No announcement yet.
X

New Lid for my Oblong Head

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scorpion has one with that but it's just the cheekpads that pump up.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Reading through this thread I was all about to suggest the Scorpion. I buddy just showed me the modular Scorpion he bought with the inflatable bladder... sort of like a football helmet.

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      Scorpion has one with that but it's just the cheekpads that pump up.
      2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
      2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
      1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
      1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I've liked everything I've seen about Scorpion, both the helmets and the company. Their helmets seem very well made and thought out, even the low-end EXO-400 I got for my son. We haven't had any problems with his helmet but everyone I've heard of who had a problem got quick and completely satisfactory service from the manufacturer. I still bought another Shoei for myself last fall but it was a really hard choice between it and a Scorpion.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have a weird head shape too...bought a cheap g-max gm68 because it was the best fit out of any helmet I tried on. There are vents galore, and with earplugs, it's relatively quiet. I took it apart and taped over a couple of the vents, and now it's absolutely perfect. The only other helmets that fit well were the icon and arai. Both developed light hotspots after about 15 minutes so that's why I left them at the store. You're best bet is to find that gear shop and spend a few hours there with the helmets on...

Comment

I have what Arai refers to as an intermediate oval. I wear a Vector 2 and have also worn a Scorpion EXO 700 but the 1000 is way to short front to back for me. I have a Shark RSR2 that is just a hair to big now that I am shaving my head but it was a little narrow before.
            Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

I work at a dealership and put people in helmets every day. The number one thing is make sure it fits you. Even different models in the same brand fit differently. Like the Shoei Qwest is more of an round oval and the RF1100 is more of an elongated oval. The Arai's tell you which helmets fit what shape heads so pay attention to that. Also while yes just putting helmets on is a decent way to fit a helmet. Ive found that probably about 75% of people where to big of a helmet. I found this out when I started measuring peoples heads after they have picked a helmet and size out then checking the sizing charts. If your head is 56cm and your wearing a med. shoei or arai then your wearing to big of a helmet. Most people will up the size to make a certain helmet fit when they more than likely need to change the helmet to a different one.

Also give your local dealership a chance. Every dealership I know of in this area is willing to do some sort of price matching. Online stores and dealers all get there stuff from the same venders and at pretty much the same price. I know that I can normally match online prices and then you can keep your money local and keep the economy growing. Most of you think that the dealerships are making tons and tons of money. well they arent. It cost alot to keep over 300 helmets in stock and give you the luxury of going to one store to try on a bunch of different helmets at least give them a chance. If they wont. message me and ill hook you up

Comment

I've posted about the Shoei Qwest before - nicely made and because it's different from other Shoeis, it actually fits my head and is really comfortable. But, it's SO noisy. (So much for their claimed "Noise Reduction Technology"!!??.) Shoei even supplied free the neck curtain to make it quieter - no improvement. Before a ride yesterday, I glued a rubber windlip to the windscreen. That has stopped the air compressor pounding my ear drums, but now the dirty air is around the middle of the helmet and it just roars. I've had no such issues with the HJC or Shark.

If you can, don't just try them in a shop for fit - ask for a test ride.

(I noticed that my old HJC visor is exactly the same contour as the bubble in my DB windscreen. My next move will be to extend the screen with the cut down visor and add the windlip to that.)

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated
                  I guess the next step is to find someplace that has a stock and start trying them on. Got time for more reasearch tho, as I wont be riding until mid may at the earliest.

Comment

I'm gonna agree that you should get your helmet fit in-person. If you order online, you should be willing to go through the hassle of sending it back a couple of times before you even begin the purchasing process. Don't just settle for an odd-fitting helmet because you grew tired of sending them back.

I'm not going to get into the arguments regarding this brand or that, because it's not a brand thing but a price thing. The nicer helmets aren't necessarily more protective, but they tend to be made with higher quality materials that are more durable and comfortable. You'll likely be tempted later to dump an uncomfortable helmet if you buy too cheaply. Good luck finding the proper fitting helmet.

Also, please don't go waste a store's time trying on their gear, then dump out of there and order online. Support your local bike shops. There is often no way they can match an online retailer's prices because they don't deal in volume. Give 'em a break if they're in the ball park and the gear fits correctly.
                    Last edited by Nero; 04-04-2012, 08:51 PM.
                    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                    X