X

Exhaust Interchangability

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Interchangability

Now i know that there has been a lot of threads about exhaust fitment and which ones will work with what etc etc... but i have yet to find a sticky or even a thread that can tell me whether or not there is any kind of system interchangability for a Pre 750?

I am currently rebuilding my 1989 GSX 750 and i am looking to get the 4 to 1 exhaust but every place i look only shows a Vance and Hines kit for $350 and it seems every time one gets posted for sale on KR, i just barely seem to miss it and its sold.

My basic question is, will any exhaust kits from other years/ engine sizes fit and work properly on my 750?

Forgive me if i may have overlooked a thread answering my question or anything... Any help would be appreciated since i am looking to replace my cans asap.

Post kat oil pan, pickup, and header swap.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
      Post kat oil pan, pickup, and header swap.
      Are the oil pan bolt patterns the same? if i were to swap out the oil pan and the pickup, i would be able to fit a post exhaust on it? what about the difference in the motors ie: oil cooled vs water cooled?

Comment

Ummmm...there aint a kat produced that was water cooled.
        ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
        Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
          Ummmm...there aint a kat produced that was water cooled.
          Guess im thinking of something else? For some reason i thought that the Post kats were water cooled or something?

Comment

The 2008+ GSXF is water-cooled, but those aren't Katanas.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
              The 2008+ GSXF is water-cooled, but those aren't Katanas.
              OK... thanks for the clarification on that.

So basically what i can do is if i find a post kat exhaust, i can install a post oil pan and pickup and everything will work properly on my pre?

Comment

Yes.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Im gonna ask a stupid question.... the 600 and the 750 exhausts are different right? Meaning i have to put one meant for a 750 on my motor whether it is from a pre or a post Kat?

Comment

The 750 may have slightly larger down pipes, I haven't actually measured a set myself though.
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

i would assume that they are different? From my experience as an automotive mechanic, larger engines use larger pipes. I would think that if the 600's use a smaller pipe, running a 600 exhaust on a 750 would create too much backpressure? Someone correct me if i am wrong?
                      Last edited by 89gsx750; 05-06-2012, 07:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The aftermarket exhausts are the same size 600/750.

My yoshi 4-1 required trimming the belly pan a bit to fit it.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          The aftermarket exhausts are the same size 600/750.

My yoshi 4-1 required trimming the belly pan a bit to fit it.
                          Does this apply to both pre and post Kat Aftermarket kits? Seems like there is more available for the 600 than the 750?
                          Last edited by 89gsx750; 05-06-2012, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 89gsx750 View Post
                            Does this apply to both pre and post Katie Aftermarket kits? Seems like there is more available for the 600 than the 750?
                            Don't know about the post 98 bikes, I've never had one. I've also only seen an aftermarket header from Hindle for post 98.

That was the exhaust manuf's way of cheapening the production, since aftermarket exhausts on touring oriented bikes don't sell nearly as well as pipes for RR bikes. Might as well make them fit both.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                            X