Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Please help with headlight issues. I have no lights.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help with headlight issues. I have no lights.

Ok ths is on a 01 sv650 but pretty much the same headlights H4 12v 55w.
    Ok bought the bike and the high beams did not work only the low beam. I went today and got a new bulb ( bikebandit has both headlights listed as the same ones) So that is the one I buy from the dealership. get home and switch out the left light. Plug it back in and now I don't have any lights this is really a pain in the butt. Can someone chim in and help me out please? Maybe the high beams could of been the rght side and I messed something up?
    sigpic

did you touch the glass of the bulb?
    because it is a halogen any oil ,even the natural oils in your skin can cause the glass to fail and the bulb to fail prematurely
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Take the bulb back out. Get a voltometer and put a both leads into different openings on the head light plug. Make sure it is getting voltage.
      I invite you to church.

Comment

Ok yes I did touch with bare hands.. Someone on the Sv forum told me about a 10A fuse
        sigpic

Comment

check fuses first then check the bulbs you should b able to see if the bulb is good and becareful not to touch the glass like the other guy said

Comment

Originally posted by 600toStart View Post
            Take the bulb back out. Get a voltometer and put a both leads into different openings on the head light plug. Make sure it is getting voltage.

this advice is easier then checking fuses because my bike i have to take fairings off to check the fuse box
            this is the best icon eva

Comment

Originally posted by 96katana96 View Post
              this advice is easier then checking fuses because my bike i have to take fairings off to check the fuse box
              I'm not sure where the fuse box is on the Sv I'm
              guessing it's under seat near battery? I don't have voltmeter and because all I have is the phone I can download the
              Sv free manual

K just found a lil orange test light, grounded it to metal and both bulb plugs lit it up.
              Last edited by acraze; 09-28-2009, 06:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by acraze View Post
                I'm not sure where the fuse box is on the Sv I'm
                guessing it's under seat near battery? I don't have voltmeter and because all I have is the phone I can download the
                Sv free manual

K just found a lil orange test light, grounded it to metal and both bulb plugs lit it up.

SOOO
                test light works , bulb doesnt !!!
                Get new bulb , DO NOT touch glass this time

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                  SOOO
                  test light works , bulb doesnt !!!
                  Get new bulb , DO NOT touch glass this time
                  Will do.. thumps up. Hope auto zone carries the bulb, just checked hi and low beam fuses and they looked good.
                  sigpic

Comment

yes autozone or napa should have in stock
                    Avoid "high wattage "eqivelents
                    high wattage will likely cause wiring harness failure

Comment

I was just wondering... I might of left oil
                      from my fingers on the glass but the thought just occured to me that light never came on after replacing bulb. Isn't what screws up bulbs the heat? I dunno auto zone guy ( who used to own a katana) said the bulb looked good and all. I guess I'll just take it there tommorow for him to check out with fancy gadgets.
                      Last edited by acraze; 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
                      sigpic

Comment

Nevermind it's the wires or headlight connector.... Both lights came on after I wiggled it a lil. To dark to check anything now.
                        sigpic

Comment

Update but still

Ok update again.......
                          Got the guy at autozone ( rides a ninja 650) help me with checking what was getting power. The fuse for the HI's were getting power. The plugs were clean. The only think not getting power was the YELLOW hi wires. Now this is going to be a major pain but yea the yellow wire wasn't getting juice. I guess I'll check from headlights to fuses to see what is happening.
                          sigpic

Comment

that wire only runs from the left grip switch assy to the headlight usually. not much work to chase down or test that. prolly just a grubby switch, or connector.
                            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                            X