X

Seafoam

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafoam

Bought some stuff Called Seafoam from the shop and put it in the gas. It is used to clean out the carbs of s*** left behind by newer gas. Found I needed to turn my idle back. This is a good thing?

What do you think ( If you heard of the stuff that is ) ?
    Ride hard or stay at home
    I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

I've only used it in my older cars I've had.
    Usually does a great job, getting rid of built up carbon and cleaning fuel injectors.
    There are lots of videos on youtube of people seafoaming their cars.

I am going to have to try it out on the bike when I get some miles on it.

Comment

I no longer use Seafoam, i use Berrymans Chemtool B12.

its seafoam without the "pale oil" that smokes and stinks, and does a better job of cleaning the carbs, and helps treat ethanol fuels.

plus, its like $3 a bottle instead of $8

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Seafoam is a great product, however I've never had the need to turn down my idle when using it. +1 on the Chemtool B12 as well.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Where did you get the B12 Jay? I always use Seafoam, but I'm liking the price tag of the Chemtool a bit more...Plus the smoke and stinkage I could do without.

As far as turning the idle back...Mine idled high for a bit, but after it burned off, it was fine.
          sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
          2004 Katana 600 - Gone
          2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Yeah been using it as a system cleaner for decades

as far as a fuel system stabilizer, de-gunker and cleaner goes they dont get much better.

but it will not unclog plugged up jets or solve a tunning issue.
            dirty carbs need to be pulled apart to be cleaned in most cases.

I have run dirty carbs with seafoam to see if it cleans them and it does eliminate a lot of the varnish, corrosion and deposits left behind by poor fuels and storage. Floats that had varnish build up were cleaned nicely, green corrosion was greatly reduced. It also work great in old fuel tanks or tank with bad fuel that need to be flushed.
            I have also used it for removing carbon from valves, pistons during engine rebuilding.

its good stuff to keep clean carbs clean, keeps fuel stabilized for storage and helps restore performance buy eliminating any minor corrosion and build up that could be choking off passages and jets. Also helps remove carbon deposits in the intake runners valave and combustion chamber.
            however do not miss use it.. lots of people run it far to often. It will reduce power and economy while treating an engine. once or twice a year is more then enough.
            Do not use it in the crank case.

higher idle is possible remember the more you use the less fuel per volume through the carbs so you actually lean out the fual/air mixture slightly. Its like running pre-mixed 2 stroke fuel in your tank
            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 05-01-2011, 01:49 PM.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Whenever I failed to drain the carbs in the winter, a little seafoam in the spring seemed to smooth out the rough idling.
              Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Kat View Post
                Where did you get the B12 Jay? I always use Seafoam, but I'm liking the price tag of the Chemtool a bit more...Plus the smoke and stinkage I could do without.

As far as turning the idle back...Mine idled high for a bit, but after it burned off, it was fine.
                Should find it in the auto section of your local Walmart. Or autozone an Advanced Auto.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                  Should find it in the auto section of your local Walmart. Or autozone an Advanced Auto.

yup... Walmart.

See My Garage for mods...
                  T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                  Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

How often should someone use seafoam or b12? My bike has 1600 miles on it and I just want to know when I should start worrying about it.
                    2006 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                      yup... Walmart.
                      Heh, probably right beside the SeaFoam, LoL. I know, I don't pay attention very often.
                      sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                      2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                      2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

I throw some B12 in every other tank of gas along with 1/2oz of two stroke oil.

Seafoam is my "bike has been/will be sitting for a bit" act.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i use techron. Seems to work better thank seafoam
                          sigpic
                          If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Working...
                          X