X

New tires on my 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tires on my 750

Friday I went to the local stealership to get some chain lube and fork oil when I noticed they had some tires on sale. They had a set of pilot powers for $119 rear and $93 front. Couldn't pass up those prices and carried them out of the store. I was already planning on taking the modified swingarm off the 600 and moving it to the 750 anyway, but picking up this 180 rear tire sped up the process. I scored a 5.5" rear rim on fleabay last week for only $20 and after a trip to the sandblaster and a quick coat of Duplicolor Silver Aluminum Wheel Paint, I was ready to put it all together.

Here is a picture of how she sits today. Looks completely stock except new tires, doesn't she?

A before picture from the rear.

And a current rear view. I was very surprised the 180 is still within the mudflap and looks like it belongs there.

This is what I am trying to figure out. It's a 5.5" rim with swept spokes, but the numbers are on the spoke instead of the edge of the rim. Which works out nicely with me wanting to match the rims like it's all original since the stock Kat front rim numbers are also on the spoke.

Here is the 3 digit code from the rim. From what I have found so far, it came from a 1990 GSXR 1100. Not sure about that though.

And a picture of the tire. Just gotta post that too...

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

good job
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Looks nice!
      I finally got home and get to ride my KAT!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Ditto!
        sigpic
        98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
        Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

very nice

Comment

Today was the first full ride to work and I must say that Pilot Powers ROCK!! Maybe it's because the Metzler Metronic rear and Battlax front were of an unknown age and if you look at the "before" picture from the rear it was pretty squared off. I can't be for sure, but I think they are also bias ply tires. I haven't found any markings on either of them saying they are radials. I am looking very forward to finishing scrubbing in the Pilot Powers and having some fun with them!

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Ok. Time for an update on the Pilot Powers and the 5.5" rear rim. I now have 8 days of riding in on this setup and I must say.... wow! We had a post-wide motorcycle safety ride on Friday and we put in about 160 miles round trip. There were a few places that I would've been a bit worried with the old tires, but with these Pilot Powers it just layed into the curve and held a rock-solid line with NO signs of wavering in the slightest. I thought this bike rode solid before, but this new setup is just beyond words that I know to use to explain it. A whole new level of confidence with this bike now.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Good tires on a good ride... what more can you ask for?

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Late to the game but +1 on all. The bike looks great and good tires are a must. Did you ever find out for sure what the rims came from?
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Wild-Bill - No, I haven't gotten any additional information on the rim. The only information still points to the 1990 GSXR 1100.

How's McGuire these days? I was stationed at Ft. Dix from 90-92 and ate most of my meals over on McGuire at that AWESOME dining facility. It was pretty amazing having someone come around and pick up our trays from the table. It does NOT work that way at Army chow halls.

Greg

COURAGE -

Comment

Looks Very cool. I've been considering doing the 5.5 on the 89 600 project bike I've been putting together. Is this one of Kreylyn's widened swing arms? I need to start putting together a parts list and start the seach. Anyway looks great.
                      Richard
                      96 Suzuki GSX750F
                      89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                      05 Yamaha WR450F
                      05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

McGuire's not terrible, it's still in the middle of NJ, though, in the middle of nowhere. It's 30-45 minutes to get anywhere. The chow hall is still pretty good, though. Definitely a step up from any Army chow hall I've ever eaten in. That may change though. It's a joint base now (Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst) so eventually things like the chow halls may even out across the base. Hopefully that means the Army and Navy chow halls will improve, not that the AF chow hall will decline!

Did you have to do anything to the brakes to get those rims on? (Swap up rotors, change out the caliper bracket/brace, etc)

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Huh, I thought all Navy chow halls were civillian run anymore. The one here in Mayport is decent and you can't beat $2.50 for a nice hot meal. Still though, I usually don't eat there unless it's Tuesday. Surf and turf day! For $2.50.
                          "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

Been a long time since I ate in a Navy chow hall. The food on the USS Midway (when it was still in service) was really good. NAS Sigonella's chow hall was terrible. My BIL (Navy) told me that shipboard food is good and shore food stinks.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Those rims look great .Your making me think about that look on my silver Kat .I just did new pilots on my 05 750 and love the feel.

NICE JOB on the rims
                              I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Working...
                              X