Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

LED Turn Signal Puzzle -- (no, not fast blinking)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Turn Signal Puzzle -- (no, not fast blinking)

So I bought and installed some Motrax Allycators LED turnsignals. Very nice units, CNC machined, black....very nice. I wired them in and connected the proper relay to eliminate the fast blink.

Here's the puzzle:

The left signal pod only lights 9 of the 18 LEDs. Hmm...low voltage? Cranked the bike and choked it out so it was running at 4000k, 9 of the 18 lit. Hmm...switched the connectors so that right was left and left was right, same phenomenon on the right signal, 9/18. Wiring? Both wired the same way. Not sure why it's happening or how to fix it.

Ideas?

bad units?

Comment

Right hand unit acts in the same way when wires are swapped and both work properly if coupled with the right-hand signal circuit. Can't be bad units -- or can it? I am stumped.

Comment

weak flasher unit go buy a new one

Comment

Might have a proper ground and actually have your ground touching a hot wire which will cause half the lED to light up

Comment

Originally posted by Najus
            Might have a proper ground and actually have your ground touching a hot wire which will cause half the lED to light up
            If so, it would be in the factory wiring and only on the left-side circuit. I am home now and have a multi-meter. I will see if I can solve it. I did buy an electronic flasher relay just in case.

Comment

Double check your wiring. Are using splices or just electrical tape. Its actually a Diode that regulates the blinking not a relay. And you need to have one for each side wired in series. If you only have one diode then thats probably your problem. Let me know how it turns out.
              Need to sup up my KAT. I got the itch.

Comment

Using crimp connectors. Wiring is sound on my part. The "relay" I speak of is the electronic flasher I installed. It solves the fast-blinking problem the stock flasher.

The end result was I traced down a crease in the right hand signal circuit and fixed that. All is well. LEDs are very voltage sensitive, apparently.

Comment

Working...
                X