the B1200 except for the cooler the B12 cooler is way too little for the Kat. (will be the difference between a naked and a full-fairing bike I guess)

Another poi, I found the swingarm and frame too weak to handle the torque the new engine delivers (128Nm at 6800 rpm net), so I allready inforced the frame, but I'm still looking for companies making custom-swingarms.
                        I want a strong swingarm able to handle this kind of torque without cutting the subframe...
                        If anybody knows such companies, please let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by kwebbel
                          I used everything from the B1200 except for the cooler the B12 cooler is way too little for the Kat. (will be the difference between a naked and a full-fairing bike I guess)

Another poi, I found the swingarm and frame too weak to handle the torque the new engine delivers (128Nm at 6800 rpm net), so I allready inforced the frame, but I'm still looking for companies making custom-swingarms.
                          I want a strong swingarm able to handle this kind of torque without cutting the subframe...
                          If anybody knows such companies, please let me know.
                          If running a lerger rear rim/tire isn't a concern you could just have your stock arm braced.

Comment

• I'm running a 170/60 at this moment and I don't think a 180/55 will contribute in a significant way to more grip or even better looks, the bracing is an option I'm considering, but a lightweight strong swingarm would be my number-one. (combined with the black Marchesini magnesium rims I bought )

Comment

• Another poi, I found the swingarm and frame too weak to handle the torque the new engine delivers (128Nm at 6800 rpm net)
                              I'm willing to bet that swing arm will handle the power. I have several drag racing buddies that run gsxr 600 flat style arms and there good to 200+ hp (not that it's the same but shows how much more stock arms can take). The katana arm is a heavy unit... Have you had problems with it?

Comment

• At first I've got to say, the current swingarm and frame are in mint shape, no (hair-)cracks, tears, dents, holes or whatsoever.
                                While railing hard I could feel the frame "react" its just not stiff enough, while testing the bike with the new engine on the Dyno, I could even clearly see the frame bending when I hit the throttle...
                                The swingarm is a heavy unit, but it's made of (cheap) steel which tends to be more flexible than alloy.
                                I believe anybody telling me the frame and swingarm are strong enough, but I experience something different and I don't like it.
                                Btw dragracing gives tremendous straight-on loads on the swingarm but that's not the same as the lower but uneven loads generated while railing I think and I'm sure the Gixxer swing is much stronger than the Kat-swing.

Comment

Working...
                                X