spring tune up.. I'm a NEWB! w/pics!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^+1

Comment

Quick question what order do you sync the carbs? I was searching but didn't find what i was looking for.
      94' gsx600f

Comment

Sync 3&4 to each other, 1&2 to each other and then sync the two pairs to each other.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          Sync 3&4 to each other, 1&2 to each other and then sync the two pairs to each other.
          thank ya!
          94' gsx600f

Comment

well ladies and gentlemen i now have the bike back in my possession and it runs like a dream!! well... to me it does, i wouldn't know much better really.

Keep in mind that TODAY is the first time i've ever ridden an engine powered 2 wheeled vehicle.

Here's the work that was done:
            Carbs cleaned
            Sync'd
            Valves adjusted
            some orings replaced

It was quite an interesting day, we went to pick up the bike but only had enough ratchet straps to hold two bikes (we already had one bike in the back of the truck and one on the trailer). We ended up driving what felt like 100kms - probably more like 1 or 2. I was in the back of the trailer holding onto the bike as it was tied to the trailer with a pretty strong looking dog leash and some yellow nylon rope. Probably the scariest/most unintelligent thing i've done.

we stopped at a fire hall, took the bike off the back and they went to look for more straps. So it's just me, with my newly running bike in a wide open parking lot. I ask my buddy how to start it so i can sit there and rev it like a d-bag until he gets back. He told me to hop on it, and take it for a zip around the parking lot while they were gone. They left, i started the bike up and revved it a bit, tried to make it look like i was checking for problems. then i shut it off and went and sat down on the curb. I just stared it for about 15 minutes. I gathered the courage and got on it. at first i lightly feathered the clutch until i felt it grab then stopped. I did that a few more times until i felt comfortable letting it all the way out. i did about 10 laps turning to the right, all in first gear. Then i did about 10 laps turning to the left, definitely more dominant to my right side. Keep in mind the bike had no fairings, no seat and the gas tank wasn't bolted down. I was completely content with ripping around a parking lot in 1st gear. They came back and my buddy said my grin was so big my eyes were just slits.

I'll post up a video tomorrow of the idle and exhaust.
            -Brandon

Comment

Congrats on getting her running.
              Kyle

Comment

Congrats man. welcome to the wonderful world riding
                2005 Gsx600f- My baby
                1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
                Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
                  well ladies and gentlemen i now have the bike back in my possession and it runs like a dream!! well... to me it does, i wouldn't know much better really.
                  Glad to hear you got her back.
                  I dont want to be the gear nazi but you might want to look
                  into getting something to protect yourself.

A little tip leave the fairings off for a bit well you're getting the
                  feel for her it just might save you some trouble.

Comment

The gf didn't get a video but here's some pics!!! I was much more prepared (helmet, jacket, gloves) for this run than i was in the gravel parking lot yesterday with just a sweater and hat.

I would like to find a nice pair of boots.

i was going to leave the fairings off but my buddy made a good point, if you think you're going to drop it, you will drop it. So i am going with the confidence that I wont drop it.

...we'll see. haha
                    Last edited by badwithcomputer; 04-07-2012, 05:02 PM.
                    -Brandon

Comment

Just as a note, your adventure was not a waste of time at all. I learned a lot of details in this thread that were not clear from reading Carbs 102, and your pictures gave me an idea of what to look forward to in the next week. I think this thread by itself gave me the confidence to full clean/sync my carbs in the two weeks before I can afford tires (current ones showing cord).

Ride safe man.
                      sigpic
                      "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
                      "Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite

Comment

Thanks for the comment! once you get into the first carb, you'll get the feeling of "ok that wasn't soo bad"

unfortunately i didn't get to see the adventure to the end to witness the fruits of my labour but im sure down the road i will have to do it.

On a side note, a buddy of mine was out to my place that has an 1100gsxr and couldn't get it running. so we were sitting around and i told him to take mine for a ride and really stretch her legs to make sure it wasn't running weird anywhere in the rpms. I am too inexperienced/scared to really crank on it and take it over 4k rpm.

he said the bad news is its not as fast as an 1100. but the good news is it will do 200km/h and your brakes work well.

only 11 more days until i can hit the streets with the Motorcycle safety course under my belt!!.

oh and that Yoshimura pipe sounds pretty damn cool.
                        -Brandon

Comment

Bad news tonight.

I ended up pushing the bike home

Luckily I was only about 2kms from home and it was all flat. I went out for a little session to practice my slow speed turns and clutching in the high school parking lot.

I'll back up a bit. last week when i was out doing the same thing i came home and the bike started to bog coming into the drive way when i downshifted into first then gave it a little throttle. I really thought nothing of it as the gas needle was in the red and figured it was because i hadn't switched to reserve.

My buddy as i mentioned earlier, had it out yesterday and it ran like a top!.

Back to today. I pushed the bike out of the garage and noticed a slight clicking noise (something new) i figured it was nothing serious. Started the bike and it gave me a bit of trouble. I didn't normally have to use the choke long before the rpms started to climb into the 4 range and i would turn the choke off.

this time i could barely keep it running with the choke open. I finally got it idling at around 1200 on its own and set off for the school. the bike ran great, no hesitation - it felt like it did the first time i rode it. Gear changes around 4k, downshifting into 1st and acceleration all good.

got to the school did a bunch of corners, slow speed figure 8's that kind of stuff. tried to get a good feeling for leaning the bike in 2nd gear. I stopped a few times to practice my clutch work and the bike didn't seem to idle as smooth, i figured it was because it needed to be opened up a bit.

As i was leaving the parking lot i cranked it a bit up to 4k and it fell on its face and stalled out on me. I tried getting it going on my own but couldn't.

I called my buddy and he had me try and get it going a few different ways. We got it fired up once and I tried to pull away but i had the throttle literally twisted wide open and it still fell on its face before i could get to 2nd gear.

I couldn't get it started after that. Eventually the battery got to weak to crank the engine.

Normally I'd bug him but he's in the middle of moving and has enough to think about on his plate at the moment.

Any suggestions? we did make some adjustments to the knob that is down by your left knee.

also when i got it back in the garage and on the center stand i started turning the wheel and the clicking sounds like its coming from a link in the chain.
                          Last edited by badwithcomputer; 04-16-2012, 07:38 PM.
                          -Brandon

Comment

Sounds like your carbs are still dirty. Thats the only explanation for "twisted WOT and got nothing" unless your petcock isnt allowing fuel to flow.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Post Kats have a fuel filter....change it. I bet when you hit reserve a whole bunch of nastiness got sucked into the filter.

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
                                Bad news tonight.

I ended up pushing the bike home
                                Not good! I finally came to my senses tonight and rode mine down to a local bike shop to get him to clean the carbs and give it a once over. Seemed to work pretty good on the trip down, but cyl 4 had a cold pipe after a 25 minute trip and a near mishap with a beaver!

We'll both be back on the roads soon man!

Comment

Working...
                                X