No announcement yet.
X

safe alternatives to bluetooth helmet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safe alternatives to bluetooth helmet?

Ok, me being new to riding, I know I'm gonna want to at least listen to music while I'm on the road, not in both ears of . Are any of the higher end blue tooths effective? I will eventually go to a bluetooth helmet, but can't afford it right now.

Get a Scala Rider G4, an SMH10 or similar. They're VERY effective and well-received within the riding community. You're NOT going to get the same sound as with earbuds, but you're be able to receive and make calls, listen to music, get directions from your GPS, etc.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I haven't had a chance to try any of them but I've read decent things about this one

I'd also like peoples' opinions of a bluetooth setup

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Problem with an add-on BT helmet setup is that unless you get a BT integrated helmet you're going to have a big blobby chunk stuck on the side of your helmet. Personally, I hate that. I went with a wired intercom system from Autocom that lets me add a BT module for the cellphone (including A2DP music streaming). It's also got support for hooking up a CB or FRS radio for bike-to-bike comm although that's not really important to me. For me, the wire is less annoying than the blob on the side of the helmet and the voice clarity at speed is incredibly good.

I'm still waiting for something to show up on the market for a reasonable price that does it all via BT without the huge blob catching air on the side of the helmet. If you really want something now then the Scala-rider system seems like the way to go. Everyone I know who has one likes it and the case is contoured well enough that apparently the wind noise isn't too bad.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

My new HJC has a cut-out to add a chatterbox, but everyone and I mean EVERYONE to whom I've talked has said chatterbox blows. However, I bought the UCLEAR HBC-100, which has no boom mic and one of the smallest 'big-blobby chunks' on the market. It's half the size of my G4. Now, its bike-to-bike is lacking in comparison to my G4 which has ten times the range, but everything else works VERY well, and the lack of a boom mic is a BIG thing for me because it's always in the way. The mic on the UCLEAR is integrated within the speakers near your ear, and it uses a proprietaty military-developed technology to filter out road and wind noise. Made a test call the other day and my mother could NOT tell I was on my bike, and I had two big Tsukigi cannons booming behind me.

Last edited by Nero; 03-30-2012, 08:15 AM.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Does it fit into the cut-out in your helmet?
            If not, you've still got a blob hanging off the side of your helmet, catching air. How's the wind noise inside the helmet?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

As the UCLEAR doesn't have a boom mic, the placement doesn't need to be as far forward as with others. With that, you can mount the unit behind the helmet's slip stream, so the added noise is nada. The box is also MUCH smaller and more streamlined than my G4, but for that reason, it sacrifices the FM radio functionality and range between bikes. However, the range is still a little over a football field, which i find is sufficient for my needs, as I'm only using it to comm with my passenger, take calls and listen to music. My Scala Rider G4 is a honker in comparison, and that is one of the reasons it is collecting dust.

With my new modular, the lack of a boom mic means it doesn't get in the way when I flip up the face, and if I transfer the unit to my full-face, I don't need to fidget with mic placement. I have nothing but great things to say about it and it gets great reviews everywhere. A new one is coming out in April that will greatly extend the range, but I don't need it. The sound kicks arse over my G4 and that says alot.

Watch the Revzilla video:

Shop For Motorcycle Electronics & Mounts - Free Shipping, No Hassle Returns and the Lowest Prices - Guaranteed

Price is $179 directly from the UCLEAR site.
              Last edited by Nero; 03-30-2012, 08:16 AM.
              =USAF= Retired

Comment

Thanks nero. that will definitely be the way I go.

Comment

Originally posted by kwilliamskw30 View Post
                  Ok, me being new to riding, I know I'm gonna want to at least listen to music while I'm on the road, not in both ears of . Are any of the higher end blue tooths effective? I will eventually go to a bluetooth helmet, but can't afford it right now.
                  Some of those add on systems are alot. You can get an Oneal blutooth helmet for $200 delivered, just got back from a 400 mile drive with it, loved it. I listened to Pandora off my iphone, had the gps on the whole time, daughter even called me to tell me that she got a new job.

Comment

It's kinda cool being able to go for a ride without losing touch with the world. Means you don't have to give up one to have the other. For me, the whole reason for adding on the phone was because I found myself not riding because I couldn't afford to be out of contact. Before things started going haywire in my life I really enjoyed being out of contact, though. Compromises...

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      It's kinda cool being able to go for a ride without losing touch with the world. Means you don't have to give up one to have the other. For me, the whole reason for adding on the phone was because I found myself not riding because I couldn't afford to be out of contact. Before things started going haywire in my life I really enjoyed being out of contact, though. Compromises...
                      I'm with ya there. One of the things I like about riding is just getting out and letting the world behind. I like having the wife or my son with me, and it would be nice to chat while they're on board, but we get by with "taps and points". It is nice to have music sometimes, but I can do without it for the most part.

On topic: I just use buds, so I have nothing constructive to offer.
                      sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                      2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                      2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Kat View Post
                        I have nothing constructive to offer.
                        As usual...
                        ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                        Semper Fi

Comment

I agree. I have dumb-down my responses to your posts, and it's killing my intelligence.
                          sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                          2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                          2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                            Semper Fi

Comment

Lmao. Yeah my wife wants me to wait on getting anything just yet. Afraid it'll create a distraction, but that will change when I'm riding and she wants to get in touch with me. Ha ha.

Comment

Working...
                              X