X

Idle Adjustment Screw Location?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Adjustment Screw Location?

Hey, I Have a 1988 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600. And it runs greats, just the rpms are at like 650-800. And I want to make it 1100-1200. Where on my bike is the Idle Adjustment Screw? Will I have to take off my fairings?
    Thanks! Kyle

If you're sitting on the bike, it should be accessible through the opening on the left main upper fairing. It should be a brass colored screw with knobbies on the edges and a phillips head screw point in the center. It should be connected to the bank of carbs by a tension wire that is covered in black rubber. Right turns up the idle.
    Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

^He's got it.

EDIT: Also, if you find that the idle screw is not changing your idle at all, then you probably have a clogged jet in the pilot circuit and it might be carb cleaning time!
      Last edited by MikeyZ; 03-22-2011, 01:14 PM.

Comment

does this apply to all kats like per-say a 2002 year model? or only pre models?

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi3432 View Post
          does this apply to all kats like per-say a 2002 year model? or only pre models?

For the most part, except the new Kats have plastic knobs instead of the metal.

krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

haha nice. i found it but when i turned it, it did nothing. could having the choke on be the reason nothing happened? ill have to warm it up completely and then adjust tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi3432 View Post
              haha nice. i found it but when i turned it, it did nothing. could having the choke on be the reason nothing happened? ill have to warm it up completely and then adjust tomorrow

The choke lever adds lots of extra fuel, so yeah... won't have much effect with that on when you adjust the idle, but...

Never touch the idle adjuster unless the bike has been fully warmed up.

If you find you "need" to adjust it other times because the bike won't run or stay running, then you need clean the carbs.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The idle adjuster screw fell off when I was adjusting the idle.. The end of it where there is a spring on it.. I want to connect it back on.. Where is it go exactly and how do I go about it. This is a 1990 katana gsx 600f.. Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Blasty from the pasty.

I'm pretty sure on the 88 the screw is in the center of the #2 and #3 float bowls.

If your adjuster fell out (any model) the easiest way to replace it is to pull the carbs, stick the adjuster back in, and turn it to the right.
                  Last edited by steves; 08-30-2012, 06:36 AM.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    Blasty from the pasty.

I'm pretty sure on the 88 the screw is in the center of the #3 and #4 float bowls.

If your adjuster fell out (any model) the easiest way to replace it is to pull the carbs, stick the adjuster back in, and turn it to the right.
                    Thanks for the quick reply... I dont need to replace mine, I just have to screw it back on... Is it possible to screw it back on without pulling the carbs? so what your saying is its in between #3 and #4, Im assuming thats the right side of the bike correct? would I be able to see where it screws into without pulling the carbs? Sorry for so many questions.. Im still a newb to the mechanical aspect of bikes, I know cars. LOL thank you for the help, I greatly appreciate it

Comment

You might be able to, I just don't see how you could. I guess even a blind squirrel gets a nut from time to time.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

No, it's between 2 and 3. On #3.

Comment

Working...
                        X