X

1988 Suzuki Katana GSX600FJ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Suzuki Katana GSX600FJ

Started a new Flickr album to archive the older pics and restoration progress.

Anyone else out there have a white and red 1988 Katana 600? Always looking for more parts and samples of this bike.

My 1988 Suzuki Katana GSX600FJ Restoration. After buying this exact bike in 1988 and riding it from NJ to California in 1988 and back a year later, I sold it with about 21k miles in October of 1991. Since then, I had regretted it and decided to search for the bike with the old VIN number in February of 2015. Could not believe I found it for sale on Craigslist, bought it sight unseen, and finally picked it up. The previous owners changed to aftermarket fairings and had a blue tank on it. The seat was recovered in black vinyl. It still had the signal lights and Vance and Hines exhaust I installed on it. The restoration is now completed in May of 2017, exactly 29 years after the original purchase. I paid $3199 for it when it was new. The total purchase, powder coating, machine shop, and parts added up to $3208. Aside from the powder coating, boring the cylinders, head work, and fork rebuilds, I completed all of the work myself. Even handled the start up, balancing of the carbs, and tuning to be a daily rider. Of course it will not be, as I think I burned 8 of my 9 lives on this thing back in the 80's. Please check out the shots and share your thoughts!
    Last edited by jonnylit; 12-10-2015, 10:39 PM.

Bike looks like most of the pieces are there. Just needs lots of TLC. Nice project. Keep us updated with your progress. Looks good ! ! !

Comment

Quite a bit of work in the past year

Many new updates at the bottom of the Flickr album. Wiring is next.

Comment

I rebuilt a blue and white model, ungraded the bad parts of the 88. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134329 Good luck with the project.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

New photos updated in the Flickr album

Bike is really coming along. Nearing start-up.

Comment

wow, great history you have with the Kat, and looks like a beautiful bike! Hope you get to take it for a ride soon if you haven't already!
            yep, I think I'm finally responsible enough to ride a bike that I don't have to pedal ; )

Comment

Working...
            X