No announcement yet.
X

My Project GSXR PIC HEAVY!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not saying it won't work, just that its a stupid idea when fairings for the bike are still available and he obviously doesn't have to have the plastics together by tomorrow.

Sure it works, but there are about 5k better options.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      And that's exactly what JB Weld is. Only thing I see wrong with it is that it's a relatively expensive brand. OTOH, the stuff does indeed work on just about everything and the color would blend pretty well with the original material.
      Actually... It is a better material then standard ABS 2 part epoxy... JB Weld is a more molecular dense polymer epoxy... It is gasoline and other fluorocarbon impermeable. Also can withstand a higher heat and pressure tolerance then most ABS 2-part epoxies. It also allows paint to bond well (which is why it is suitable as a bondo replacement imho). Ya it is a little expensive but I have used it on a ton of plastics and metals and has yet to fail.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      Not saying it won't work, just that its a stupid idea when fairings for the bike are still available and he obviously doesn't have to have the plastics together by tomorrow.

Sure it works, but there are about 5k better options.
      Thought the name of the game (as the OP listed) was to do this as cheap as possible but to make it look as stock as possible... Why spend a couple hundred bucks on front fairings when you can patch them and paint them for maybe 10 bucks in patch material and 10-20 bucks in paint? If you do it properly they will look exactly like brand new plastics and will last just as long (plus if it gets dropped or someone nicks it, you dont get as ****ed off because you didnt spend a couple hundred bucks on it). He also stated he appreciates stuff more when he works on it and this is a perfect learning experience and project to do... Hell If i was him i would just get the jb weld or whatever and attempt to do the fairings myself.. If it doesn't work or turn out well you go ahead and buy the plastics and you are out what.. 10 bucks?

As for the headlight.. Should be able to get a buffing wheel for cheap at a place like harbor freight and get those scratches out (depending on how deep they are). or you can replace it.. your choice... just options and easy things you can do yourself instead of shelling out the money.

Granted, this is all depending on if that front fairing is intact otherwise.. now that i look closely at the pictures it appears possibly the left side of the front fairing is broken off? Can't tell by the picture but looks like a possibility...

Edit: P'd-Off is a curse word?
      Last edited by numus; 02-20-2012, 10:31 PM.

Comment

So he can get fairings brand new with perfect paint, or he can spend $10 and glue the stock ones back together...k...

This is a gsxr, not a Katana

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

So he can get fairings brand new with perfect paint, or he can spend $10 and glue the stock ones back together...k...

I can find a lot of things i would rather buy for my motorcycle with 500 dollars than plastics...
          Just spent 200 dollars on the rear tire (picking up tomorrow)... He is going to have to replace both tires (300-500 right there)... New front rim (dont even want to know how much on that)...

The fact it is a gsxr and not a katana doesnt phase me.. My buddy has i believe an 06 or 07 750 and his sister has a 04 600.... Rode both of them and will take my Katana any day of the week... Much more comfortable on long rides....
          Last edited by numus; 02-20-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
            Rode both of them and will take my Katana any day of the week...
            Thats because you live in florida, where turns are nothing but a myth. A gsxr is a sportbike, not a 20yo carburated sport touring bike

Pa Kat - I have the stock hugger from my 636, not sure if the first gen 600s came with them but if you want it it's yours for shipping, I got no use for it.

Comment

Thats because you live in florida, where turns are nothing but a myth. A gsxr is a sportbike, not a 20yo carburated sport touring bike

Pa Kat - I have the stock hugger from my 636, not sure if the first gen 600s came with them but if you want it it's yours for shipping, I got no use for it.
              Ya... I live in North Florida... As in canopy highways and hills... still more comfortable on that "20 year old carburated sport touring bike" then the high powered ball slammer...

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Kat View Post
                Yeah, I love the "stitches look", LoL!!!

I'm going to go with the overseas plastics for a hair under $500.00. Want to make it look as stock as possible.
                ok...that brings you up to $1350 right out the gate. considering that it is an 02, only a 600 as opposed to at least a 750 or 1000, it might be worth what in "good condition"? $2k-2500? that leaves you $650 for the rest of the parts needed, and not go over $2k, and you are still going to have a bike that was wrecked, then put back together with cheap Chinese plastic.

not trying to pizz in your cornflakes or anything....just giving you a dose of reality. I am with a couple of the others who suggested street fighter. that $500 can go a long way in tricking it out, and it will be more "solid" than it will be with that cheap chinese plastic on it.

just my 2 cents.

