Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

$500 Project Kat - help save save a good bike from junkpile!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $500 Project Kat - help save save a good bike from junkpile!

Hey all,

I purchased a 93 Katana 600. It was too good of a deal to pass up, and since I like wrenching as much as riding, I figured I would enjoy another project. She has sat for 4 years. When I picked her up she looked pretty neglected. 4 years of garage dust had accumulated on her, the battery was completely dead, and the fairings were off and cracked here and there. Here she is sitting in the PO's garage when I picked her up:

The first thing I did when I got her home was tear into the carbs and check the plugs. The plugs were Champion RA6HC, and were brand new., looked as if they had never been fired. I am planning to replace them with some NGK's. [EDIT: this is where I drained the tank and cleaned it with denatured alcohol]
    The carbs were the worst looking carbs I have ever seen in my life. After 4 hours of cleaning, yes-4 hours, I got her back together and with the help of my 99 yzf, some jumper cables, and my cousin on home from leave from the air force in Iraq. She would idle fairly well, but really bogged over 4K. There seems to be some valve chatter also. Here is me and my cousin tinkering with her:

I pulled the carbs apart again, and really spent some more time making sure they were as clean as I could get em. I also purchased some new o-rings for the floats and put everything back together. My camera isnt the best for close ups, but I did the best I could.

On my 99 YZF 600R, the AFR screws are capped from the factory, and they have to be drilled out to adjust. Is this the same on the pre tuna's? If so then mine were drilled out. Either way they are acessable. I havent checked how many turns out they are right now:

You can see just how bad the bowls are varished here. This is after soaking and cleaning.

Here are the jets and needles. Starting on the left are the idle jets. They were SUPER bad. I still dont think they are 100%. One was so bad we had to pound a pin thru the hole as a last resort. They just wouldnt come clean, especially that one. They are capped by those black rubber plugs under them. The black rubber plugs do not seat all that well, and will easily fall out. I can only assume this is part of the problem? The needles are slightly shiney as I took some 400 grit sandpaper and lightly scuffed them to get the solidified varish off. You can see the varish on the main jets, and its hard to tell, but where the needle should seat isnt very smooth on any of them. I dont know what else to do beside replace them, along with the needles, idle jets, and needle valves.

After all this I put her back together and jump started her again. At first she idled great, and would rev to redline with no issue, except a puff of blueish-black smoke if I snapped the throttle(valves? Rings?). After a few mins, she would not idle at all without help from the throttle. Then she started bogging at 4K and wouldnt go past it. I pulled her back into the garage and pulled the plugs. They are very, very carbon fouled. I then looked down into the cylinders with a flashlight, and I can see a LOT of carbon buildup on the pistons, which I couldnt get a decent pic of

My current plan of action is to get some new mains and needles, as well as a carb rebuild kit unless you all think otherwise?
    99 YZF600R with 03 R6 fairing, headlights & mirrors, Sportech Blue Chrome Windscreen, D&D can,
    OES Frame sliders, MotoTeck smoked front turns, CBR 954rr Smoked Integrated Tail
    and 14T Front/49T Rear w/ DID X Ring Chain

1993 Zuki Katana 600 $500 project bike

Those rubber plugs over the pilot jets .... did they fall right out , or were they still snug ? If they fell right out , ptu those on your shopping list .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

fall right out
      99 YZF600R with 03 R6 fairing, headlights & mirrors, Sportech Blue Chrome Windscreen, D&D can,
      OES Frame sliders, MotoTeck smoked front turns, CBR 954rr Smoked Integrated Tail

Comment

Yeah you should have had yo drill out the FA cap. Someone beat you to it..

Go Gophers!

Comment

Great Project! Keep us updated on how it turns out.
          It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Did you soak the carb bodies, jets, needles etc in a can or were you spraying and scrubbing? With 4 years of sitting up, I would say a GOOD soak would have been (and probably still is) in order.

Also....You didn't say, but did you drain the tank and go with fresh gas?
            -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
            -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

i didnt soak the carb bodies. Do you mean to litterally submerge them in carb cleaner? that would kinda take a lot of carb cleaner.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it, but I did clean the tank too. Drained it, shished around som denatured alcohol, drained again, and refilled.

Comment

There are quite a few channels and passages in the carb body you won't get clean without soaking after sitting up a long time.

You may also have a bad petcock diaphragm dumping raw fuel into the cylinders even on RUN. Be sure to check that also.

This 1 Gallon jug of carb/parts cleaerner is about $12 at my FLAPS....

-2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch
                  Great Project! Keep us updated on how it turns out.
                  yup
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalFusion
                    fall right out
                    If they ain't tight , they gotta go .
                    And boiling the carbs ain't bad . Tear them down to just the bodies , dump them in water , and make some soup !
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

im going to look for that gallon of parts cleaner! I hope the tiny parts stores in this one horse town have something like that! I if cant find anything, then Ill try the boiling method.

Comment

carbs on same bike

ty for leaving this up so long having same issue with my bike

Comment

I never saw that in the gallon.. wow..

Comment

yeah, i havent found it anywhere around here.

Comment

All my parts stores have it......

strange
                              -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Comment

Working...
                              X