X

Katana-ish SS Bike Recommedations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djct_watt View Post
    Yeah, in all likelihood I will keep the kat, sell the car.... But I'll be exploring some options. Unless I'm 100% in love, I won't make the jump. I was looking at 919's but haven't run into for sale yet.

there were quite a bit on ebay there for a while. A wv shop was selling them new for $5500, but that would be quite expensive to ship it to ca.

www.wristtwisters.com are alot of 919's and hornets(same as the 919, but europe's name) usually a few for sale.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Speed triple....... SSSTTTUUUUUUPPPIIDDD fun bike. Reliable and comfortable and very modern and lets not forget the insurance guy does come into the equation. I was going to get a zx14 till they said full coverage was 3500 a year for my perfect driving record 40 y old $$$.
      For some reason triumphs are not considered sport bikes, shhh, dont tell anyone. I honestly consider the sprint st a cousin of the kat1100.

Comment

hondastreetfigh is selling his 2004 919 over on wristtwisters now... just posted about it today

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Man you guys are making all too tempting! But I am the one who asked, and thanks for the replies. I'm currently looking at a couple of 919's. So far it's one of the best candidates. But quite honestly, I just love the Kat so much. I think a big part of it has to do with me starting off on the kat and being so familiar with it. I know that keeping the Kat will make the most sense with the money I'll get from selling my cage.
          WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

5th or 6th gen VFR would be my first 2 choices

919 or black bird 3rd choice
            sigpic
            89 Katana -94 Katana
            02 CBR F4i - 07 VFR 800
            03 SuperHawk (sold) -
            84 VF500f

Comment

+1 on the VFR.

Comment

919 at Berts MegaMall

Originally posted by djct_watt View Post
                Man you guys are making all too tempting! But I am the one who asked, and thanks for the replies. I'm currently looking at a couple of 919's. So far it's one of the best candidates. But quite honestly, I just love the Kat so much. I think a big part of it has to do with me starting off on the kat and being so familiar with it. I know that keeping the Kat will make the most sense with the money I'll get from selling my cage.
                Bets MegaMall was selling 919's for 6499 last week or so. If you buy from them tell them to stuff their shipping and handling.
                Bill P 91311

Comment

Go with the Blackbird. you will be very happy you did.
                  My carbon foot print is bigger than yours.

1988 GSX1100F with 93 plastic, Avon AV45 front & AV36 rear rubber and a SS2R full exhaust system.
                  Other bikes:
                  2 1985 CR500
                  1 1987 CR500
                  1 2003 CR85 Supermoto

Comment

So after trying a few bikes, I'm still very content with the Kat. I'll be holding onto it for at least a couple more years!

Just thought I'd give an update.
                    WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

I am surprised nobody mentioned late models Kawi ZX-11 and the awesome ZZR-1200 which strikes me as the very definition of a Super-Katana (Along with the equally awesome somewhat sportier Blackbird).

the ZZR has ergonomics (seat, pegs, bars, even cockpit layout) very close to the Kat 750, a 160hp, 90lbs/ft liquid cooled engine and an alien-invasion styling any self-respecting Post-98 Kat owner should find appealing.

Insurance premiums are low as this is rightly classified as a sports-tourer (as is the Kat).

Really what's not to love?

Comment

Also to consider and surpised it hasn't been mentioned .. if you were looking at the honda 919, have a gander at the Kawasaki Z1000 also. That will be my next bike, if I ever decide to trade the Kat.
                        2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                        Black
                        Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                        Red
                        Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

VFR you say?
                          That is a super sweet ride as many,many have said for me to go that route before buying my 98' 750 kat.Also they have a really huge following at vfrd.com they all ride vfr's as this forum rides mainly if not all kats.94'-97 were bike of the year.BUT MOST WILL TELL YOU go newer.i believe that would be the gen 5's.they make 6 gen years.94-97 are very hard to find.With myself talking to VFR owners they are the so call "OLD MANS SPORT TOURING" bike.They are really cumfy,nice power band from low all the way up to redline (witch most bikes torque is near redline).Most of the owners of VFR's I have noticed take maintence to above average highs.They are guys mostly in there late 30's to ???.They keep the bikes well into the 30,000 range but have recites and keep logs on there maintaince they do.There a different breed of owners that's very interesting to me.VFR's after curtain years that come with ABS brakes and FI.those are nice features to have.The thing i really love is the single sided swing arm on the Viffers(as they call them).It looks so cool and very high tec.Now the only downfall that I have heard were they tend to be top heavy.You ride them and they expect it or say hello to the ER! Most Viffer riders will tell you to ride for years before buying one as the VFR will be the last riding bike you'll own and never go back to other companies(the darkside they say)Going to the dealer you will be sitting on the 800 FI model with ABS.These bikes have so much technology in them it's scarry.Older VFR's are narrower and easier to hold on with your legs instead of your hands too.One of the only(and I mean only) reason I didn't buy a VFR is that I wanted an older 700 or 750.They are hard to come by.i didn't want a newer 800 seeing thats alot of power(but smooth).The thing with the VFR is that they started with the 500 then went to a 700 then 750 then jump right to an 800.So you now have the choice.I wanted used 700/750 but like I said before there hard to come by.I hope some of this helps you out.Sparkyd31

Comment

Originally posted by Tech View Post
                            I am surprised nobody mentioned late models Kawi ZX-11 and the awesome ZZR-1200 which strikes me as the very definition of a Super-Katana (Along with the equally awesome somewhat sportier Blackbird).

the ZZR has ergonomics (seat, pegs, bars, even cockpit layout) very close to the Kat 750, a 160hp, 90lbs/ft liquid cooled engine and an alien-invasion styling any self-respecting Post-98 Kat owner should find appealing.

Insurance premiums are low as this is rightly classified as a sports-tourer (as is the Kat).

Really what's not to love?
                            The ZZR1200 is also on my list of next bikes. That and the Aprilia Futura.

I've also read how the headlights on the Zed look like bowling pins laying down.
                            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I've had four bikes. all suzuki's. In this order, katana 600,gsxr 750,gsxr750, gsxr1000.

I was like you, got bored of the katana after a year or so.

Its a great learner bike.

I'd say go for the 750. It the same size as the 600, but has a stronger engine.

you won't regret it and you'll wonder why it to you so long to upgrade.

remember, those are "real" sportsbikes. they handle way better than your katana. you might have to re-learn how to ride.

Comment

The 919 and Speed Triple are great bikes (I owned a Speed Triple). The only issue one might have with one of these coming off a Kat is the lack of a full fairing. You really do notice it after several miles going 75 mph. A full fairing makes a huge difference in one's ability to handle longer rides.

Comment

Working...
                                X