umm, it's an 02 gixxer, and only a 600 at that. plus it's wrecked. just how much do you think it's worth?
                Last edited by Mojoe; 02-21-2012, 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I see the pro's and cons of each argument. I may TRY the JB, but yes, there are some broken off pieces here and there. For the time being, they'll be JB'd, doesn't have to look perfect or anything. SnF, I'll check about the hugger tomorrow and let ya know then. As far as it being an '02 and only a 600, I honestly don't care. I'm not in the market to make money, I'm out for a project that I can afford now. I just don't have the money to buy an '09 or whatever. This was in my price range, and as I've said before, I can spend a little money here and there. I'm not much into the SF look, or I would just do that. I've got something that I can work on for a while, and during that time, I can still ride the bike. I'm pretty pleased.
                  sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                  2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                  2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

well like I said, wasn't trying to bash your project. $850 is a good base price to start with, and I can see the potential. it's just that you kinda lose me with the chinese body kit. the only practical use I see for those fairings is if you had a bike given to you, or got it dirt chirp, and the $500 for the body kit can help you turn it over for a little profit. but as far as putting them on a bike that you plan on keeping....well, I just think $500 could get you oem replacement parts and cover a pint job if you do it yourself. even if you are not much of a painter, anyone can pretty much paint a satin or flat black.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I see the pro's and cons of each argument. I may TRY the JB, but yes, there are some broken off pieces here and there. For the time being, they'll be JB'd, doesn't have to look perfect or anything. SnF, I'll check about the hugger tomorrow and let ya know then. As far as it being an '02 and only a 600, I honestly don't care. I'm not in the market to make money, I'm out for a project that I can afford now. I just don't have the money to buy an '09 or whatever. This was in my price range, and as I've said before, I can spend a little money here and there. I'm not much into the SF look, or I would just do that. I've got something that I can work on for a while, and during that time, I can still ride the bike. I'm pretty pleased.
                      Do you have the broken off pieces? If so it is easy to patch them together..

If you are artistics, i have seen people use playdough or another cheap putty to make a template model and then take pieces of the plastics they have and fill in the rest with fiberglass... Could never tell the plastic was broken or missing pieces... but that is only really if you are artistic or have the time to do it.

Otherwise always check other forums and ebay and other places because people are always buying new plastics instead of painting their old scrapped and dropped ones and you can usually pick up their used ones for cheap if you pay shipping...

Comment

Sadly, I don have them. I need to start looking for at LEAST a replacement piece for the rear though, that one is pretty screwed up. Though, I'm not sure I'll be buying any parts any time this month. Maybe towards the middle of March. I'll just have to see what I can do with what I have laying around here.
                        sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                        2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Sadly, I don have them. I need to start looking for at LEAST a replacement piece for the rear though, that one is pretty screwed up. Though, I'm not sure I'll be buying any parts any time this month. Maybe towards the middle of March. I'll just have to see what I can do with what I have laying around here.

Just watch out for the shipping prices on some of these...
                          Should be able to get it for fairly cheap.
                          Last edited by numus; 02-21-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

So, I've been plugging away at the bike for a day or so, got the tail light fixed, and some fairings patched. I bought a couple packs of JB to try and make some more permanent fixes on the fairings. Still keeping my eyes out for a front wheel, rearsets, headlight bracket and headlight. Those are the things that will likely cost me the most money. The tires, chain and sprockets will of course, be new, so no big deal there. Going to do some more work on it tonight, I'll grab a couple of pictures afterwards. The tail light is a MASSIVE improvement!!!
                            sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                            2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

So, I cleaned up the rear wheel a bit:

Patched up the tail light:

Got the exhaust pulled away from the tire:

No more zip-ties holding the rear section together, and getting the plastics ready to JB:

The JB was a bit too cold, so I gave up for the night. I'll wait 'till I get some more heat over there:

The main room of my man-cave/bike station:

I'm really considering some black and white tile though. Thinking that would look pretty sweet. But, before I do anything to improve aesthetics, I'll most likely re-do the plumbing and pipe some heat from my coal boiler over there. My '93 Kat is in the kitchen, and Peachie's '04 is at my brother-in-laws...Might bring it back home tomorrow.
                              Last edited by Pa Kat; 02-26-2012, 07:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              sigpic

2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                              2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

...Got the exhaust pulled away from the tire...
                                Dunno, in the photo it sure looks like the swingarm is still going to hit the can.

The main room of my man-cave/bike station...
                                Jealous.
                                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                                X