X

New face shield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New face shield

Okay, I recently purchased a new tinted face shield for my helmet to replace my clear one that came with the helmet. I decided to take the bike out for a spin to ensure the face shield was working properly....lol. It was about 55 degrees and overcast out, so what better excuse to get on the bike right.

After cruising around the city for a while I noticed it was around 730 pm and starting to get dark, so I raced the bike back to my storage unit because I don't like being out at night too much until Spring/Summer. After I arrive at my storage locker around 750 pm, I'm excited that I made it back before it got too dark. Upon taking off my helmet, I then realized that the freaking tinted face shield made it look darker than it actually was..... so I actually had about another good 45 min of riding left! I just laughed it off and put the bike back in hiding. My eyes had adjusted to the light....... I'm such a noub!!

Oh yeah, while I was out riding I noticed I was about to run out of gas in the heart of downtown Columbus. In the process of cruising, I was passing a gas station that appeared to come out of nowhere (new tinted faceshield) so I immediately checked my blind spot, checked the mirror and jammed the brakes to make a quick right turn onto a small side street. While I was turning, I noticed a sign that said one way/ DO NOT EBTER.... As I turned I noticed a police car approx 50 yards in front of me driving directly towards me He slowed down and let me turn into the gas station. I immediately hopped off the bike and started acting like something was wrong with it while he observed. After a couple of minutes, he just drove away. Lucky break I guess....
    Last edited by Catcha23; 04-09-2009, 12:05 PM. Reason: 4got something
    [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

I always ride with a tinted visor...too lazy I guess to swap it out for the clear when it gets dark out. I just ride with the visor up when it gets too dark to see out of the tinted visor.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

I carry a set of yellow safety/shooting/driving glasses under my seat -- when it gets too dark for the tint, I open the visor and put on the seneca-yellow glasses, which improves night vision and contrast... then leave the visor up.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
      CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
      The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
        I carry a set of yellow safety/shooting/driving glasses under my seat -- when it gets too dark for the tint, I open the visor and put on the seneca-yellow glasses, which improves night vision and contrast... then leave the visor up.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.

Hey... I already have been doing that also... Great minds think alike...
        2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
        Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
        "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
        Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
        Veteran of the United States Air Force.
        "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

same here, glasses I use have multiple lenses for the realy bright days to double up the tint
          Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

Originally posted by JaxKat View Post
            Hey... I already have been doing that also... Great minds think alike...
            yes, we do

Now, someone asked me a while ago why I don't use a clear windshield and tinted glasses instead... And here's the answer:
            (A) I drive slower at night because it's dark out (well, comparatively anyway), so a full visor provides better protection when I'm moving fastest.
            (B) My tinted visors are fully UV-protected. With the visor down, that means absolutely no UV (under 1%) is getting through to my eyes, as verses to sunglasses where my peripheral vision could be getting drowned in it and helping ruin it for the long term. Additionally, in the case of my own visors, they are titanium-misted (real metal), which cuts down on the total amount of light (not just the UV light) passing through by virtual of microscopic flecks of metal bouncing light outwards again...

Yes, in an ideal world, I'd have a yellow visor and a titanium visor available at the same time and swap. The reality is that if I need a second visor, I'd actually rather carry a second helmet (like on long road-trips -- nice to put on a lid not filled with sweat anyway) -- I detest swapping visors at sundown.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

cyber you have nolan helmets dont you? ever try the pin lock system? i think they offer, clear, yellow, orange and smoke?

i know my next helmet will be a nolan with the little smoke visor to flip down.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                cyber you have nolan helmets dont you? ever try the pin lock system? i think they offer, clear, yellow, orange and smoke?
                I do run the nolan flip-ups as my standard helmet... And I've tried the anti-fog pin-lock, but it didn't fair well with the N102 (because of the external sun-visor acting as a rain-water-guide to lead water into the visor's inside).

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                i know my next helmet will be a nolan with the little smoke visor to flip down.
                I'm looking at buying an N103 with the integrated visor inside the main visor (as verses to the 102 that had it outside). I'm also looking at the Schuberth...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I carry my clear shield with me if there's a chance I may be out after dark .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X